Where to fit the CB?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filobz

Reaction score
Picked up my new D40 last Thursday & spent the weekend fitting the nudge bar, driving lights, electric brakes & CB aerial (I've got the braised & brused knuckles to proove it). I think I will install the CB radio in the little tray on the dash as I have used the space above the centre console for the electric brake controller. Has anyone any better ideas?:suicide:

Hi,

I put mine behind the gear stick in that little tray. Attache the bracket above and drilled a hole in the back of the tray to run the wires out and then mounted an external speaker on the centre console just next to the gear stick, passenger side.

John

Thanks John,
I ended up putting both the electric brakes & the CB in the spot above the tray. I found if I moved the brake controller as far to the right as possible, I had enough room to mount the CB next to it. The result looks good.
Phil

Depends on what type of UHF - I fitted an Icom 440 with all the controls and speaker in the handset. The black box is out of sight behind the dash.

HI guys,

I was just wondering how your powering up your uhf radio's? Is it by the cigarette lighter or straight from the battery.

I was thinking about wiring mine from the cigarette lighter and wanted to know how to remove this in a D40 to make it a clean install, any ideas?

Is this way ok to wire it up or would you suggest another way for safe use, better install etc...

any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

straight to the battery as you dont need to have the keys in the car to use it

as it is somewhat of a safety/emergency thing at times you'd want to be able to use it even if the car is dead (main fuses blow or key snapped in barrel with no spare, etc)

well thats my opinion

I installed mine under the drivers seat with the remote mic, no room in the D40 dash

ok so whats the set up from the battery then? A fuse in line for the positive and as close to the battery as possible I have heard is this correct?

Anything else you need to do with this set up?

Thanks

mines mounted in the dash under the stereo (think d22 style) with the wires running behind the dash to the rubber grommet where all wires enter from the engine bay (located on the passenger side) and running along the firewall (cabled tied on the way at intervals) to the battery with a fuse on either neg or pos side (though my uniden came with an inline fuse, i just extended the cables)

if you can get the wire through the firewall closer to the battery then go for it!

you dont really need it to be short as it is a low amp draw piece of equipment and you're not going to get warm wires from low current/low voltage, but its still good practise to keep short wires where you can

My Icom 440 remote handpiece is mounted on the dash where the ermergency flasher button was, the flasher button was moved to a hole that was not being used on the lhs of the dash. Main head unit is mounted under the drivers seat.

hi guys

if anyone else has a d40 or im guessin a d22 would be close enough to the same and doesnt have a bullbar and wants another alternative to a mount for the aerial.
I drilled into my rear bumper, the chrome part and have it as far outside the line of the rear lights as possible before the bumper rounds down. its out of the way and doesnt foul up on overgrown scrub as some bullbar mounts do. i will try to get some pix up if anyone is interested in doin the same. also u can run the cable up through the chasis rail and behind the rear seat at the bottom there is a small rubber grommet u can remove drill out and place the cable through making it water tight and factory looking. I also chose this route for my cable because i have 2 gauge wire running to my amp under my seat for my sub and didnt want to go through that mission of another wire through the firewall( lots of new swear words made up that day).

Since trees and scrub bashing weren't an issue to me I mounted my CB stick on the left hand front guard bolt next to the bonnet hinge. I bent up an aluminum bracket to fit the contour of the panel so that it fit's perfectly between the two and doesn't rub on the body or the bonnet.

I also haven't got a 15 foot stick that looks more at place on a surf beach either but running the cable was easy considering it dropped through the firewall directly below the mount

Hi,

For a permanent power supply I used the horn Fuse. I soldered the UHF power wire to the outlet wire on the horn, so the horn fuse works as a fuse for the radio

John

That obviously works but wouldn't it have just been easy to run a live wire and put a fuse in line than going to the trouble finding the horn wire and soldering it in?

Not criticising because I like inventiveness just thinking it's gotta be a lot more stuffing around that way.

Personally speaking, I'd rather tap into the cig lighter than the horn. If the radio decided to overload and take the fuse out, I'd have lost the ability to light cigarettes, whereas you'd have lost the ability to announce to everyone else that there's an idiot in front of you.

I ended up installing mine in that little tray above the radio. I removed it and drilled 4 holes for the bracket and then made little notches in the back lip of the tray to place the wires through so they run under the tray and I can still install the tray as a factory looking item.

It looks good and is solid as so i am very happy with it.

this might help

straight to the battery as you dont need to have the keys in the car to use it

as it is somewhat of a safety/emergency thing at times you'd want to be able to use it even if the car is dead (main fuses blow or key snapped in barrel with no spare, etc)

I placed mine down below the center consol in front of the gear stick, there its out of the way and easy to remove n disconnect.
Just made 2 chrome door stoppers out of bunnings, cut them to lenght and sloped them so the radio bracket sat at a slight angle as to ease the removel of radio.

Got my power from cig lighter beside it, but maddogrc has a good point about going to the battery for power, and since your going to be running ur arial out to the front might as well run power out too.

drifter-albums-d40-navara-picture470-25042010-001.jpg

drifter-albums-d40-navara-picture471-25042010.jpg

Before I even got my Nav I was looking at putting the CB in that spot, then came the screen for the camera and I changed my plan.

Looks like you've done a pretty neat job of the mounting there, is the unit screwed into the console.

I played around with different options for my screen mount there but decided it was too much stuffing around to pull that part of the console out. In the end I manufactured some stainless steel and bent it to match the curve of the plastic above and since the head unit was out at the time I was able to easily make holes in the plastic and use nuts and bolts to hold the bracket on. There was plenty of hand room there with most of it removed too so I got several nuts and bolts in there and the bracket doesn't vibrate which is a bonus.

Latest posts

Back