Cheap Tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was being facetious. Its a communist country with no free media or elections, yet is capitalist at the same time! Its a tricky one.. Doesnt help when we buy all their crappy (but sometimes lately quite good) products while they buy up all our real estate and industry. We might as well get rid of the union jack on our flag and put a big red star their instead, as they pretty much own us.

Dunno how much i agree with the idea of helping to improve their living conditions.. Maybe we're helping the Party rulers buy their next maserati

My friend who has an economics degree says this is the way it has to be for china to modernise, but jesus the environment and animal population over there is taking a hell of a whack from it

He also mentioned during study they discussed that polluting of the oceans and destruction of forests won't stop until theres a dollar value put on every tree and every ocean

Scary stuff

Dunno how much i agree with the idea of helping to improve their living conditions.. Maybe we're helping the Party rulers buy their next maserati

My friend who has an economics degree says this is the way it has to be for china to modernise, but jesus the environment and animal population over there is taking a hell of a whack from it

He also mentioned during study they discussed that polluting of the oceans and destruction of forests won't stop until theres a dollar value put on every tree and every ocean

Scary stuff

Yeah a bit scary Czechmate, but fascinating.

There is already a huge boom in the "middle classes" in China. Things are improving rapidly. What do you think the top politicians and execs drive around in, in democracies? Have you not noticed the 15 mil payouts for being utter failures in their positions for a few yrs, while ordinary people are being cleaned out when the "global economy" hits a snag?

Political systems seem largely irrelevant. The global economy doesn't care. Whether we vote for them or otherwise, we don't elect people to represent our interests and likely never have. We elect who is going to have authority over us. We are then treated more like cattle.

As to conditions in developing nations. There are a few good peer reviewed sociology papers around that (indirectly) deal with this. The economic, capitalist, democratic and military marvel that is the US, the wealthiest nation on earth, is quite a failure socio-economically. To look at the stats re what makes a functioning healthy society, without looking at who they belong to, you could be forgiven for thinking they were from some 3rd world backwater dictatorship somewhere. Sadly our leaders seem set on emulating this.

Something that has never seemed right regarding our economic system is that half of our planet lives in poverty. Yet it's considered a great success?

Your friend is right, there seems no way to slow or stop capitalism without civilisation as we now know it, also stopping. It isn't only China's critters taking a beating. It is happening right here in Aus. Have you noticed our elapids less frequently in urban areas? If you look for them in remote regions where they used to proliferate, it's similar. As difficult to find as the frogs they prey on. Our marsupial carnivores are even harder to find and are likely all heading to extinction very soon. We have an atrocious history regarding species extinctions.

The oceans are likely to be depleted of fish stocks from overfishing, acidification and warming by mid century. There simply will be no commercial fishing anymore. Our reefs and phytoplankton are slowly disappearing.

This all sounds chicken little/fringe doom and gloom, but it is mainstream science. Unfortunately science is ultra conservative and isn't giving the full picture, rather the best possible scenario and assumes we can reduce what we are doing. Not likely, our economic systems require constant growth, or they collapse. More people, industry, farms and so on.

There is no feasible technology we could implement to reverse this either. If our planet already ran on green energy it would be a struggle simply to keep up with growth itself.

The great permian extinction was thought by many scientists to have been preceded by large scale volcanic activity affecting our atmosphere (global warming) and release of the oceans methane, acid rain etc. It took 40-80 thousand years for around 96 % of species vanish and be left very little apart from microbes. We have the potential to achieve this in a few centuries. A rise of anything above 6 deg could potentially result such a runaway effect apparently. 4 deg itself is unlikely to cause such a thing, but would be catastrophic and is not an unrealistic figure. The IPCC idea of no more that 2 deg by the end of the century seems pie in the sky.

Some very respectable and quite conservative scientists are beginning to wonder if humans will exist beyond this century. Many of them at least agree that civilisation as we know it probably won't. We simply have no will or way to turn things around.

Sorry for the length and bit of a rant. Like Hamlet, humanity is looking at "to be, or not to be". It's a fascinating subject.

Last edited:
I was being facetious. Its a communist country with no free media or elections, yet is capitalist at the same time! Its a tricky one.. Doesnt help when we buy all their crappy (but sometimes lately quite good) products while they buy up all our real estate and industry. We might as well get rid of the union jack on our flag and put a big red star their instead, as they pretty much own us.

Fair enough rabbid. But do you really believe it is that much different in the west? Propaganda seems rife particularly if it involves military action, and it cost 1.2 billion dollars to get Donald into office. There is quite a history of claims of electoral fraud to boot. The west isn't immune.

I agree that the west is dodgy too, Hilliary's campaign was even more nefarious and well funded than The Orange One. But China seriously is not a free country. The Media is government controlled.
Wasn't that long ago they went through the Cultural Revolution in the 60's. Brutal propaganda fuelled mayhem where they basically killed all the intellectuals, scholars and anyone else accused of "imperilalist Ideas" or "counter revolutionary thought" , which basically meant EVERYONE who wasn't regurgitating Mao's doctrine enthusiastically enough. Massive setback. Extreme communism. Amazing they have come so far so fast after Mao karked it in the mid 70's..

