Titan VK56DE Swap into D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VK56DE

Reaction score
Hi everyone , i just wanted to start a thread to see what interest there is in swapping the Titan VK56DE engine & trans into a D40 ..... It has to be a petrol VQ40 auto model as it will be a straight swap in ..... I have an 06 Titan set up for sale & have had no interest , i just wanted to give people an opportunity to ask some questions or to discuss any concerns ...... Look forward to some feed back , Cheers

I thought about it in my old D40, but I bought a 550 instead. Once it finished it will have more then enough power and still be fuel efficient.

While it appears to be a worth wile swap most of the guys in AUS simply do an LS swap as the motors are cheaper than the VK56, you can pick up a L98 and 6l80 combo for about 4 - 5k these days. Fitting it becomes the expensive bit......

I agree , going the LS route would certainly push your cost way up there as it wont be as straight forward as one might think .....

Im quite surprised there isn't more interest in doing the Titan Engine & trans swap as it is a straight bolt in affair , only a couple of custom things need to be done & thats it , the swap can be done in a short period of time

Ive considered putting one in my race car. What sort of power can you get out of these motors without going to higher compression pistons or new heads?

I am unsure of exact figures in stock form , though the VK56 is becoming very popular in the US for drifting & they have now entered the V8 SuperCars .... Jim Wolf in the US & Kelford in NZ do cams for these engines & Stillen do superchargers , these parts can be fitted in a stock engine & give 500+Hp .....

A ls swap in d40 woukd be pretty sweet what gearboxes are people using and can you still retain 4wd ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Doing the Titan Engine swap will be much more cost effective , i have just finished an LS2 swap into a Toyota & by no means was that easy , everything under neath needed to be modded to suit the sub frame & tunnel etc ...... Looking at the sump arrangement on the VK56 compared to an LS front or rear sump , your going to have a lot of major issues , unless maybe a dry sump system is used even if that works , you still have to figure out the transmission & wiring ....

This Titan Drop Out is a straight bolt in , bar a few small mod's & your good to go ..... Im still wondering why no one is interested in doing this swap

Probably because they never came out here and no ones really seen the two vehicles side by side to notice its a straight swap as you say?? Must be a ripper of an engine though. But what's the advantage of taking the engine out of a perfectly good titan and putting it in a navara?

But what's the advantage of taking the engine out of a perfectly good titan and putting it in a navara?

Surely it wouldn't just be from a perfectly good truck?
Maybe from a write-off and they're trying to reclaim some loses?

Id say more power , more torque , apart from the obvious it being a V8 , i guess putting it into the smaller body you'd get more performance

I guess its one of those things that needs to be done first so people can see its actually that easy , it has been done in the US in the Frontier which is basically the Navara here .... I have been down to wreckers & have looked into the engine bay of a Petrol D40 & the mounting arrangement is exactly the same as the Titan , research says that the Titan & D40 share the same F Alpha platform , some 2008-12 US Model Nissan Pathfinder's also came factory with a VK56DE

No , not from a perfectly good Titan , this Titan package was pulled from a Titan sourced at the Auctions in the US ..... I had been searching for some time to find complete Titan engine & transmissions in the US , but found that it was almost impossible to do as the salvage yards in the US butcher these engines on removal & strip off all the components for seperate sale .....

I also have an 07 Titan package with VVT on it's way

Ah, ok. For some reason I thought you said you were pulling the transplant from a Titan you couldn't sell. Wasn't questioning why it would be a good conversion.
Just out of curiosity - How does the cost of one of those donks compare to an LS all fabwork aside?

At 9.5k its a little more than most(me) are willing to spend on a conversion. Me personally I would love a vk nav with a harrop charger to keep it all nissan, and being youre in perth as well makes it all the more attractive. Just convincing the "bank manager" is my biggest issue. And the downtime of the swap. Daily driver n all.

Last edited:
Hi everyone , i just wanted to start a thread to see what interest there is in swapping the Titan VK56DE engine & trans into a D40 ..... It has to be a petrol VQ40 auto model as it will be a straight swap in ..... I have an 06 Titan set up for sale & have had no interest , i just wanted to give people an opportunity to ask some questions or to discuss any concerns ...... Look forward to some feed back , Cheers
Very interested to see if you went through with it and if it was as easy as you are saying please
Thank you

Latest posts

Back