v9x radiator removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_rawls7

Reaction score
Hi All, Getting straight to the point.
I have a 2013 Navara D40 V9X (Spanish Built) and I am needing to change the radiator.

Problem!!, I cant see how to remove the radiator from the side mounting brackets. I am sure I have removed everything needed however I am unsure of how in the lords name you get the radiator out of the support.

The radiator only pushes down about 1cm so it wont clear the locating pins on the top tank of the radiator and even if it would slide down I cant see how to remove it from the mounts unless it is supposed to come out the bottom.

Has anyone removed the radiator from the V9X?

please ask any questions and I will answer them urgently!! Any and all help is appreciated :)

This thread still exists, but it appears that nobody's answered it.

We don't seem to have had too many people eager to take on radiator removal on the V9X. Hell, I've not done it on my YD25 - I had my local mechanic do it. I'll do the intercooler, but not the radiator.

You'd have to be aware of the transmission cooler lines as well - I would expect the V9X to be similar in this respect to the YD25. Also be careful with the bolts holding the electric thermal fan in place, so they don't jag on the air conditioner's condensor.

If there are transmission cooler lines to the radiator, clamp them before disconnection and have a container ready underneath to catch the ATF as it comes out. I've had mine disconnected, I use 2 external coolers now, and leave the radiator purely for cooling the engine. This isn't for efficiency - it's so that my radiator can never contaminate the gearbox and vice versa.

Hi All, Getting straight to the point.
I have a 2013 Navara D40 V9X (Spanish Built) and I am needing to change the radiator.

Problem!!, I cant see how to remove the radiator from the side mounting brackets. I am sure I have removed everything needed however I am unsure of how in the lords name you get the radiator out of the support.

The radiator only pushes down about 1cm so it wont clear the locating pins on the top tank of the radiator and even if it would slide down I cant see how to remove it from the mounts unless it is supposed to come out the bottom.

Has anyone removed the radiator from the V9X?

please ask any questions and I will answer them urgently!! Any and all help is appreciated :)
Hi mate,

I have just started tackelling this myself yesterday. I tried and tried and found that my HPD intercooler was actually holding the bottom of the rails together not allowing the radiator to drop down. Once that was out it came free easily.

I replaced my radiator with an all aluminium radiator (2012 V9X Spain), disconnected ALL hoses and pipes etc. as well as the radiator fan (Important!).
On the sides of the radiator is a rubber mount, aka shock absorber, that locks into a similar mount attached to the frame (best description = like a grommet)
When onside is loosened and you go to lever the other side up, first side pops in again, definitely need two people for removal. With the fan and shroud removed a small adult can fit between the radiator and engine to help support and remove the radiator.
The real pain in the posterior comes when fitting the new radiator, you have to contend with the side mounts as well as the underside of said radiator. There are two pegs that have to fit into two grommets that hold the intercooler (to stop it moving around) in other words you now have to line up FOUR points at the same time. The red circled part is unbolted off the old radiator and put onto the new one.
Good luck to those who wish to DIY or want to spend a few hundred dollars and get a shop to do it, although my Nav has been thoroughly bled etc. I still have an EGR Cooling Performance error (P2457) that I have to clear every time before I restart the engine or else the engine light goes on and into a semi limp mode.

Attachments

• RAD 1.jpg
    RAD 1.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
  • RAD.jpg
    RAD.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi Old.Tony, yes I have done that, sprayed them wet with Brake cleaner and dried with compressed air then sprayed with WD40 and re-plugged.
Nav goes in for service at the end of this coming week and the mechanic says he is familiar with this problem (at my age I don't think I qualify for a mortgage.)
Will post how it went, heading to Bundaberg and Rockhampton early April.
Oh, did I mention the oil leak? car is only 3500 +- overdue for service.

I replaced my radiator with an all aluminium radiator (2012 V9X Spain), disconnected ALL hoses and pipes etc. as well as the radiator fan (Important!).
On the sides of the radiator is a rubber mount, aka shock absorber, that locks into a similar mount attached to the frame (best description = like a grommet)
When onside is loosened and you go to lever the other side up, first side pops in again, definitely need two people for removal. With the fan and shroud removed a small adult can fit between the radiator and engine to help support and remove the radiator.
The real pain in the posterior comes when fitting the new radiator, you have to contend with the side mounts as well as the underside of said radiator. There are two pegs that have to fit into two grommets that hold the intercooler (to stop it moving around) in other words you now have to line up FOUR points at the same time. The red circled part is unbolted off the old radiator and put onto the new one.
Good luck to those who wish to DIY or want to spend a few hundred dollars and get a shop to do it, although my Nav has been thoroughly bled etc. I still have an EGR Cooling Performance error (P2457) that I have to clear every time before I restart the engine or else the engine light goes on and into a semi limp mode.
Good luck with the bleeding thing. I had my V9X into the local NIssan dealer for the 160,000 service at which time the coolant is changed. Picked up the car and the engine warning light was on.They had not bled the system correctly. Back to the shop the next day to get the system bled again. I believe they had to do it several times before the warning light would stay off..

The key to preventing airlocks is to refill the system at the litres per minute specified (1.5 from memory).
Easily overlooked!

Good luck with the bleeding thing. I had my V9X into the local NIssan dealer for the 160,000 service at which time the coolant is changed. Picked up the car and the engine warning light was on.They had not bled the system correctly. Back to the shop the next day to get the system bled again. I believe they had to do it several times before the warning light would stay off..

Remove the 2 small hoses at the top plastic over flow tank they go to the egr cooler pump that wont self prime. Pour coolant down them with a small funnel and that will fix it. You may have to do it twice .The 2457 is egr code for cooler flow. Make sure you have bled the hoses going to the heater core.

Latest posts

Back