Somethings crapped out.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

09 STR

Reaction score
So today went for a short drive and noticed the nav seemed a bit sluggy. Then much more noticably sluggy . To the point that going up a slight incline at 100 kph wouldn't happen any more. Heaps of black smoke and power just kept on dropping off to the point i thought i wouldn't make the short drive home. Starts up without hesitation and Idle is fine no wierd noises just shit loads of smoke and no power. Smoke smells almost kerosene like.???? Any ideas ??

It's either an open EGR valve or a turbo that's no longer playing the game. Blocking the EGR will reveal which one is which. The 2009 D22 didn't have an EGR flow sensor so blocking it won't cause any engine error codes.

Yeah no warning lights. An engine light came on ages ago and when checked out by my mechanic it was triggered by a egr fault code. Came and went but didn't effect how it drove at all . Might have finally packed it in properly!

Yeah old Tony my first thought was the turbo crapping out. I would have thought the turbo dying would blow white oil smoke not black fuel smoke. It does smell like its overfuelling when its loaded up.

Overfuelling = underairing. It's the same condition - too much fuel for the amount of air being drawn in. White smoke is cause by "so much fuel that it doesn't stand a chance of being combusted" (compared to "so much fuel it is only partly combusted" - black smoke) and again any of the above could cause that, and if you have a MAFS then a faulty one can be added to the mix - had a member from SA whose MAFS had failed and his car blew clouds of white smoke.

get onto ebay and buy a nissan navara d-22 / 2.5 egr blocking plate which costs approx $10 to $15. fit it on the egr valve side of engine [ drivers side ] should only take about 15 minutes to remove the hollow gasket and fit the solid blocking plate. this is a must do mod for all navaras if you want to keep the internal inlet manifold nice and clean plus your engine will not blow heaps of smoke on hard take offs. in your case this mod is tricking the egr valve / ecu to think its still working even though its maybe not.

EGR valve was the problem plated it up and all good. Don't Know if i'm imagining it but it does feel a bit more responsive and less laggy??

EGR valve was the problem plated it up and all good. Don't Know if i'm imagining it but it does feel a bit more responsive and less laggy??
it will be a bit more responsive but no change in max power. turbo is now getting 100% drive not 80%.

Latest posts

Back