blowing heaps of black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucky13

Reaction score
G day everybody i have an 08stx with only 120000 k's on the clock and it is blowing heaps of black smoke. Now this vehicle is serviced regularly and i have tried fuel additives to apparently flush the engine clean but it hasn't helped in the slightest. So just wondering if any of you might have any suggestions for me to sort this problem.
Steve

They all blow some smoke being diesel, excess smoke can be a multitude of problems. Have you done the EGR block?, that wont stop smoke at speed and when you sink the boot in but it's a start.

I'd suspect turbocharger control first. How's the vehicle's performance?

If performance is normal then the turbo is probably fine, you may have a dirty MAFS. Use electrical contact cleaner in the little hole in the end and hold it out to dry for 30 seconds.

Thanks for he replies guys. No John I haven't gone down he EGR Block as I was old some time ago it would encourage black smoke. Longy I don't think I have any leaks from hoses as I would expect loss of power but I will certainly have a look . Tony as for performance the car seems to go alright but when pulling away from the lights I have to stick the boot in otherwise I it lags but once it gets going it is fine. It also tows my 2 ton boat without to many problems except for the smoke. So this MAFS can you tell me what this is so I can investigate it further. Once again thanks guys I appreciate any advice on this
Steve

when was the last fuel filter change?

i would reset the fuel data. there is a procedure for it, can;t remember if ecu reset will also do it with D40's.

diesels should not smoke.
the "normal" smoke you guys see is usually caused by sub standard fuel.
NZ has laws against smoking vehicles, so fuel companies are forced to provide decent fuel.

when was the last fuel filter change?

i would reset the fuel data. there is a procedure for it, can;t remember if ecu reset will also do it with D40's.

diesels should not smoke.
the "normal" smoke you guys see is usually caused by sub standard fuel.
NZ has laws against smoking vehicles, so fuel companies are forced to provide decent fuel.
Its pretty common for all the nissans to blow a good burst of smoke on take off over here iv got a mate that works across the rd from nissan/toyota/jeep/honda/subaru/hyundi/holden/VW car yards and he tells me all the nissans do it alot more then any other make.

Its pretty common for all the nissans to blow a good burst of smoke on take off over here iv got a mate that works across the rd from nissan/toyota/jeep/honda/subaru/hyundi/holden/VW car yards and he tells me all the nissans do it alot more then any other make.
yet i never see them on the roads over here smoking.
your guys fuel is the biggest culprit.

Same fuel that I use ... 55 cetane, engine runs smooth ... I doubt it's the fuel in that case unless you only buy from a small country town servo that might get refilled once every couple of years.

i would reset the fuel data or reset the ecu.
really common for them to blow tons of smoke after a service due to fuel filter change. sometimes the ecu doesn't seam to learn that the fuel systems has changed.

Latest posts

Back