EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo77

Reaction score
Read through a few of the posts on here about the egr mod, has anyone tried it on a d40 yet? I am keen on doing it on my nav seems no real problems in doing so?

there a bit on the navara uk site. they don't seam to flag any error codes and seam to get away without adjusting the turbo.

potential problems is overboosting causing big boost but also large backpressure.
or that the ecu will work out the egr is blocked and put up an error code. if you do get an error code what you can do is put a small hole in the blanking plate. that allows a small amount of egr through which keeps the ecu happy.

You wont get any error codes or have any drama's with the d40. They are too dumb.

I have had mine blocked for ages and no probs. Boost is fine. And I have checked for codes and nothing shows. You may notice a slight increase in 'knock' but I doubt it.

Keeps all the black sticky stuff out of ya motor so makes sense to me.

You wont get any error codes or have any drama's with the d40. They are too dumb.

I have had mine blocked for ages and no probs. Boost is fine. And I have checked for codes and nothing shows. You may notice a slight increase in 'knock' but I doubt it.

Keeps all the black sticky stuff out of ya motor so makes sense to me.

did you just use blanking plates on the egr pipe?
also did you gain any better fuel economy or power?

cheers

I just put a stainless 1.6 or 2mm plate in after the cooler as it was easiest to get to just before it enters the motor.
I cut it to shape from the gasket.

It is probably better to block it before the cooler but I did it as a temporary mesure that ended up staying that way.

After warranty runs out I may remove the cooler all together and install a heat exchanger shower in its place!

As I said I did it very early in the life of my d40 so I don't really have anything to compare it to but for your information I always get a measured 9-10L per 100km per tank this is with 265/75/16 tyres and urban driving. This can drop lower when doing highway only so I am very happy with that.

I was just happy to keep the shit out of my motor as I have seen the long term effects too often with cars that come into work.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about this mod, since I don't eat my own exhaust I don't see why my car needs to either.

A photo of where you stuck yours would be mighty handy, if that's easy. I can pop the thing out and make the plate up myself, just need to know where.

Did you make any other changes?

I will endevour to get a pic today for ya but it is dead easy.

As I said I did it on the easy side (drivers side) just before it goes into the motor after the cooler.
There is two bolts to remove the flange and gasket will fall out. Just copy shape of this with a piece of stainless. Mild steel would probably work too.

No other mods done in regard to egr.

Hey guys i can't seem to find where to block the EGR so is someone could post some pics up or even some instructions where it is? I think i have found it is it on the drivers side close to the front of the motor and has a steal pipe that runs around the front of the motor on to the manifold? don't really want to go pulling the wrong things apart and get the wrong thing, thanks for any help.

Just tried to unbolt the bolts holding the gasket in but they are too tight i could not get them, any ideas?

IMG00047-20100518-1038.jpg

IMG00049-20100518-1103.jpg

EGR blocking off on exhaust side of 2.5L d40

No codes, works great, stacks more power, spools faster, Fuel acconomy has improved 100km per tank.

Thanks mate your a champ, you or anybody wouldn't happen to know the dimensions of the plate and holes would you? I work fly in fly out so would be handy to be able to make one in the work shop while i'm at work! :big_smile: thanks mate.

I also work fly in fly out... And as bored shitless as I am at work right now, Im saving this little project for when I get home!!! LOL

I've been over the Manuel and can't see why the EGR valve can't just be unplugged. According to the Manuel, the normal state (when power is off) is for the valve to be closed.

Several photos attached:

EGR Valve Location (Cover Removed). I took the cover off the top so the location of this guy could be seen more easily.

EGR Valve Unplugged - Closeup. Nothing here by Eric Clapton, but the plug from the ECM (that's what the Manuel calls it) can clearly be seen to be not connected any more.

EGR Valve Location Showing Electrical Connection (Cover Intact). Taken while standing against the right hand front guard, you can see the yellow handle of the oil dipstick in the foreground and just above it, the unplugged EGR.

I'm going to drive home with it disconnected and will let ya'll know how many times the car farts on the way. I've already started the car and idled it, but haven't gotten it back up to normal operating temps yet.

Attachments

• EGR Valve Location (Cover Removed).jpg
    EGR Valve Location (Cover Removed).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 9,470
  • EGR Valve Unplugged - Closeup.jpg
    EGR Valve Unplugged - Closeup.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,923
  • EGR Valve Location Showing Electrical Connection (Cover Intact).jpg
    EGR Valve Location Showing Electrical Connection (Cover Intact).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,781
Last edited:
you can't unplug it because ecu monitors the connection and also receives feedback from the valve. unplugging will just bring up error code and possibly limp mode.

Would be good to see how you go with this. I'm looking to do the mod to my '10 D22, still unsure whether or not there's a butterfly to worry about, so if you go ok with just unplugging it from the ECM I'll just do that.

Latest posts

Back