D21 navara engine conversion to sd33

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazza1369

Reaction score
I have an extremely unusul question.

I have an old 1988 d21 td27t originally z24. And im considering the possibility of trying to drop a sd33 6cyl diesel motor into it with the 5 speed manual out of old mk partol.

Im also look into putting leaf spring front diff in aswell getting rid of the torsion rod setup.

Has anyone done anything similar and have any advise for me thanks

i have a few questions for you :)

i have a D21 hardbody with a dead Z24 and am converting it to a TD27T (health problems are making it a very slow job) My thread did you do the conversion? was there any problems you bumped in to when doing it?

is there a reason you want to go up from a TD27T or is your one just dead

as for your questions on the leaf springs dose the frame have the mounting points for them? and the ute would need to go back and get a full engineering cert to re-register it for the road

Hi mate ony issue i had with my conversion was i made my own wiring harness still running the petrol harness until i got another one. And bell housing for the diesel motor i didn't replace the gearbox just changed bellhousing. Engine mounts were all the same everything bolted in for me.

I do like the td27t but i need a 6cyl cause im hauling around fair bit of weight with all my tools. As for spring conversion ive seen forums where has been done over in the state's i have to make hanging mounts.

I have an extremely unusul question.

I have an old 1988 d21 td27t originally z24. And im considering the possibility of trying to drop a sd33 6cyl diesel motor into it with the 5 speed manual out of old mk partol.
for a daily driver it has some issues.

big one is weight. those 6's are not light.
then dimensions and getting it to fit.
i did see someone putting a td42 in and it goes right back through the firewall. that also gives a few gearbox linkage issues. not to mention driveshafts and cross members.

for the cost it would be cheaper just to get a patrol.

the other options is to do up the TD27t. they can make decent power.
or drop in a QD32t.

btw a quick look at SD33 specs shows TD27t makes more power in stock form. so the SD33 will be a backwoulds step power wise.

SD33 was a great engine based on the UD Truck engine. There slow. The SD33T was a little better.

Good thing about them being quite an under stressed engine I've seen them go 500,000K without hardly laying a spanner on them. I know i use to own an MQ with the 33T engine.

However as mentioned the cost, the hassle, it's just not worth it. If indeed it would fit.

An old MQ is better bet if you find one where the roof hasn't rusted off it.

As mentioned

Put a turbo on them and they go ok haha. If you could pick up an old mk wagon with an sd33 in it with a good chassis, you may be better off doing a cab swap to put your navara cab on the patrol chassis. That way you won't have any suspension issues and you will have the motor you want...

Hey everyone thanks for all the information i was lookng at doind a sd33 conversion solely for the fact i have a mk ute and mk wagon sitting out the back. And im carrying close to 2.5t in weight in the navara at most times. The td27t doesnt have the power unfortunately that is why im looking at putting a 6cyl motor in.

. And im carrying close to 2.5t in weight in the navara at most times.

that doesn't sound right.
maybe 2.5t gross which is probably about max for them. afaik they are a bit lighter than the D22 and have lower load amount.
but thats not a weight that will cause a motor issue.

The td27t doesnt have the power unfortunately that is why im looking at putting a 6cyl motor in.

so your solution is to put a lower powered engine in? :deadhorse:

not to mention increase in weight will probably put you over max weight.

you best bet engine wise is the QD32t, would have to fit an mechanical injection pump and tune it. would pay to change the gearbox as well.

your TD27t will do it with out a problem. after all its a commercial engine like the sd33. if starting off is an issue then look at diff ratios. however keep in mind the 5th gear issues those gearboxes had.

Latest posts

Back