I Need a timing chain repalcement WA

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hardy

Reaction score
Hi folks - the ominous tick from a timing chain problem has emerged in my D22.
Does anyone know of a mechanic or workshop in WA who would be good to take on the job. I went to Nissan Mandurah and when I asked if it was the kind of problem that I might walk away from, the foreman's answer was "Yes". He was implying that the cost would be prohibitive . My D22 is a 2011 with 90,000 on the clock. It's has had an easy life.
Regards - Paul Hardy

Check your oil level or change it first.
This model usually ticks on start up especially when cold until the oil gets there.

mine makes a noise on start-up for up to 5 minutes that you`d swear was a bent pushrod if it were a v8, it`s done it since about 15000, if i put alittle rubber grease on the alternator belts it will shut up for 5000!!!!! it`s a horrible tinny clacking sound, even just a quick spray of water on the belts stop it instantly, i`ve got 65000 kms now and all good, i thought the d22 2.5 was not a timing chain eater? good luck and let us know how you go (((-;

Mine sits for 2 weeks at a time while I'm away for work and still only takes 10 or so seconds to build up enough pressure to stop tapping.

As mentioned above, the most common source of noises is squeaky belts on the d22. That's not to say it isn't timing chain noise, but if you haven't had your belts changed recently I'd do that first before forking out for a new timing chain.

what about after market oil filters that don,t have the one way release valve built in ? i have heard that without this valve in the filter when the filter sits for a while the oil drains out and when you start up the engine it takes a little time for the oil to re fill the top end and stop the lifter tick. the oil filter is mounted up side down so it does make sense.

Yeah possibly, I run a ryco oil filter on mine but I wouldn't call it an excessive amount of time to build oil pressure.

what about after market oil filters that don,t have the one way release valve built in ? i have heard that without this valve in the filter when the filter sits for a while the oil drains out and when you start up the engine it takes a little time for the oil to re fill the top end and stop the lifter tick. the oil filter is mounted up side down so it does make sense.

Thanks Jonney - I actually put in a genuine Nissan filter with a non return and the ticking sounded for longer. I think I got better results with the ryco which also had a non return so I'll try the ryco again

Mine sits for 2 weeks at a time while I'm away for work and still only takes 10 or so seconds to build up enough pressure to stop tapping.

As mentioned above, the most common source of noises is squeaky belts on the d22. That's not to say it isn't timing chain noise, but if you haven't had your belts changed recently I'd do that first before forking out for a new timing chain.

Thanks Bods - OK I'll get some rubber grease and maybe inspect and change belts

mine makes a noise on start-up for up to 5 minutes that you`d swear was a bent pushrod if it were a v8, it`s done it since about 15000, if i put alittle rubber grease on the alternator belts it will shut up for 5000!!!!! it`s a horrible tinny clacking sound, even just a quick spray of water on the belts stop it instantly, i`ve got 65000 kms now and all good, i thought the d22 2.5 was not a timing chain eater? good luck and let us know how you go (((-;

Thanks Beaver - will definitely get some rubber grease

Thanks heaps for your help guys. As a pensioner an expensive repair may not be an option. But I will try all your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on.
Regards - Paul

I went to repco today and they gave me some belt grip. Really I didn't think about this enough. I put it on and belt noise was increased. It wasn't what was needed. I tried some silicon spray on grease and that quietened things down. I am now realising there is a lot of belt noise

There is a good reason for the belts to squeak. worn bearings on belt adjusters and worn belts. why don,t the belts squeak when the car is new ?
because nothing has worn. yes you can use special spray lubes but this is just a quick fix that will return quick. so if the squeak noise returns you know its time to replace the belts and maybe check and or replace the belts tensioner bearings. but do try the spray as i certainly would before replacing the belts etc.

Tried some lanatech today . Very quiet now fingers crossed. Will try wd40 too Tony. At least there is a strong possibility that the timing chain may be OK - thanks for the help guys

jonney, what brand of belts do you have? mine look like new still but have made these noises since near new. glad that`s all it is by the sounds of things paul, happy holidaying mate (((-:

Dayco Top Cog Gold Label are the go

theyre made in the USA and take a loooooong time to crack

i get mine from bursons

alternatively you can look up the part numbers on the dayco website and buy them from ebay

ive found on my yd25 D40 some of the other brands like carlisle and bosch etc that come out of cheap manufacturing in SE asia last bugger all and squeak like a bastard

cant beat US rubber

I've got supercheap calibre brand ones on mine, apparently made by gates. They don't seem too bad. Didn't get a lot of km out of the factory ones on mine before they started sounding horrible on cold starts. They were reasonably old by age though which is a factor too, not just how many km on the vehicle. A bit like tyres...

After 7 starts - 3 were early in the day I hear no sound after wd40 on my belts and filter with one way release valve. I now think it is a belt issue. So glad I chatted to you guys. Replacing my belts is on the agenda now. I guess radiator off to get access? Thanks Folks

Latest posts

Back