Catch Can Position / Location

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthanav

Reaction score
Hi all,
does it matter if the height of the catch can inlet from PCV valve is higher than the PCV valve at the engine? If oil reidue in the pipe from the PCV valve can drain back to the PCV valve when engine not running does this raise a risk of blocking the PCV valve, resulting in pressured crankcase then blown rear main seals etc etc? Like to get some thoughts before I pipe my catch can up.

It shouldn't matter a whole lot. The oil that enters the PCV is the same as the oil in the sump anyway. Some people re-organise their catch cans so they can open a valve and feed the contents to the sump. You could also do it with a solenoid valve (like a ball valve to be certain) that is closed when ignition power is on, and opens when the engine stops, allowing the catch can to drain back to the sump.

Thanks Old Tony. Thats a good idea to drain to the sump, but relying on a solenoid for the operation goes a bit to far for my cofidence with electrics. Rather manually drain the CC and then empty to the oil filler. Apart from the PCV valve is there another vent point on the engine to take off from to the inlet of the CC? Only thinking about the ease of access. Thanks again.

Some of them use a check valve (one way valve) in the drain line. When the motor is running, the check valve prevents crankcase gasses from flowing in through the bottom of the can, when the motor is shut down, the weight of the oil opens the valve and it then drains to the sump.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Back