Chip/Pedal box for v9x help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pathy550

Reaction score
In the pursuit of getting rid of the down low "turbo lag" and a little extra fuel economy my next mod is a chip. I would prefer an ecu tune but because I live in the sticks I believe the plug n play type of performance better suits me. So I was wondering if anyone can give some feedback on the chip they have used. Also if the pedal box/ wind booster are worth trying. Any feed back will be appreciated.

Thanks Pathy550

Man seriously get one of these. https://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/advance-2-throttle-controller-2/ $189 and has heaps of functions and good setting range. Aus supplier. I have the e 2 series and its awesome. Need to say it's broken to the misses to get an upgrade!

Don't know about chips as I have diesel tune if you spend a Gino then just go the 1500 to 2k for a tune unless it's too far to travel and see a reputable tuner. Less hassles down the track and better performance figures. I have 177kw atw and 716nm.

We've seen products like that before - Windbooster comes to mind.

Their biggest problem is that they don't actually modify anything beyond the car's limits that are already there. Example: in "drag racing mode", all that really happens is that as you start to press the throttle, this device takes the partial signal and sends a full signal to the ECU, so that while you've only just touched the accelerator, the ECU thinks you've pressed the pedal to the floor. The "valet" function just brings the throttle on more smoothly, even if you jab your foot on the accelerator.

With practice, you can save yourself the money and just do it yourself (makes you a better driver too). You aren't getting any more power or economy out of the vehicle that a skilled driver couldn't achieve.

A performance chip that DOES modify the ECU fuel/air handling (eg Unichip) modifies the air/fuel rates (injector opening timing, rail pressure, turbo boost pressure) and you do get more power - at a cost. While plug-n-play, these performance chips cost over $1K each (some considerably closer to $2K). Over the remaining life of the vehicle, you might consider that expense as valuable for the performance gains or that it pays for itself in the economy gains.

For my money, the STX550 leaves enough Hiluxes and Amaroks for dead that you don't need to modify it at all.

The turbo lag is most noticeable when moving off the line. So the engine is at idle, you hit the loud pedal and not much happens for the first half a second. After then, off it goes....

You can improve this by replacing the rubber hoses between the turbo and the intercooler and iintake with hard pipes.

Don’t bother with the peddle boxes. Pay me $300 instead and I’ll just tape a block of wood to your foot to press the pedal down further.

Latest posts

Back