SMF or DMF with Heavy Duty Clutch?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad74

Reaction score
So my clutch is on it's way out. It's gone for just shy of 150,000km which from what I've been reading is a pretty good effort from the dual mass flywheel setup.

I've spent the last day scanning these forums front to back and still can't decide if I want to replace what's there with an SMF, or put in another DMF setup and hope it goes for another 150 thousand.

My main concern is the driveability with an SMF, there seems to be a very mixed bag of responses from people on the forums of having very harsh gearbox rattles and noise after installing a SMF. I like my D40 because it's comfortable and quiet (even off road) so I don't want to compromise that.

The other thing is brand. From what I can tell, Exedy are essentially the OEM replacement. Then there's 4terrain, Xtreme and NPC which all seem to be good alternatives. And yd25.com.au are good bang for buck.

So, the things I'm looking for comment on are:
- if you've had to replace your clutch and flywheel, did you do SMF or DMF? What was your experience?
- what brand did you go and what's your opinion of it?
- have you found the SMF bad to drive with?
- is there the option out there to replace the DMF but still use a heavy duty clutch?

Greatly appreciate all responses.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Brad, i havn,t had to replace my clutch yet but i have heard from other past members that the single mass swap over is ok and much more reliable than the dual mass unit. when it comes time for mine to be done i will go for the single mass. just think of all the early model cars that you may have owned , i bet they all had the normal single mass flywheel and was there any issues ? no.

I thought you had a d22 jonney? They have a single mass flywheel from the factory, it was only the d40s and r51s (did they make them in manual?) that got the dual mass setup.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Yes, R51s were available as a manual.

Timely thread, my clutch is slipping a bit too. Hoping I can nurse it until school Hols then get it sorted while I don’t need to drive to work.

I think I’ll stick with the DMF as I’ve heard it keeps the vibrations down. I’m not too worried about longevity as I don’t tow much or do lots of kms.

Is the exedy clutch the best option?

I'd price up exedy and the yd25 one as well. Have heard pretty good reports of them.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

I have a R51 and my clutch went at 150ki opted for an Exeedy SMF and am very happy with it. No vibrations or other issues. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ended up getting a SMF and clutch installed last week. It was a little cheaper than a replacement DMF, but decided if I am going to use the Ute off road and occasional towing it was a better option.

Seems to have a little extra vibration and noise in the cab at low revs, but it’s not too bad. I can probably only notice it because I am listening for it. Overall it’s not bad, after all it’s in a Ute, not a limo.

What brand clutch and fly wheel did you go for and what was it like for cost.
Also was that a heavy duty clutch?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back