is the offset my issue?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugget87

Reaction score
I recently bought a d22, I am playing around with the muddies that came with the car. This is my first 4wd so I'm a complete novice.

Basicly the car has 2 inch lift and 32 mud tyres. I was experiencing scrubbing at full lock on the mudflap which I have trimmed up but when my oversize passenger got in it scrubbed again pretty hardcore. So i revisited the mudflaps and have trimmed them more. I believe I have fixed it but concerned when I'm offroad it'll be worse. I was mucking around yesterday and discovered my rears run on the outer mudguard when they're tucking from flex is this normal?

I am pretty confident my rims are 16x8 with a 0 offset. I can't see the offset stamped anywhere. would purchasing some 16x8 with a+20 offset fix all my issues? seen as though they'll be inside the guard by 20mm.

unsure what avenue to go down?

Welcome to the forum!

I'm unsure of the factory offset for your car, but generally if you reduce the offset you'll reduce the clearance around your brakes - not necessarily a good thing. You'll also narrow the stance of your vehicle, making it roll a little more in corners.

You might have tyres that are a little too large on it - you could either reduce the size, or increase the space (widen the area under the guards - even flaring them).

I'm sure someone will come along who's had experience with your car - perhaps giving us a more specific model would help - what year, what engine?

hi sorry, its a 2012 d22 with a yd25 with 2 inch tough dog. I believe I may have a little more in my torsion bars but unsure how much. I also believe everyone recommends 16x8 +20 but unsure if the 20mm matters. Otherwise maybe ditch the muddies and go for a aggressive All terrain?

Last edited:
Depends on the driving you want to do. Muddies are great for what they're designed for but wear very quickly on the road. ATs are pretty good all-rounders but the more aggressive tread patterns perform worse in sand.

I'd wait to see what other D22 owners say about offsets - I haven't played with mine yet, but I've been considering extending the guards (like Arctic Trucks) and changing to a more negative offset rim, something that would give the car a little more stance and stability in corners and on tracks.

Yep sounds like 16x8 with 0 offset. Mine are the samr but mickey thompson classic black alloys. Standard offset is +40 on a 16x7 rim. On full compression mine also hits on the edge or wheel arch, so that 20mm less in the +20 must move the wheel inside enough to avoid this. The only option to fix this is extending your flairs, not cheap or easy to do as you would have to see a fibreglasser about it. Also on the front I completely removed my front mud guards and used a hammer and some small cuts with a grinder the push back some of of the excess metal there

16 x 8 +20 offset is the best compromise, I have 16 x 8 0 offset, they look shit hot but cause problems, I've beaten back the excess metal and trimmed out the clashing mudflap areas (not removed the whole thing) and they still scrub off road, I think if I go 235 85 r16 next instead of the current 265 75 r16 for tyres (same diameter but narrower) they should be better and maybe have 5mm machined off the hub face if possible/safe to make them a +5 offset.

Latest posts

Back