What oil's are you using ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mechanic uses some sort of oil that is slippery and usually goldy in colour.

Just kidding, well sort of, he uses a turbo diesel oil from japan and dont mention its a diesel oil because its specifically made for turbo diesels.
Dont know the name of it, im speaking with him tomorrow il find out.
The car has done just under 190,000k and no problems, i also change diffs,gearbox etc every 40,000k otherwise if i do decent river crossings then i do em as soon as possible.

2004 ZD30 Navara with 250ks

I use Mobils Diesel Oil forget the grade but is excellent, Engine burns cheap Repco oils so definatly recommend a decent grade/Branded oil.Also I use genuine Nissan filters, ever cut a Repco and a Nissan oil filter in half? U'd buy Nissan.

oh and no real reason why I use Mobil oil.Just always owned Nissans and always fill up at Mobil so seemed logical to use mobil oil...

Last edited:
2005 ZD30 D22 100,000Km

Nulon 15W-40 High Protection Diesel Formula Engine Oil,
oil and filter change every 5000 Km.

Cheers Dean.

2008 d22 2.5 cr td with 13,666km

Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 oil
had the first oil change/filter change at 1000km, and then oil/filter at 10000km, but now i'll being doing oil/filter every 5000 (maybe fuel filter also)

anyone got reviews on the castrol gtx oil?

I am using shell rimula x engine, castrol vmx 80 gearbox,nulon 85-140 g5/6 rear diff. Can anyone suggest a reliable pumping system or oil syringe for the gearbox and diff?

88 TD27 220000 changed every 5000, just changed to Penrite Performance Diesel from some Gulf Western stuff. It seems quieter and smoother but since I just spent $75 changing the oil and filter it's probably a bit of cognitive dissonance.

Has anyone worked out how to change a vertical oil filter without a drain without covering your hands, the chassis, the front diff, the body work, the ground and anything within a six metre radius with thick, black, sticky, carcinogenic oil?

88 TD27 220000 changed every 5000, just changed to Penrite Performance Diesel from some Gulf Western stuff. It seems quieter and smoother but since I just spent $75 changing the oil and filter it's probably a bit of cognitive dissonance.

Has anyone worked out how to change a vertical oil filter without a drain without covering your hands, the chassis, the front diff, the body work, the ground and anything within a six metre radius with thick, black, sticky, carcinogenic oil?

high lift jack the side of the car that has the oil filter connecting onto the engine so that the oil runs down and out of the filter? lol

Oils

On a recent outing needed to change oil enroute Qld to WA so looked in the book which said to use genuine Nissan oil only in my D 40.
Off to Nissan in Townsville only to be told - "dont sell your oil mate only got it in 200L drums for the workshop".
Sent to Wades Distribution who made enquiries and provided me with 20litres of Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5w-30

Jeff.

Last edited:
hey guys,

Just did my 5K Oil Change using Delo 400. Dunno what the Oil cost but all 3 filters cost me $126 all up.

It's probably my imagination but it seems to be a tad less rattly at the top of the RPM range too.

cheers,
James.

yep the Delo 400 seems to get a good wrap. 20L is about $90. don't buy it in the 5L containers as they cost $45 each

On a recent outing needed to change oil enroute Qld to WA so looked in the book which said to use genuine Nissan oil only in my D 40.
Off to Nissan in Townsville only to be told - "dont sell your oil mate only got it in 200L drums for the workshop".
Sent to Wades Distribution who made enquiries and provided me with 20litres of Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5w-30

Jeff.

I have undertaken some investigative work on the right oil for a diesel auto D40 fitted with the [insert suitable expletive] DPF! Nissan are very particular on the oil to be used (read warranty issues) - especially with a DPF fitted. The advice Jeff received was correct you must use a 5W-30. Furthermore it must be ACEA SAPS Classification C3 so that the DPF doesn't fill up with crap.

Shell make oils for Nissan. Shell's own branded for an auto D40 diesel is Helix Ultra 05W-30.

B.H.

Last edited:
Mobil also have oil that is for the D40 with the DPF, I haven't got the name of it handy but the dealer I brought my Nav from uses only Mobil. I've got my guy sourcing Mobil at this stage since the same Mobil depot supply's my servicing guy and the dealer I got the car from.

The one thing which may throw a cat among the pigeons now is that my local Mobil depot is changing over to Caltex, from what I've been able to gather while on holidays they are still supplying all the same major business they supplied as Mobil it will just be a different badge on the truck. So if what I've been able to find out so far remains true then my dealer is changing his recommended Nissan oil from Mobil to Caltex. So much for one brand recommended as better.

Well Castrol will tell that 'oils aint oils'. My view is that providing the specs meet or exceed Nissan's mandated requirements then surely it will be fine regardless of who's label is stuck on front of drum.

Well Castrol will tell that 'oils aint oils'. My view is that providing the specs meet or exceed Nissan's mandated requirements then surely it will be fine regardless of who's label is stuck on front of drum.

My thoughts exactly but suprising enough most dealers will tell you the only "recommended" Nissan oil is the stuff they use in their workshops, which would be fine if they all used the same stuff but we know that isn't true. Still if it makes them feel better by using the word "recommended" and charging triple the price for it then I guess it's all good.

Armed with the Nissan specs for oil I went to several different shops today looking for oil for my 10K service. Typical of products these days the book says I need 6.4 litres and shops are selling 5 litre bottles. Anyway while I could find several products that were the 5W-30 that Nissan recommend in 2 out of 3 shops I could not find one brand of oil that had the exact specs Nissan stated and those that were close started at $75 for 5 litres.

In the end I went to Supercrap and found oil with the exact recommendations, the low ash, c3, etc etc that Nissan state in their manuals and it was only $50 a bottle. The brand is Nulon which until today wasn't a brand I associated with motor oils but given that every spec on the bottle is as Nissan states it should be and it's the only one on the shelf that did that I'm happy enough to give it a try. Stuff probably comes out of the same refinery as the leading brands do anyway.

Armed with the Nissan specs for oil I went to several different shops today looking for oil for my 10K service. Typical of products these days the book says I need 6.4 litres and shops are selling 5 litre bottles. Anyway while I could find several products that were the 5W-30 that Nissan recommend in 2 out of 3 shops I could not find one brand of oil that had the exact specs Nissan stated and those that were close started at $75 for 5 litres.

In the end I went to Supercrap and found oil with the exact recommendations, the low ash, c3, etc etc that Nissan state in their manuals and it was only $50 a bottle. The brand is Nulon which until today wasn't a brand I associated with motor oils but given that every spec on the bottle is as Nissan states it should be and it's the only one on the shelf that did that I'm happy enough to give it a try. Stuff probably comes out of the same refinery as the leading brands do anyway.

In the shell range...Ultra Extra 5W-30 for the 2.5TD D40 and in Castrol, OEM SLX 5W-30 or even 0W-30 are their recommended oils for all Aust climates.

Oh, and its far cheaper to buy the 20 litre drums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back