Speedo problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNavara

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem? I have a near new Navara with a speedo problem. When I'm cruzing along at 80kms in traffic it feels like I'm going slower than everyone else. My sat nav says I'm traveling at 74kms where as my speedo is at 80kms. Its always around 6kms slower than the sat nav. This is frustrating me and would like to know if anyone else has the same problem. Cheers

Last edited:
This is not a problem, more like normal, just about all vehicle speedos will read fast, I think its a conspiracy so they get better economy figures.
I have higher profile tyres fitted which has the speedo reading slow by about 2km/h.
Chris

There are quite broad specifications for the accuracy of speedometers. You can see the specs in http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/3E2C9248B201A54FCA25716700806A2F/$file/ADR+18-03+%5BFINAL+FRLI%5D.pdf

The specifications do not allow the spedo to under read. My spedo is further out than BlackNavara's. From 80 km/H it reads nearly 10 km/H fast.

Below is an extract from my link

PeterD

Annex 3

TEST OF SPEEDOMETER ACCURACY FOR CONFORMITY OF PRODUCTION

1. Test conditions

The test conditions shall be as set out in paragraphs*5.2.1. to 5.2.6. of this Regulation.

2. Requirements

The production shall be deemed to conform to this Regulation if the following relationship between the speed indicated on the display of the speedometer*(V1) and the actual speed (V2) is observed:

In the case of vehicles of categories M and N:

0 ≤ (V1

My '06 D22 is absolutely spot on - at all speeds - checked with 2 different GPS units just to be sure. Strange that "some do, some don't"

Hey BlackNavara, my speedo is now correct after putting on bigger rubber. Im running a set of Good year MTR's 265/75/16's where before the speedo was out about 7km's. I have fitted a 50mm lift using EFS springs and tough dog adjustables and am very happy with this combo. I barley noticed the difference in gearing at road speeds.

Speedo variations

There is nothing unusual with this situation, encountered in many brands, what I can't understand is the speedo indicates one speed and the GPS another, however the Scangage reports the same as the GPS, go figure!

Russell.

My STR is 4km/h (reads slow) out with my 32's at 100km/h. When I had the original tyres on 31's (there abouts) the speedo was dead accurate to my GPS.

I have driven a YD25DDTI CRD powered D22 and D40 and both were 9km/h (reads slow) out at 100km/h.

Dave.

My speedo read 7ks low after my bigger tyres were fitted.

I only recently built a speedo corrector kit from Jaycar elec and installed to rectify the error.

Kit cost about $50 and is adjustable.

mine read accurate with 31s and is now 10-11% under with the 35's

The D40 in Aus is fitted with 255 Continental tires and will read approx 10k under. I fitted 265 BFG and its lots closer.
I have a Scangauge ( set at 6% on the speedo adjust) to make up for the fact the speedo is crap and it almost as good as the fuel gauge as far as accuracy goes.
Nissan does know about it and basically doesnt care.It does fit within Federal Guidelines so they deem not worth doing anything about.

Did a check on the way back from Toowoomba using the 5km speedo check, and was about 150m out over 5km, or about 3km/h slow at 100km/h. Car is stock standard, original tyres, no mods.

My STR is 4km/h (reads slow) out with my 32's at 100km/h. When I had the original tyres on 31's (there abouts) the speedo was dead accurate to my GPS.

I have driven a YD25DDTI CRD powered D22 and D40 and both were 9km/h (reads slow) out at 100km/h.

Dave.

hey dave...my d40 ( the bundy d40 get around maitland ) is 10 km/h out...just thought it got a bud from the local dealer.....lol

Last edited:
My speedo read 7ks low after my bigger tyres were fitted.

I only recently built a speedo corrector kit from Jaycar elec and installed to rectify the error.

Kit cost about $50 and is adjustable.

I got my 265 75 R16's a week ago and can't say I really gave a thought to the speedo being out..... I can imagine that there are legal issues surrounding increasing the size of your tyres. I have no doubt that most of you would have considered this and did the same thing that I did... which was to go "meh" and put them on anyway. I guess my question is, did any of you really worry about the legalities of the speedo being out?
Probably concerned over nothing, but wondered if anyone else has experienced the coppers tapping on the window at the lights and asking for some sort of transport certificate for those tyres or something like that?
Would this speedo kit be enough to stop harassment from the authorities?

The simple truth is that any more than certain small deviations from standard may be illegal without an engineer's certification.

While the majority of the time people will get by just fine, it becomes nasty and bitter when an accident occurs and there's a significant issue - like life, or large $ - presented to the courts. If you're in a vehicle that is not roadworthy and you are the one that put the vehicle into that condition, then you alone are responsible for having the vehicle there and will most likely bear the full blame for whatever happened.

There are some areas of safety that are impacted by wheel changes. The offset (axial centre of the road surface to the point where the bearing sits) must be within certain limits, as changing this may place additional strain on the bearings and additional torsional loading on the axle. The road diameter also has this effect, as the wheel tries to rotate up into the wheel housing, it's actually imparting a bending moment on the axle. The larger the diameter, the larger the force.

As for speedometers, ADR requires that the speedo MUST NOT read lower than the speed the vehicle is actually travelling at and MUST NOT indicate more than 10% over the speed the vehicle is travelling at.

In other words, if you are travelling at exactly 100km/h, your speedo is NOT allowed to read 99km/h and is allowed to read anywhere from 100km/h up to 110km/h. A defect notice can be issued if the speedo reading is outside these limits.

Putting it all together - if the police see massive tyres on a 4WD that are just awkwardly large, they have two possible grounds to take that vehicle off the road. If you're hooning, they'll do exactly that. If you're just driving sedately, there's every chance they'll leave you alone.

Just never, ever forget that lawyers will get involved if there's a court issue raised and if they can pin something on you for non-compliance, they'll run with it.

Putting it all together - if the police see massive tyres on a 4WD that are just awkwardly large, they have two possible grounds to take that vehicle off the road. If you're hooning, they'll do exactly that. If you're just driving sedately, there's every chance they'll leave you alone.

Well said, do right and right will be done to you.

Latest posts

Back