New to Navara Asia. Info on my d21 please??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi evreyone. Im new to this site and this is my first post. Its a great looking site.

I have a 1987 d21 king cab navara and i cant praise it enough. However i would like to get more height out of it. i have been reading on here and it is easy enough to do a spring over on the rear but what about the front?

Also, what is an SAS conversion? Im sorry if these are basic questions but my mechanical knowledge goes not much further than an oil change.

Cheers

Gday mate, hows it goin.....

Welcome to the show, good onya for lovin an older series Nav.
Hang around and I'm sure you get the info you need.

Cheers

Hi mate. Assuming yours is 4x4, I'm sorry to tell you there is no such thing as a spring over conversion, as the spring is already on the top. In the rear you can use spacer blocks (crap), extended shackles (illegal), add-a-leaf (crap), off the shelf lifted springs ($$$) or a custom leaf pack (perfect and reasonably priced) to lift the truck. In the front you can change the ride height by reindexing and cranking the torsion bars for a higher ride height with the same spring rate. You are limited to 2" lift by the independent front suspension, or you can spend wayyyy too much money to get the kit required for 3". Unless you have a steel bullbar, winch and dual batteries making your front end heavier, don't let anyone tell you you need aftermarket torsion bars. You will however need a wheel alignment when all is said and done to fix the oodles of positive camber and toe-in you will have.

A SAS is a solid axle swap, where the independent front suspension is cut out in favour of a solid front axle (like that from a patrol). There aren't many sources in Aus for an axle with the diff offset to the left and a SAS needs to be engineered to be legal so mostly it's just an expensive exercise that seems to be talked about a lot every school holidays.

Last edited:
Thanks Dion,

So it sounds like a custom leaf pack and cranking the torsion bars look like the way to go. Its only an auto 2wd. Thanks for all that good info. Would you know where i can get some more information on custom leaf springs and cranking the torsion bar? cost etc.... A wheel alignment doesnt usually cost too much so thats no problem there.

That SAS procedure sounds like a major f**k around for not much gained...

Thanks once again mate :)

Gday mate, hows it goin.....

Welcome to the show, good onya for lovin an older series Nav.
Hang around and I'm sure you get the info you need.

Cheers

Thanks mate. Its been a top notch little ute. I payed a bit to get it running really well. Now i trust it to take me almost anywhere and it is sooo reliable.

Ill be sure to post some more questions or info on here soon.

Take care :)

I figured it must have been a 4x4 since you wanted to lift it, but if it's 2wd then yes you can do a SOA conversion as in the 4x2 the spring is underneath

Latest posts

Back