Strange noise and batt and brake lights on.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMentalGrey

Reaction score
Driving the Nav this morning, 5min from home I coasted to a set of lights and heard an odd noise, bit like a belt/bearing loose. By the time I'd turned the radio down the noise had stopped. When I took off from the lights, nice and steady, not racing, I noticed the battery light and the brake light on the dash lit up. They stayed on for a bit then flickered and went out. Noise did not come back that I noticed. Drive home was uneventful.

Any ideas what it could be? Thanks.

do they use a one way clutch on the alternator?
they tend to make a noise when they fail, then jam together and go quiet.
a failed alternator clutch will cause alternator to stop working and battery light to come on.

I have had this 3 times on my d40. for me, it was the clutch pulley on the alternator. it normally spins on when revs drop quickly, or you turn the engine off. the 1 way clutch lets go and doesn't get any drive. typical tell tale is the brake/alt. light!

Time for new belts I guess. My mechanic told me they needed doing at last service. I bought them, but haven't installed yet.

problem is guaranteed to be related to the alternator/clutch pulley. if you google the brake/battery light on combination, there is plenty of info. that's how I diagnosed mine!

Had the same problem on mine - alternator required replacing each time. I'm now on my third, this time I bought a Trump 150A alternator with a 5 year warranty from eBay (seller in Vic, I think).

Latest posts

Back