EGR Mod on my V9X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest would be an ECU tune done by a decent tuner, the likelihood nissan overwriting is minimal but a good tuner would just reflash it free, if I had a 550 to play with it would be no issue to make an emulator using tps and rpm

Thanks Old Tony and Malicious for you prompt responses and Malicious if we weren't so far away I'd take you up on your offer but looks like an ECU tune maybe be the easiest way and also the right way long term.
Can you guys recommend anyone you would trust to carry out an ECU tune in Melbourne area?

Thanks in Advance
Stewie

good idea ive heard that a reflash can delete the egr and dpf fault lights if both removed . i think i read about it thru ausamarok crispmods do heaps of reflashes on just about every thing

Yep certainly can turn EGR off with a ECU tune. No Active DPF on the V6 like the earlier 126kw YD25.

As i understand it they do have this large "passive" combo cat/dpf device. Works kinda like a normal dpf but the ecu does not control or monitor it.

It doesn't fill up and burn off like the YD25 one.

Honestly haven't bothered to research it in depth but understanding the other DPF's id say it works like this.

In the front half of the device is a CAT. The CAT heats the air up extremely hot to burn the soot that's caught in the rear dpf section. Just works by burning the dpf soot constantly rather than dpf fill up, burn and repeat ect.

My theory anyways.

Cheers!

I blocked my egr off full on my 550 and engine light came on so a mate cleared the code with his obd2 reader. I didn't want to take plate out so bought my own obd2 code reader off eBay for $50 and now when the light comes on I just check it and clear the code and all good till next time it takes a reading. I think it reduced the dead spot off takeoff slightly but also feel better knowing my engine isn't running on exhaust gas anymore. Have had a remap done and the light still comes on so anyone doing a remap to stop it just ask the technician first. Also installed a DPF delete pipe and no real performance gains

I blocked my egr off full on my 550 and engine light came on so a mate cleared the code with his obd2 reader. I didn't want to take plate out so bought my own obd2 code reader off eBay for $50 and now when the light comes on I just check it and clear the code and all good till next time it takes a reading. I think it reduced the dead spot off takeoff slightly but also feel better knowing my engine isn't running on exhaust gas anymore. Have had a remap done and the light still comes on so anyone doing a remap to stop it just ask the technician first. Also installed a DPF delete pipe and no real performance gains

Technically your engine is still getting exhaust fumes in the intake - from the PCV. Even with a catch can fitted, the remaining gas is entirely exhaust gas.

I didn't think the 550s had a DPF - they have a CAT, but the DPF ended in mid 2010 with the 140kW plant and the 550 came out in mid 2011. The manual only defines an exhaust system "without DPF". Did you mean a high flow CAT?

I removed what was meant to be a DPF which is the one under the driver seat. So basically it is just a 2nd cat because they never put the extra injector or sensor in to operate it but hav the bungs where they were meant to go. They also hav the cat up in the dump pipe. I got it threw chip tuning and is listed as a DPF delete pipe. No one seems to really no what it is or is proper purpose

Last edited:
I have a 550, The EGR has failed and the car is out of warranty. Can anyone recommend the best place to have the EGR replaced and whats my best options to stop this happening again? The car has 44000klm on it

TIA

Hi Gazzz,
Best option is to blank off EGR Valve and have ECU programmed to remove from system, give Christian Patrold +61 417 550 418 Call and can do this. I had my EGR valve blocked off since new with a 6 mm hole in plate but at just 10,000kms it started throwing fault codes so had Christian program out and now totally removed from operating. Since then I now have 3" Redback Exhaust and cranked up the tune. Stuart

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blank...uired-switch-off-EGR-Electronic-/162562040332

Would be interesting to see if this works. (Resistor that prevents the ecu from activating the egr)

It doesn't appear to affect the MAFS, which the ECU uses to calculate air molecule density in the intake for fuel injection amount calculations (air at a certain temp contains a certain number of oxygen molecules, the MAFS measures both temp and air speed).

As long as the ECU doesn't also use that sensor for these calcs - and only uses it to determine whether or not to open the EGR - it's clever.

It's also pricey. The resistor is worth like $0.10 at Jaycar, but unless you know the value you need, and which wire to cut ... that's the bit you're actually paying for. The resistor itself is worth very little (I checked, metal film resistors pack of 8 $0.55 for the pack).

They do apparently work. Not sure about the navaras, but I have seen them on other vehicles. I guess for ease of removal for dealer servicing, if you are worried about warranty issues, they are the easiest option. Also for people with very little mechanical knowledge unplugging and plugging in electrical connections is easy.

Personally, on my d22, I blocked both ends of the egr cooler. That way, if for some reason the coolant side of the egr cooler fails, the intake or turbo won't get a gut full of coolant. I guess if the egr valve is held shut by that resistor cable, the intake side may not be a problem, but the cooling system runs at a higher pressure than the turbo and intake system (except maybe under full load).

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

On the YD25 engine, if the EGR tube is blocked (or this resistor is added and it works as advertised) then you can take both of the hoses off the EGR cooler, then detach one hose from its other end and put the other hose onto where the first hose came from. Not as familiar with the V9X engine bay so can't say how I'd do that.

Happy for Nissan to give me a 550 (in white, please) so I can play with it. I'll hand it back in 2057.

^^ That's not a bad idea, but makes it very obvious that you have blocked the EGR haha. Especially if taking it to the dealer for service or warranty...

Then again you could stick VW badges on it and you'd fit right in...

^^ Haha! Well, my Navara no longer sees the dealer. Too far to go, plus it's 9 years old and 304,000km on the clock it's not like there's any warranty left!

If I was going to the trouble of removing the resistor prior to a service, I could probably put the hoses back the way they intended as well, I guess. It's certainly been easier with the blanking plate - nobody's picked it yet!

Hi all, can anyone tell me if installing an EGR blanking plate will solve a faulty EGR valve? Nissan want $1800 to replace the valve. A mechanic told me the cause of my v9x running rough was the EGR valve being stuck.

for above $552.00 EGR Valve
Pierburg Brand
Part# EGR-048
1633636862652.png

There is more than 1 type for this model, please make sure you compare image or part number to your original before purchasing

Latest posts

Back