Air Compressors

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STC

Reaction score
Would like to know peoples opinion of what would be a good air compressor to buy, dont want to break the bank :stop:

Just an excellent value for money 12v compressor to re-inflate the tyres and wont go "BOOM" after 6 months.

Cheers
STC

Ive got the ARB one.....very suprising at how good they are now, itll pump up all 4 35's from 5psi to 33 in a few minutes each. Use to use a $150 one from super cheap but that wouldnt even do 4 31s in a row with a break.

I've got a Projecta Typhoon, been a good compressor for me, I have heard some people have had problems with them, while others reckon they are great, mine gets used regularly and I haven't managed to kill it yet. Pumped up 8 tyres in a row once and it didn't worry it at all.

Isn't 4wd Action going to do a big compressor comparison next month??
I have a TJM OX, couldn't tell you how it goes because I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It was a freeby with my bullbar. Have heard these weren't too bad Compressors 12V

I cant remember the brand of mine, hardly ever use it . Usually use the air hose at the servo after a day at Stockton.

Dave.

Isn't 4wd Action going to do a big compressor comparison next month??
I have a TJM OX, couldn't tell you how it goes because I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It was a freeby with my bullbar. Have heard these weren't too bad Compressors 12V

Yeah I think so but if it will be anything like some of their recent comparisons then I wouldn't be too hopeful. Listing a heap of products doesn't count as a comparison in my books.

Yeah I think so but if it will be anything like some of their recent comparisons then I wouldn't be too hopeful. Listing a heap of products doesn't count as a comparison in my books.

Too right, their latest headlight comparo was a crock of shit, just a big list of lights and no real usable info about them. I for one don't think I'll be renewing my sub when it runs out, tired of reading the same thing over and over with little substance.

Too right, their latest headlight comparo was a crock of shit, just a big list of lights and no real usable info about them. I for one don't think I'll be renewing my sub when it runs out, tired of reading the same thing over and over with little substance.

Yeah I got 2 issues left I think and I won't be renewing either, It doesn't seem worth it anyway when you can go to the newsagent and buy a 2 or even 3 pack for 10 bucks anyway. Sorry getting a bit offtopic here!

I use a cheap bushranger chinese copy from some camping store in Brisbane, supposedly they are made from really crap materials but I've personally had no problems with it at all.

If you want a good comparison of driving lights get a copy of Caravan + RV summer 09 edition if they are still around. They give a description of the construction, measured charts of the beam spread and a photo of the beam on a wall. Best comparison of lights I have seen.

PeterD

Pumped up 8 35's today from less then 10psi to 32psi without a break with my arb compressor before it had had enough. Very impressed.

Thanks all,

I went with an ARB compressor, so far it is half installed behind the rear seat, just got to figure how to link the electrics to the ignition and dash illumination as I am no auto electrician.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
STC

Thanks all,

I went with an ARB compressor, so far it is half installed behind the rear seat, just got to figure how to link the electrics to the ignition and dash illumination as I am no auto electrician.
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
STC

Don't bother with wiring it to ignition, you will need at least 4GA cable run direct from the battery with something like a 60A fuse or circuit breaker as close as humanly possible to the battery, then run that through to the back of the cab, either under the floor or through the cab. You'll need this to counter the voltage drop.

This would then connect to a solenoid or relay, then on to the compressor. The control wiring part on the solenoid will go from the 12v line, through your switch on the dash, back to one terminal on the solenoid, the other terminal will go to ground.

The explanation above is a bit round about, without knowing parts you already have for install I can't give better detail.

Dragging up past history again here.
Any updates to what people have?
Has anyone had to chuck one in the bin?
China are certainly getting their stuff together in terms of manufacturing and quality thanks to larger corporations backing them and I am less sceptical about buying things marked as "Made in China" than I have been in the past.
I saw Navarian's Terrain Tamer double pumper in action last weekend and was impressed enough that I've got one in the mail.
TERRAIN TAMER TWIN PUMP 12v 150PSI AIR COMPRESSOR 4WD - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Feb-10 12:13:25 AEDST)

STC,

I know you have already mounted your compressor but just for info and others who want to fit the ARB air compressor. My mate and i have mounted the ARB diff locker air compressor in the STX D40 V6 engine bay. It is mounted just before the air box and bolted to the radiator frame. The kit comes with a T-piece so you use one connection for air hose and the other connection goes to diff locker. The air hose which comes in the kit can reach to all wheels with ease. It has been in this position for 1 year now with no issues what so ever. My mate has also installed the same ARB air compressor in his STX D40 2.5 diesel engine bay at same location. He did the wiring for both installations.

Having this compressor here save the space in the cab.

I saw Navarian's Terrain Tamer double pumper in action last weekend and was impressed enough that I've got one in the mail.
TERRAIN TAMER TWIN PUMP 12v 150PSI AIR COMPRESSOR 4WD - eBay 4x4 Accessories, Exterior, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Feb-10 12:13:25 AEDST)
if thats the one i think it is, its not very good.
there is really only a few different compressors, they are just rebadged and with slightly different looks/config with anyones guess if quality.

.....My mate and i have mounted the ARB diff locker air compressor in the STX D40 V6 engine bay. It is mounted just before the air box and bolted to the radiator frame. .....................
Having this compressor here save the space in the cab.

just be careful having them in the engine bay, it can get to hot for them.
tho one thing to watch if you have them in the cab is if you go into water and the cab leaks ;)

Cant Beat the Big Red 3cfm running 2 air tanks.
Just to give you an idea there is a pressure switch that cuts in at 70 psi & cuts out at 100 psi. The tanks hold 48 litres all up.
I can pull up somewhere with 100 psi in the tanks and pump a tyre up from 18 psi up to 38 psi and the compressor juts cuts in when the tyre is at about 36 psi.
I bought the compressor second hand of ebay & got the air tanks from a power tool place,
They were 2 of those cheapy jobs that had blown up but the tanks were still good, got them for nothing.

10navcompressor.jpg

7navairtank.jpg

Back