What mileage are you getting from your tyres?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...over the last 20 years or so I have had numerous 4WD's and sets of tyres....some good, some not so good.
The last five sets I have bought have all been BFG ATR's. Average mileage is around 75,000 which occurs mainly on bitumen with occasionally serious off road stuff. I like them because they are relatively quiet, grip well and the only puncture was caused by a tek screw on a building site.
The last set, on my D40 STX only lasted 50,000 and I replaced them this week with another set of BFG ATR but in the KO2 brand. These are 265/65 17's and the prices in Adelaide varied from $400 at Beaurepairs to Bob Janes at $314 - which is where I bought them.
I will be interested to see how long these last, as the guy at Janes told me they are getting reports of very good mileage from the KO2's.

Hankook Dynapro AT-M's
132 697 kms. Still good grip even in the wet, about 4mm tread left to the wear indicators.
These tyres just don't wear out.

tonyd22, where are your`s made, the new ones are chinese, i`ve got 10000 on mine, which includes towing a caravan 3000 and alittle off roading and they are perfect, luvin`em (((-;

tonyd22, where are your`s made, the new ones are chinese, i`ve got 10000 on mine, which includes towing a caravan 3000 and alittle off roading and they are perfect, luvin`em (((-;

Just went out and had a look.
They are made in Korea.
Had them on for just over 4 years.

Just clocked up an amazing 150 000 kms on the Dynapros, 3mm tread to the wear indicators but have noticed in the wet they are starting to lose their grip.
Towing a work trailer everyday doesn't help with that much.

the Hankook Dynapro,s are a hard to beat tyre for both the price and the lifespan they can give plus they do have a good grip on both the tar roads and the dirt / sand etc. smaller name bigger tyre.

Just clocked up an amazing 150 000 kms on the Dynapros, 3mm tread to the wear indicators but have noticed in the wet they are starting to lose their grip.
Towing a work trailer everyday doesn't help with that much.

That really is amazing! Well done.

I struggle to get any more than about 40K out of any brand of tyre, but I'm lazy & don't rotate them.

Oddly many mechanics cannot align a car properly and the tyres wear prematurely. Tony has done very well indeed, the actual rubber must be getting very hard by now.

They are getting hard but not what you would expect from that sort of mileage. They were fitted 4.5 years ago, 6/6/2013.
As said above, a good alignment and frequent rotation is the key.
I haven't got it aligned since the tyres were fitted.
Honestly I reckon I can get at least another 20k out of them but I'm not going to risk it.

Here are pics of front and rear tyres.

8e1d8c5c57cef6e40b291efb28d10dff.jpg

28bda78183f9b8fcdf23465d493ed5fa.jpg

Last edited:
I've been unable to find anyone who can successfully align the wheels on this current 2013 D22, or my last 2010 model. The last guy tried very hard, but said something about the castor being problematic.

The problem is with these utes is the castor.
Only way to do it properly is adjust a little at a time not all in one go, if you know what I mean.

Teach me, I'm all ears.

The 2010 I had always pulled VERY hard to the left.

The current 2013 pulls VERY hard to the right.

I have my own theory, but am keen to hear yours.

An aligner at Pedders told me once that the problem most shops have is that they align to the specs in one go according to the info on their screens. They do one side to specs and then the other.
The way he told me is that you gradually work your way up to the specs and tighten each side up as you go.
An allowance is made for the camber on the road and for the weight of the driver sitting in the car.
It does take longer but he reckoned it's the only way to do it properly.

Now I am in the hands of the shops just like everybody else and would never even attempt an alignment.

An aligner at Pedders told me once that the problem most shops have is that they align to the specs in one go according to the info on their screens. They do one side to specs and then the other.
The way he told me is that you gradually work your way up to the specs and tighten each side up as you go.
An allowance is made for the camber on the road and for the weight of the driver sitting in the car.
It does take longer but he reckoned it's the only way to do it properly.

Now I am in the hands of the shops just like everybody else and would never even attempt an alignment.

That makes sense.

One guy tried for about 2 hours to get mine right, I had to call time on it in the end, as he was getting a bit OCD. He would get one side right, then do the other side, check the previous side & it was out again. Finally get them both in spec, test drive, he's still not happy, fiddle, fiddle, drive, fiddle fiddle, drive - you get the idea!

Got some new tyres today as the old ones were starting to let go in the wet and getting a bit noisy.
Can't complain with the old Dynapros clocking up 152 000kms with still 3mm to the wear indicators.
Replaced them with another set of Dynapros but found they have robbed me of 3mm tread.
The old ones had 15mm tread depth but the new ones only 12mm.
Still made in Korea with a date stamp of 10th month 2017 on all 4.
The shop had a deal with buy 4 and pay for 3, so happy days.

Soooo much quieter in the cab now and a totally different driving feel.

Latest posts

Back