patrol turbo ???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridge888

Reaction score
Hey everyone ive been doing a bit of research into turbos for a zd30 in my research i found that a zd30 patrol turbo looks bigger then the navara turbo is this true from what i could see all the manifolds looked the same bar the rear exhaust was wondering if anyone has any experience with a turbo conversion like can u just buy a patrol dump pipe and it will fit. Also what about oil lines and everything else ??? just a suggestion if anybody can help ????

Variable-Nozzle Turbine, few things i've read on patrols, people seem to like to upgrade away from this type of turbo. they seem to get over boost problems with them.

I have booked in for the upgrade in a few weeks time will post before & after dyno sheets.

Check out there web site http://www.mikevineturbochargers.com.au/index.html
there is a lot of info on his web site, & Dyno sheets, booked in 1st week of July, as part of the fitting they run a before & after Dyno, I will post the results
Increase as stated 56% torque & 36% horsepower,
power and torque increases of 40%-50% above standard at the driving wheels.With the ideal size turbo used boost begins at 1000RPM or less and reaches Wastegate control maximum boost as low as 1800RPM
To give the best engine life and reliability our conversions include a coolant loss alarm, an overboost safety valve, an oil cooler in the turbo supply line and a major engine tune up with Dyno measurements before and after.
For engines with electronically controlled mechanical fuel injection pumps an electronic interceptor is required to give best tune and power.

patrol turbo is a variable turbo. also they use a different exhaust manifold.
you could use a dawes valve to run the actuator on the turbo.

but the turbo's are not known to be overly reliable, tho the later ones are meant to be better. most of the patrol problems is the poor control of the turbo and egr system.

Thread revive.

So has anyone gotten this setup working?

From my understanding, you don't require the GU patrol ecu or MAF, the Garret VNT can be controlled by a Dawes or Tillix setup.

The main question I have, is will it be a better turbo with more usable power over the whole rev range?

Pros/Cons?

Just buy any Garrett VNT. Something like a 2056 or 2260 would be a good size for a 3L and run a positive pressure actuator to control the vanes. Don't buy into this dawes or tillix valve crap they are just bandaids for a flawed system. (Vacuum operated actuators)

Mine starts opening the vanes at 8psi and it makes 25psi at max boost. Starts boosting at 1200rpm and pulls right the way through to 400rpm.

You will need to make your own manifold and dump pipe and then pay someone to tune it but it will be an animal to drive

there is a crowd that makes a boost pressure control actuator for vnt. trouble is its to slow to control the turbo properly and they have all sorts of issues with them. i suspect the problem is its needs a certain about of force to move the vanes and at low boost theres not enough pressure to do it quickly enough.
with the vac system it can apply full vacuum at any time so it doesn't have that issue.
the electric motor controlled actuators are best. there might be aftermarket controllers for them now. theres a few around who have made home made versions of them.

Im currently playing around with a controller and a hella actuator. Its slow progress doing R&D but I have written a few maps now. Will be doing testing once the new turbo is built

Latest posts

Back