Tiananmen square anyone?

Seems like we're not allowed to mention it anymore for fear of being labelled anti chinese

Corruption is one thing but government enacted slaughter is another thing entirely

Funny thing is the chinese government is still unchanged and they got away with murdering thousands of their own citizens for disagreeing with their views

You wont find another example like that in the western world

Tiananmen square anyone?

Seems like we're not allowed to mention it anymore for fear of being labelled anti chinese

Corruption is one thing but government enacted slaughter is another thing entirely

Funny thing is the chinese government is still unchanged and they got away with murdering thousands of their own citizens for disagreeing with their views

You wont find another example like that in the western world

You would have a great point there if there was no such thing as modern history lol.

Back in the day "Japcrap" as it was referred to (and yes, it was crap) had a certain bias against it, largely because of things like Nanking… Pearl Harbour… Sandakan…Changi…. There was also the fact that they let around 330,000 of their civilian population perish directly, with countless more doomed to perish slowly, maimed or dispossessed, as their leaders sat back and watched 65 or so of their largest cities be relentlessly firebombed into oblivion. All this not as part of any war strategy which they knew they had already lost, but in the hopes of protecting one god-man, the Emperor.

They were prepared to lose every citizen to do this, it seems the only thing they weren’t prepared to do was leave his fate to the Russians, a likelihood that eventually forced them to take their chances with the Yanks. Tienanman Square though…

Apart from the US being the only nation to vaporise civilian populations unnecessarily with nukes (it had no military advantage and seems to have been for experimental and political purposes) under the guise of “war”, there is a whole history of native Americans, black oppression and slavery, and a litany of more modern civil rights debacles you seem to be overlooking.

Including inhumane medical experimentation on their own (and other) populations in modern times. The estimated 20 million working class civilians to have also perished around the world with countless dispossessed in the last 75 years directly as a result of US “liberation”.

There is also our own history with the original inhabitants of our continent since “terra nullius” which makes Tienanman Square look like a trifle.

No doubt China needs lots of improving in certain ways, but overlooking the wests problems gives a very biased view.

It will be interesting to see how China evolves. They have had only a short time to go from an authoritarian dictatorship where ideology was strictly implemented as a form of brainwashing cult... to modernity. The west has had centuries to get democracy right.

Also ironic that we owe our modern standard of living largely to the Chinese. Without them our economy would collapse and the only way people can avoid Chinese goods is if they go off the grid and take up residence in a cave.

World politics is an interesting topic, but it might be best to simply agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:
At great peril to the world as we know it, I got some cheapy tyres to try. After having used "brand tyres" for many a year such as Goodrich, Pirelli, Bridgestone, Toyo and so on. Will write up a review soon. So far they seem excellent.

Mate justify buying cheap chinese gear anyway you like

Obviously I don't need to justify buying anything. I was seeking advice on tyres from people who might have formed an opinion from using them. More so than based on politics and right wing ideology. I disagree somewhat with this opinion, particularly in the context of choosing tyres, is all. I'm more interested in whether they are any good. Japanese products were held back in a similar way at one stage, even after they became good quality.

Last edited:
I put a 2nd set of the Sailun's on my Ute when the time came, as I was very happy with the 1st set.

I got them at the same outlet as the 1st set & at the same price :) ($160 each, fitted)

He also had other Chinese tyres with the same A/T pattern, but a different brand on them that were about $20 cheaper each.

They look alright Kevin. Had a look at their website, they have an LT tyre designed for ice and snow that could make a reasonable AT tyre also. They must be alright as you're obviously happy with them, from what I have seen Chinese tyres have come a long way. Probably some rubbish still out there (but that's probably true of most brands) soon enough they will be genuine competitors with "brand" tyres.

I read that longtime Italian/American tyre brand Pirelli has recently been brought out by ChemChina. So like almost everything else, in the future it'll probably get more and more difficult to avoid Chinese tyres if you wanted to.

Hi Horatius, yes, I'm very happy with them :beer:

I know a retired guy that used to test Bridgestone 4x4 tyres for a quid, he was paid to literally try to destroy the tyres. He has been used as an expert witness re tires in court too. So he sort of knows tyres lol.

When I first told him that I'd bought Chinese tyres, he looked anything but impressed. But then we went & looked at them & he was impressed. He said something about how they have changed the way they make them, compared to how they used to make them. It was tech talk & above my head.

Anyone used or have any good/bad reports on these? Reviews seem alright.

DOUBLE STAR WILD TIGER MUD T 01 265/75R16 119/116N Tyroola.com.au

Going to need 4 tyres soon. Also will need a couple of spares (going up a size, so spare will need replacing). That's 6 tyres. Not keen on shelling out for brand name aggressive tread at or mt's. Would cost an arm, a leg, and possibly some vital organs lol. Might give these a go.

Lemme check them, don't know about them I also need some for my lambo

Latest posts

Back