Check your ODO

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaraTheNavara

Reaction score
Has anyone done some accurate recordings to check if their ODO is out?

If you're complaining you're only getting 700km to a tank it could actually be closer to 800km...

My ODO was out about 10% on a roadside distance check and I've recorded a Google Maps trip that was out 8.5%. I haven't tried with a handheld GPS unit yet though.

Until you're recording your distance correctly your km's to a tank and "real" fuel economy you're looking at isn't correct.

If people can run some tests and post findings (along with tyre size) then we can see if this is a big part of the fuel problems.

No idea sorry mate i got it used. I also run 33" tires which would be effecting it. Funnily enough tho the speedo is 100% correct

Hi Narathenavara,
I have D23 STX auto and run standard 18" tyres. I have checked the actual speed using a GPS system and found the speedo is +3 kph out at all speeds. Also have now travelled 12,000 kms and always recorded my fuel consumption. My average actual fuel usage ( the cars display is 8 L/100) is 8.7L/100 K's 70 % city driving, 30% rural. Hope this helps.

Hi Rocky thanks for that. My speedo is pretty accurate but I'm more focused on the odo. When you travelling somewhere next could you put the end location into google maps to get the km distance and check your odo at the start and end to see how far it's off? To calculate your economy it needs to be based on an accurate distance travelled. I've found since my odo to s off that the dash economy is actually more accurate than a "calculated" economy when basing it on the dash odo readings.

If the Odo being out is a general problem, that is a big concern, as services are not going to be done when they need to be, leading to problems later, Nissan should fix this under warranty I imagine, has anyone approached them about it?

In my opinion it should be part of the ADR compliance for it to be spot on. How would it stand up with speeding fines if it was out the other way. Manufactures seem to just be able to do what they like yet we have to fight like hell to get modifications passed that normally fix a lot of manufactures faults.

this topic has been brought up many times, mainly to do with the speedo's inaccuracy. From what i believe, manufacturers are legally allowed a 10% fudge, but only with cars going slower than the speedo show, not faster!

In my opinion it should be part of the ADR compliance for it to be spot on. How would it stand up with speeding fines if it was out the other way. Manufactures seem to just be able to do what they like yet we have to fight like hell to get modifications passed that normally fix a lot of manufactures faults.
The thing is, we are talking about the odometer, which measures the distance travelled, not the speed you are travelling. That is the speedometer. The odometer in the d22s is pretty much spot on with factory tyres, the speedo however, reads about 10% higher than the speed you are actually travelling. This also varies by model as some of the older ones read spot on. The problem with fitting bigger tyres is that while they improve the speedo accuracy, you are actually travelling further than the odometer is registering. So you look like you have travelled less km than you actually have. How much this difference is depends on how big a tyre you fit. 265/75s increase this by about 3%.
this topic has been brought up many times, mainly to do with the speedo's inaccuracy. From what i believe, manufacturers are legally allowed a 10% fudge, but only with cars going slower than the speedo show, not faster!
The issue is, the australian design rules still state that the speedo error margin is up to +10% over the speed you are travelling, but cannot read below. It really needs updating, because its been around since the dinosaurs... that's part of the problem with traffic congestion, because some manufacturers calibrate to within 1 or 2% and others use the full 10%, there is a massive speed difference even when people think they are doing the speed limit...

If you look into the ADR rules it was changed around 2006 I think and the Speedo can be out +/- 4% (or 10% can't remember) however they removed the requirement for an ODO so therefore there is no requirement for the ODO to be accurate. Prior to that it had to be within a % range like the speedo.

When you sell a car you are legally obligated to have an accurate ODO reading so based on that Nissan are technically selling you a vehicle that you can't legally sell as you know the ODO is incorrect. In most cases I think the ODO variance is actually in the customers favour (car is doing less kms than it's actually doing) so it's really in Nissans interest to make it as accurate as possible.

The more people that can do some trip checks (with Google Maps or a GPS) and report the issue to Nissan (making sure you state you don't care about the speedo being inaccurate otherwise they will just come back with that) the better and then they might do something about it.

From what I understand putting larger tyres may effect the ODO a little but I think the stock one is a fair way off anyway (need someone with a stock ST to do tests to confirm). I also read elsewhere that a PCM flash to adjust the RPM based on the tyres you put on can fix this issue so that's all Nissan really need to be able to do.

The fact that the Fuel Economy on mine is pretty accurate however the ODO is dramatically out (up to around 12%) doesn't make sense and is why I think there may be an update to CANBUS or similar system that needs to be done from Nissan to get everything playing together nicely.

i've had my np300 for nearly a year now and done 43000kms. the annoying thing is the inaccuracy of the of the odometer to the trip computer. we brought it in twice to 2 different dealers here in central QLD and no-one seemed to want to deal with it. the trip computer shows 0 kms remaining with 25 litres still in the tank, after only doing around 650kms. the speedo reads 4km slower than actual @100km/h. i'm used to it now though and just fuel up around 650-700kms.

something is definately wrong. i'm consistantly getting this and Nissan do not want to know about it. my calculations suggest for 636kms, i should have used 52.8 litres based on the computer's rather optomistic 8.3 l/100km.
but i believe the bowser's fuel usage as 9.7 l/100km
:deadhorse2:

Just did 800kms.
GPS verified odo is out by 3% only (registers less than travelled). Within my expectations.

Speed 105kmh at indicated 110. Again reasonable.

Trip computer still shows almost exactly 1l/100km less than actual bowser consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 31.6' tyres which makes the speedo accurate. But on tests with an scan tool on a run the computer is out by 7 percent on distance travelled. This is why the fuel range is way off. I'm travelling 7km more per hundred than the computer realises.

First tank of fuel, ODO reads 860.2km, GPS reads 896.7km. Big difference. Speedo is 4km under which is no big deal. Dash fuel economy reads 7.3L/100. 70L of fuel so actual economy is 7.9L/100 based on GPS distance. 8.2L/100 based on ODO. It seems ODO is out about 4%. I'd also love to hear if anyone has taken it up with Nissan even though it works in our favour.

Latest posts

Back