smart alternators

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the ys23 engines have smart alternators fitted?
i have a service manual which says the yd25 version does have one fitted but i have no info on the ys23.

this will be rather important for anyone fitting a second battery.

the manual also says not to connect any load to negative battery terminal directly as this can upset the charging system due to there being a current sensor in the earth line.
ie if you temp connect big spotlight connect the earth to the chassis/engine etc rather than the earth post.

The easiest way is to use a multimeter on the terminal whilst it idles. The smart alternator will charge at approx 13.5volts not the 14.4 of the real alternator. I'd say it will be a smart (dumb) alternator fitted.

i would say just about all new vehicles would now be fitted with this type of alternator, why not just more expense to replace.

i would say just about all new vehicles would now be fitted with this type of alternator, why not just more expense to replace.
i wouldn't think the alternator be any more expensive to replace (but its a good excuse to jack the price up) but it has a separate ecu to run it which ups the cost and complexity.

if you have charging problems is it the alt, the ecu or the sensor ?

also i wonder about battery life. lead batteries generally do not like being partly charged for long periods and do not like huge amounts of charge.

When you consider it, there's a number of reasons for moving TO a smart alternator, not all in the favour of the vehicle owner.

* More engine power available. The alternator uses a small percentage of engine power to generate the electricity used to run the engine and charge the battery, so switching the alternator off allows that power to go to the wheels.

* Batteries won't last as long so they'll need more frequent replacement. This helps the battery manufacturers and the recyclers.

* Alternators have a small amount of electronics in them to monitor the battery and switch off when a certain threshold is reached. That doesn't make them smart chargers, just more complex. A little complexity can make a lot of cost if you can't duplicate that complexity with something else.

* Other battery management systems (dual battery, towing feeds) need to be reinvented, so there's more R&D, more products entering the market etc etc.

You want to know what's silly? Most of the smart alternators stop being "smart" when you turn your headlights on. For those of you with smart alternators, try it and let us know - I've heard (from a few manufacturers and NOT from Navara owners) that the headlight trick works.

ok so today i have had a elcheapo gauge plugged into the cig socket.
12.2v with engine off. rise to 14.2v with engine running.
during driving so far i have not seen any real change in voltage. its dropped to 14.1v but nothing remotely like what i'm told you should see for a smart alternator. (which is lower voltage when cruising and increased voltage when coasting downhill or powering uphill).

at the moment it looks like the low powered version of the ys23 doesn't have a smart alternator.

Latest posts

Back