Fuel Tank - 80 litres???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So from what you guys are saying , fill it up to full and and how many km's later does the light come on, 7/850km's?
And then it only takes 62L to fill.

I guess I'll find out on Sunday how many k's before the light takes to come on when I'm driving back from the G/Coast , I will be taking a Jerry with me and it dont worry me if she runs out during the 1000k return trip

Also does it warn you whilst on empty with warning light and sound?

Marty

These Nissan agents are lazy dumb uninformed people. Better ti sort out your own things rather than waiting for them. Better to take float level out myself and bend the arm with 7 litres left in tank

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Seems Nissan has lost all respect for customer feedback and pre delivery checks. It is too much to ask the customer to gamble on fuel consumption figures, I would swap to an aftermarket version but it would void warranty. Redesigning the sender and a recall for parts swap would show good customer support and product improvement not to mention repeat customers.

Has anyone taken the fuel sender unit out to see if the sender part could be lowered in some way ?

Pisses me off when the 4 flat bars start to blink and you drive a further 200 k's
I've started to reset the trip when the bars blink and drive safely 100k's more with no worries at all

Marty

How do recalls get initiated?
I had a D40 for many years and had many recalls, from wheels to towbar.
Nissan "Customer Service" is just a fob off. Problems need to be sent in writing, not only to the dealer and Nissan Australia but also the relevant consumer authorities. Then something may be done, perhaps.
I notice a few recalls on the NP300 already, the last one being on the Tradesman canopy.

I think my fuel gauge and distance to empty are pretty accurate; full tank shows range 850kms. I get about 9.4/100 measured at the bowser so based on 80l tank it is about right.

Only problem I see is the computer says about 8.4/100 instead of 9.4. All else seems about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes same here showing 13 klms to M/T and took 60.2 litres. So I rang Nissan Australia on
1800 035 035 and spoke to a person called Shaun/Sean/Shawn whatever way he spelt it and I asked him about the the fuel tank only taking 60ltrs when showing empty and his reply was yes I understand how you feel but that is the way it is designed to which I replied it is only a 60 ltr tank which he Vehemently denied stating it is a 80 ltr tank with a 20 litre sump but in all legalities Nissan are correct it is a 80 litre tank and for me to live with it.
So is there a way that I can adjust it so that I can access that last twenty litres.
THANK YPOU
ROBUST CHARSCTER

Last edited:
Mine showing dead empty this week I filled with 13l left. Which is ok in itself, similar to other cars I've had. Problem is was showing dead empty with maybe 220kms to go. I know my range from data I've got from full fills is about 800kms around town. Still scary running it down though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a theory as to why it may keep 20l or so in reserve:
We all know injector pumps in these common rail fuel systems work at really high pressures and small tolerances etc, etc...
These pumps are cooled by the diesel flowing through them, and the excess diesel being returned to the tank.
When the diesel in the tank gets low, it gets hotter as there is less fuel to dissipate the heat, and it is getting circulated more regularly.
Heat and lack of lubrication (caused by running the pump dry from fuel starvation) can quickly kill these very expensive parts.
So I believe that it IS a safety margin built in to the system.
I could be wrong, but I'm not getting into the habit of setting my trip meter and squeezing every last drop out of my tank, just filling up when the light comes on.

It is nice to know there is a bit more there for an emergency situation though.

Done a 100,000km mine now.
With the long range tank my empty is very accurate.
Run it all the time to the last 5-10lt still going strong.
And the pump would spend more time out of the fuel then a standard tank with the bigger area surface the fuel is spread over.

Yes same here showing 13 klms to M/T and took 60.2 litres. So I rang Nissan Australia on
1800 035 035 and spoke to a person called Shaun/Sean/Shawn whatever way he spelt it and I asked him about the the fuel tank only taking 60ltrs when showing empty and his reply was yes I understand how you feel but that is the way it is designed to which I replied it is only a 60 ltr tank which he Vehemently denied stating it is a 80 ltr tank with a 20 litre sump but in all legalities Nissan are correct it is a 80 litre tank and for me to live with it.
So is there a way that I can adjust it so that I can access that last twenty litres.
THANK YPOU
ROBUST CHARSCTER

Just keep driving it and keep an eye on your fuel gauge and ask yourself "what did I do before all this technology existed"
Simple answer, you learnt how far you could go.
Before you slag me, I understand what you are saying, but it is what it is.

So i traded in my D40 for the D23 in july last year. Been driving around without even considering how many km's i'm getting per tank.

Started tracking the numbers two weeks ago - and same problem as indicated here. Warning kicks in at DTE 150km, at 100km DTE it stops tracking - and once I fill up, I can only put 60L in the car.

Mines a November 2016 Built, 2017 plated. So they clearly haven't addressed the issue.

I have a theory as to why it may keep 20l or so in reserve:
We all know injector pumps in these common rail fuel systems work at really high pressures and small tolerances etc, etc...
These pumps are cooled by the diesel flowing through them, and the excess diesel being returned to the tank.
When the diesel in the tank gets low, it gets hotter as there is less fuel to dissipate the heat, and it is getting circulated more regularly.
Heat and lack of lubrication (caused by running the pump dry from fuel starvation) can quickly kill these very expensive parts.
So I believe that it IS a safety margin built in to the system.
I could be wrong, but I'm not getting into the habit of setting my trip meter and squeezing every last drop out of my tank, just filling up when the light comes on.

It is nice to know there is a bit more there for an emergency situation though.

You are correct. It is so the fuel has enough in reserve to cool down otherwise it eventually stuffs the injectors if you constantly run it right down. I usually fill up when it reads around a quarter, although I have had to run it down on a rare occasion when I have had to go further than I wanted to the next servo out west.

I recently purchased a NP300 dual Cab and drove it to Sydney , Every thing was going great and at Hexam the fuel gauge showed I had over a third of a tank
I get down to the Big Dipper and there is a traffic jam caused by a Caravan being blown into the adjoining lane and causing a multicar smash,
I sat there for over an hour with the AC on and engine running as it was 35 degree day ,
By the time the Bridge was cleared my Gauge showed empty and I still had over 100 km to Pennant hills rd
So I had to nurse it all the way with no service stations in between ,by the time I got onto Pennant hills Rd it showing no fuel , I pulled into the first Garage and filled up
64 litres that's all it took and that was right to the brim ,so after all the worry about running out of fuel it was a relief to know I still know I had enough for 200km ?

Latest posts

Back