NP300 First Impressions?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the car, which is why I bought it but some of the issues with it would have been easily resolved at not much extra cost. I am bewildered as to why they would re-design a car that has a very strong following with the possibility to be the leader of the pack but put very little effort into the finer things. It's these things that separate the men from the boys.
Nissan's R&D team might need a kick up the ass, but at the end of the day, the buyers are the ones who have the final say and the sales figures will reflect accordingly.
Perhaps Nissan could of mailed a survey out to all previous years D40 owners asking what they would like improved if they were to update in the comming year. Toyota did this with the Hilux, might of ironed out some of the niggly issue's.

Not sure if it's the same or not on the D23 as I haven't looked yet but on the D40 you could add an after market lock actulater to the tailgate and run the wires into the cab and join into the central locking brain inside the driverside kick panel and then hey presto central locking on the tail gate.

If you have central locking on the hard cover you may be able to tee into that feed to control the tail gate once a actulator is installed.

Not sure if it's the same or not on the D23 as I haven't looked yet but on the D40 you could add an after market lock actulater to the tailgate and run the wires into the cab and join into the central locking brain inside the driverside kick panel and then hey presto central locking on the tail gate.

If you have central locking on the hard cover you may be able to tee into that feed to control the tail gate once a actulator is installed.

You are right, we can all aftermarket stuff to these cars but its the small niceties that makes the car special and make you want to talk about it to others. Thats what gets the sales figures up. But how do you aftermarket the trip computer with its unbelievably bad fuel/economy monitoring, how many holes do you need to drill into the firewall to fit all the aftermarket improvements. This is where Nissan needed to spend part of their acclaimed 1 million km testing but missed the mark completely, lets not even mention the very shonky child restraints.

Nissan Australia called me back about the feedback I sent, apparently ambient temp display is high on the agenda for the next firmware update.

They haven't had any feedback about digital speed display in the ST-X gauge display, so please send them feedback requesting it!

A friend of mine got 4 for his business. 2 of them had to go back for bad body vibration any one experience anything like that

A friend of mine got 4 for his business. 2 of them had to go back for bad body vibration any one experience anything like that

Fotunately i have not experienced this, hopefully its just a tyre balance or something as simple as that.

I like it when i fill mine up and the trip computer tells me 940k's to empty, what an absolute load of shit! Lucky to do 720k's per tank. Monday to Friday to and from work. 37 k's each way and all highway driving. Maybe once or twice to the shops. Bullbar and side steps no weight in the back at all.

To be honest i think it is pretty average truck.

Here are my thoughts after 11,500k's

1. The steering is garbage.
2.The stereo and speakers on a $50K truck are average.
3.3 warning lights that come for low fuel, really? Or most any fault.
4.Fuel economy is average at best.
5.The non adjusting steering for reach, what were they thinking?
6. No real room under the bonnet for a secondary battery.
7.Open the car door put the key in, it beeps at you and tells you to take the key out?
8.The amount of money you have to spend to get it set up on top of your initial outlay.
9. How low and setback the little compartment is near the gear stick, not able to rest your arm.
10.No grab rail on the drivers side, awkward to get into.

So yes I'm not overly happy with it. Spending the sort of money on this truck it could be way better.

Last edited:
It is funny about the ranger, it probably is the best ute on the market on paper but actually drivingit, it was not that impressive. We bought the Nissan based on how better it felt while driving compared to the ranger. I reckon it all depends on what your looking for in a ute and by the one that ticks those specific criteria. The Nissan might have ticked my boxes but it still has some basic issues that shouldn't be issues?
But that is the game isnt it.

Agreed, on paper, Ranger is the goods. In reality, typical poor execution by Ford. Wildtrak is pretty crap value for money at $60+k.

So what are you NP300 owners getting in terms of fuel economy?, ignoring what it tells you. My old tug is just under 3 tonne now with bigger tyres I still return just under 10ltrs/100 towing my work trailer around 900kgs unladen. Is the Nissan quoted economy achievable?. I guess the tare is just over 2tonne stock.

Still that's ok, you will find when it runs in a little more the fuel usage will improve as well as under your right boot. I cannot see around 6ltrs possible no matter how you drive, anything under the 10's is good for a 2 tonne brick.

Can they update the current systems in the ute to show Outside Temp and Digital Speedo?
If so, seems odd they wouldn't have it done in the first place.

I owned a 2014 Ranger PX1 XLT, fantastic truck. Couldn't fault it actually. Sold it to get my Jeep Wrangler so I could go off road more. Funny I'm now getting another Dual Cab haha. I'm pretty happy with the Navara Test Drives, goes very well. I decided on the Navara over the Ranger due to the Coil Suspension and 1% Finance.

Can they update the current systems in the ute to show Outside Temp and Digital Speedo?

As for the ambient temp gauge, the entertainment module already has a preset in it for changing ambient temp from Deg C to Deg F but looks as though it doesn't have the hardware for it to give us a reading.

The digital speedo shouldn't be a difficult upgrade if they could be bothered. Will need to adjust the input signal to both an analogue and digital signals and re-program the centre dash screen for this to appear in conjunction with the current speedo. I very much doubt this would happen though.

As for the ambient temp gauge, the entertainment module already has a preset in it for changing ambient temp from Deg C to Deg F but looks as though it doesn't have the hardware for it to give us a reading.

The digital speedo shouldn't be a difficult upgrade if they could be bothered. Will need to adjust the input signal to both an analogue and digital signals and re-program the centre dash screen for this to appear in conjunction with the current speedo. I very much doubt this would happen though.

I got a bluetooth OBD gauge shows the speed.
So no signal output would need to be changed just a re-program of the cluster display.

Maybe they misread the market, I for one love gadgets and menu screens to flick through, the more information and buttons the better.
I suppose Nissan thought that generally tradesmen (majority of market) prefer a simple on / off switch and leave the rest off to make it simpler for us to comprehend. I think they got it wrong.

Maybe they misread the market, I for one love gadgets and menu screens to flick through, the more information and buttons the better.
I suppose Nissan thought that generally tradesmen (majority of market) prefer a simple on / off switch and leave the rest off to make it simpler for us to comprehend. I think they got it wrong.

The way they are marketing this vehicle.. I agree.

Latest posts

Back