Roof Drain Channels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish i checked this spot before my warranty ran out, only noticed it a couple weeks ago. I reckon nissan should fix it anyway because its a common known problem on d40s. obviously not a recall, but they should fix at their own discretion.

but they should fix at their own discretion.

They already do this, the problem is usually their discretion is not what the customer agrees with.

How far out is your warranty? New warranty rules do actually state that the defined warranty periods of any manufactured goods are not strictly to the terms the manufacturer states.

That being said you can't just go in and claim something when your car is out of warranty but if it is really the known problem you suggest it is and it can be proven, the rulings wont fall in Nissan's favour.

My guess is you'll have trouble proving it as a "known" or "common" problem because like the so called chalky brake pads it effects a minority of vehicles and right wrong or otherwise Nissan aren't ever going to admit fault on a small number of problems and it's left to the consumer to prove the case.

As for how far out of warranty, it ran out on 31st December last year. Is it worth going to see Nissan about it? i dont have any paint flaking off as others have said, just rust spots where you can see its not welded properly...

I would definitely take it back, just because there are some horror stories of Nissan warranty doesn't mean everyone has the same problem. It would pay to be nice about it and if your local dealer has had a few D40's with a similar issue they might be happy to fix it. If that doesn't work your next step is fair trading but I don't think the fight will be easy even though the law may be on your side.

However it is worth remembering that just because legislation changed to protect consumers a bit more in regards to warranty periods it would pay to get proper legal advice before assuming the new legislation covers you.

I think ill drop in then when im driving past. Seems everyone could do with a mate working at Nissan...

The pics of the clear coat peeling off are clear and vgood for the detail.
My issues are the shocking un-eveness of the "filler" that was used in the channels and the cracks in the paint and filler along both sides of the roof... and the fact that someone attempted to cover up the worst part of the passenger side cracks with something akin to liquid paper. :-(

A friend who is manager of a lease company told me he often touches up white cars with liquid paper before they are sent off for sale when the lease expires.

I touched up a 3 inch bare metal scratch on my black Forrestor with permanent marker before I traded it in. Didn't look great from close up but the rest of the car was in brilliant shape so they didn't check that closely by the time they got to the back.

I saw the car about 6 months ago and unless the owners have given it another dose of permanent marker it lasted well for two years. But then maybe the new owners wash it as often as I did.

I didn't read all the posts, so I can't say if anyone else has done the same, but I had this problem, again it's one of those things you don't really look for, but after warranty had run out, I noticed this, it's really shit, however there is a cheap and easy solution that will last instead of repainting.

Sikaflex/ Silicone (neutral cure type)

You can use this and detail the finish really nicely if you have a colour car that you can match to the type of silicone. I did this to mine, looks fine, i'd ideally not like to have done it, but I wasn't going to pay to spray the roof of my car for something so small and the sikaflex will last longer than the paint will anyway.

ps you can also buy a sikaflex primer if you really want to go over the top and it will make the sika adhere even better.

Update on my warranty issue with the Roof channels and sills.
The chosen repairer (by Nissan Warwick), had the ute for 3 days and did nothing but look at it. The quote was prepared by the office lass, not a tradesperson. When a tradesperson and owner examined the problems before starting - he called no joy. As he had previously done two of these type of repairs and both returned for re-doing. To his credit this time around he aborted before starting and is organising for the job to be done in Toowoomba by a painter that has experience in getting these sorted first time around and actually gets all of these type repairs now from TWB dealer.
Disappointed is the word here at the moment. I know that the ute was not looked at on the 5th, it was just parked and left. I saw it on the 6th sitting out the front of the office with the night's condensation all over it... wonderful for a roof filler and paint issue. I only got told when i visited on the Friday(8th) morning to get an update on the result...
Looks like another job to chase up with the dealer on Tuesday morning (Public Hol Monday) to get the work progressed asap to the TWB repairer with the right gear and experience.
OH btw, on a separate issue - the bonnet stay keeper (plastic holder) snapped one side off a couple of weeks ago. (ute complianced in Nov 2011). Peter Stewart Nissan Warwick did the right thing and gave me a replacement holder for nicks :)
AFAIK the holder on the Pajero (1996) is still the original unit... just for differences.

Well to be fair there is a shit load more Navaras on Australian roads that what is represented here so it would be fair to assume the numbers suffering are larger than what is here, however anyone I personally know with D40's (which again the number is small in comparison to those sold) don't have the problem or know of people with the problem.

Maybe those built between the GFC of 2008 and the next slump of 2010 were made better I don't really know but I'm yet to witness this paint issue on any Navara I have seen fitting into that time frame.

I too will put my hand up & say there is an issue with the paint in my gutters.

The paint is very thin along the internal corners of the gutters (running north/south) and there is a visible grey line (white car) which is presumably the undercoat.

Although it does not really worry me, I made the dealer aware of it some time ago in case it begins to rust. I was afraid that the cure may be worse than the problem, which at this stage is not particularly noticable.

Not sure how it would fare if it wasn't always parked in a shed although maybe it would be fine?

Latest posts

Back