D21 Power Steering compatibility with Terrano parts?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estate_

Reaction score
Hi there

New to the forum and have recently bought myself an 86 double cab 4WD D21, with the Z18S(i know i know, hoping to do a KA24E swap). Took it for a warrant today and it failed on a couple of things, the main ones being excessive play in the steering(rack/column) and secondly excessive play in one of the tie rods.

Now, what other cars share the front end/steering rack with our trucks? Would a terrano steering rack and if need be tie rod, fit? What about a 2WD navara rack? I am asking as there aren't many wrecking 4wd navaras around here that are wrecking, but there are heaps of terranos

Any help appreciated! Oh and the other thing, is there any way I can check the spline count of my free wheeling hubs without taking the covers off? No biggie if not, just checking as someone has offered me some 27 spline hubs off his terrano for a decent price, and mine are missing from the previous owner(he said they got noisy or something)

Cheers, and this forum seems mint, found heaps of info and am planning on doing a KA24E swap at some stage

EDIT: Just had a decent look through the forum and have seen how to adjust it, will adjust it tomorrow, probably should have before i asked, but none the less still would like to know incase the box is buggered.

Last edited:
Pathfinder/terrano steering rack, yes. 4x2, no I don't think so.

It's easy to take the hub covers off, just do it. The other option is to match your car up to the hubs for sale on eBay and cross reference the spline count.

Awesome thanks Dion! Yeah I know its easy to do I'm just lazy as my ute is up on the street, not in the garage haha. Will check on it tomorrow, hoping its 27 spline.

Swap to a KA24E is a good swap - easy to do and better power and fuel.
There's a few threads here talking about such a swap (and I've done one myself).

Welcome along, good to see an old D21 getting some lovin'

Thanks Pinelli. Yea I have been looking through all the old threads on here and it seems like you, Dave and Dion are the ones to ask when it comes to the conversion! Have started weighing up the whole conversion and compiling info and I'm keen to go ahead with it when an engine comes up and I have money. Only engine around at the moment is a FWD one which is of no use to me.

My Z18 should really be the same as a Z24 just smaller right? I have been basing all my info off Z24-KA24 conversions as they must be pretty much the same.

Another thing, I just took off the auto locking hubs, they are 27 spline like I had hoped so can get some off a mate for $50(nzd) but I am not sure how I can tell if they are buggered? I have owned the truck for about a month and just took the previous owners word that they don't work and need new hubs, but have never even put it in 4wd mode to test it myself. Any way I can test them while they are out? I would just go drive onto a beach and see but would rather not get stuck in 2wd and need to get towed out.

EDIT: Oh and what would cause excessive play in the LH inner tie rod? Just need a new tie rod joint or what?

Last edited:
Yeah it'd just be a new joint you'll need.

The Z18 is the same as the Z24 for all intents and purposes for that swap. Most of the work is in the conversion from carbie to EFI, which is just about independent of the engine model and capacity.

Take a look in the latest posts of my buildlog, there is a toasted locking hub photo in there. It's not blaringly obvious when they fail, unless they totally lunch themselves.

EDIT: Just read that they're auto locking hubs... You're on your own there.

2WD swap for a KA24E is fine, as long as its from a rear wheel drive car like a ute.
The only modification is to the sump pan, which is what I did. The sump pan from the Z18 will come close to fitting the KA24E, you just need to weld a bit on the front, and swap over the oil stick. I've written that up and put a picture of the welded mod to the old Z sump pan on here somewhere.

Tadum! THere is also a close picture of the front the sump in my gallery as well.
Modified_sump_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back