HID kit In 2012 D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazza11

Reaction score
Hey All,

Has anyone installed a HID kit for there high/low beam in a 2012 navara? If so are they worth getting? Ive heard there could be a problem with over heating and possibly melting the plastic of the head light, Is this true??

Cheers

I don't know about overheating , but unless it's lensed properly (and it has to have washer and autoleveller installed to make it fully compliant) then it's illegal and you could get pinged for it.

And you'll annoy other motorists. I just came back on an evening ride and had to face two morons who had put HID globes in their headlights without lensing. It left me completely unable to see the road, so I flicked to my high beam - my bike has 2 headlights and 4 driving lights. I hope both of the idiots enjoyed the show.

I have had them in my D22 and to be honest they are crap. No issues with melting lenses or anything, but crap light spread and as above annoy everyone else. There was a guy on this forum ages ago doing projector retrofits (unless it was the patrol forum), but they require putting the headlight in the oven to soften the glue and then glueing it back together. There is a place in the states that sells projector kits for h4 headlights, similar gear to the one I mentioned. From memory when I looked into them they were around $300 for the pair so I couldn't really justify it.

Still not legal, but a lot more usable than throwing a pair of eBay crap in the lights. You won't cop crap from the police either as they will look legit.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

The reflector lens is only suited for a H4 Halogen globe, anything else you are wasting your time and money.
You will loose projected light up to half the distance and spread is not much better.
Better off throwing in a pair of the Narva +120's and be happy with what you have.

This is the website I was thinking of. These are the ones I was looking at, but couldn't justify the cost.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bixenon-morimoto-mini-d2s-stage-3.html

If you want awesome lights though, this is the best way to do it. I should also say, they do a LHD and RHD version so just make sure if you go this way you select the correct projectors...

Last edited:
HiD adds large amounts of extra parts and complexity which adds to issues with lighting and electrical in a car
They have a ballast and ignitor, and a gas filled tube bulb, instead of a simple filament in halogen like a normal bulb
LED upgrades are the way to go if you want to fiddle with your headlights, but in reality unless you spend a looooot of money they're not really going to improve drivability
Its hard to compete with high end halogen lamps like the philips xtreme plus or the IPF fatboy 2
LED and HiD struggle to maintain good colour rendition and shadow depth and therefore add to driver fatigue
Philips ultinon LED H4 are not bad but the light colour is quite blue and harsh in my opinion

I think the concept of "headlight upgrade" sometimes overtakes the practical reality of which lights are really the best to use

has anyone fitted LED H4 globes. i have acquired a secondhand set with no instructions!

I haven't, but you'd have to expect that if they're H4 replacement globes, then they should just fit straight in.

I'd be interested to see how they go in some of the newer cars. There's an issue with the way they manage power to the headlight globes.

The issue is that in the traditional H4 setup, you have a "U" arrangement of tabs that accept power. The left side of the "U" (as you're looking at the base of the bulb) is the "Common" which used to be connected to negative. The bottom of the U is low beam, and the right hand one is high beam. We'd tap into that right hand one for a positive feed to a relay for driving lights and it'd work.

In newer cars, that's not necessarily the case. The "Common" pin might be negative on low beam, but it switches to positive on high beam with the high beam pin changing to negative. I tried fitting a relay to one of these cars and ended up connecting pin 85 to common and 86 to high beam just to get the things to work!

Now this will make the LED thing interesting - because LED is a diode, it only accepts power one way. If you try to power it backwards, you could burn it out at worst - so I expect cheaper LED units to fail in the newer setups.

My advice with LED units: check how your headlights change from low to high beam and if they're on the "new" method, there's some advantage in either carefully purchasing LED globes, or using a pair of relays to change the "new" H4 back to the old H4.

And a word on LED emitters - if the actual light emitting element of the globes isn't in the same location as the tungsten filaments in the halogen globe, the light will be created in the wrong place and won't be focussed correctly to shine forward well enough. This will not only weaken the amount of light available to you, but could easily cause a great deal of glare for oncoming drivers.

And causing the driver of a car coming towards you to be unable to see ... not really very high on the clever scale.

they were taken out of a little Jap car, so have no info on them!

vdmpok.jpg

You can only try them I guess. I have used them in Kenworth trucks before and can't say they were very good. It was on a mine site, so private haul road. Weren't too bad for you as the driver, but horrible when another one was coming towards you at night time with them. Best thing to do would be measure the length and diode location compared next to a halogen globe to see how they line up.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

In newer cars, that's not necessarily the case. The "Common" pin might be negative on low beam, but it switches to positive on high beam with the high beam pin changing to negative. I tried fitting a relay to one of these cars and ended up connecting pin 85 to common and 86 to high beam just to get the things to work!

Tony

A diagram of how you set the whole thing up would be great. Having that exact issue with a friend's Getz. Never had an issue wiring up lights legally but started on his and wtf so it has been in the too hard basket.

You may have problems with those lamps as they only have a single led and nothing for the low beam cutoff. I have fitted a set of NARVA ULTIMA H4 L.E.D GLOBES and I'm very happy with the beam pattern. They didn't require any headlight adjustment when fitted and are quite a bit brighter than the stock globes, but probably not as bright as some of the aftermarket halogens that are around. They work perfectly with the electric aim adjustment. They weren't exactly cheap, but I do a lot of night driving and was replacing halogens like nobody's business

Attachments

• 546700-zoom.jpg
    546700-zoom.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So if not HID lights, is there a recommendation to brighten up the head lights? more importantly low beam as I have driving lights installed to assist high beam. Just seems hard to see when on low beam.

I used to use a SCA brand 130/90W (they also do a 100/90W) globe in another car, and those globes were pretty awesome, but did generate more heat, but that car had glass, not polycarbonate headlights so it wasn't a problem. I also upgraded the wiring. Other than something like that your looking at any of the +100% ~ +150% variants on the market. Philips +130 Extreme Vision were a pretty good globe for me in the past but longevity was a problem. Others here also seem to like the IPF Fatboys but I have never tried those. Other than halogen, your looking at LED, either NARVA or Phillips or some other quality brand that does it right with the light source & cutoffs in the correct position for the reflectors.

Tony

A diagram of how you set the whole thing up would be great. Having that exact issue with a friend's Getz. Never had an issue wiring up lights legally but started on his and wtf so it has been in the too hard basket.

It's pretty easy in the long run. It relies on the fact that the coil in the relay isn't polarity-specific, so you can have it work no matter which way you hook up the wires to pins 85 and 86.

If you want to be able to use high beam without the driving lights on, then hook up a relay in the normal fashion in either of the lines going to pins 85 or 86 in the picture below. No power = no activation = no driving lights. Like this: earth in cabin to a switch, then the output of that switch to pin 85 of relay in the engine bay. Pin 86 of this new relay to positive. Pin 30 should come FROM the headlight (let's say the light blue line) and pin 87 of the new relay should go to pin 85 of the other relay.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Basic Driving Light Diagram.jpg
    Basic Driving Light Diagram.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 136
Hmmmm they look like china specials to me

Highly likely to be of the "dazzle oncoming traffic" variety

Try these
These IPF ones position the led unit exactly where the tungsten filament was in the original globe so they work with the cars reflector to shine where they should
As oldtony said if they are not designed to sit where the original globe did they will never work properly

http://www.ipf-light.com/catalog/341hlb.php

Back