eng light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampman

Reaction score
hi ya swampman here have taken standard fuel tank out put long range tank in did 100 ks eng light comes on done this b4 so put standerd tank back in no problems after 2 yrs tried long range again same thing just had injetor pump done . any one got any ideas i'v run out my next trick is to fit electric fuel pump any ideas would b great thanks

I'd love to know what code is generated to throw the CEL on.

The fuel tank is pretty simple - two connections to the engine bay, one up top to the filler, plus a couple of wires on the top. When my LR tank was installed, they forgot to plug my fuel level sensor in properly - it did not cause the CEL to come on.

So my guess is either there's a restriction in either the suction or the return lines, because I'm going to assume you haven't allowed water to get in to trigger the water alarm.

But in order to figure it out, knowing the code is important. Is there any way you can get that? A $5 bluetooth ELM327 OBDII adapter and a free piece of Android software can give you the answer, if you don't have a friendly mechanic nearby.

pull the codes.

i suspect its either got a restriction or its sucking in air through a cracked/split pipe.

thanks tony will check for water lines r all good last time it did this it went into limp mode any way i will give it a go and c wat happens

Is there any way you can get that? A $5 bluetooth ELM327 OBDII adapter and a free piece of Android software can give you the answer, if you don't have a friendly mechanic nearby.
you only need a bit if wire to connect the right obd terminals and you can read the flashes. plenty of threads with the instructions.

the other thing i forget,
how full is the tank ?
they may have screwed up and left the fuel pot out.
or have swing doors on the fuel pot that swing to far and block the fuel intake pipe.

If they are full OBDII they might have a fuel tank evaporative controls. I don't know if they did that with these but a lot of OBDII cars (Petrol engines obviously) apply manifold vacuum to the tank via the evaporative emission control gear. full OBDII checks for that vacuum to show that the system is sealed and working. Apparently even leaving the fuel cap loose can make them throw a code.

Not sure if the diesels do something similar via a vac pump?

If they are full OBDII they might have a fuel tank evaporative controls. I don't know if they did that with these but a lot of OBDII cars (Petrol engines obviously) apply manifold vacuum to the tank via the evaporative emission control gear. full OBDII checks for that vacuum to show that the system is sealed and working. Apparently even leaving the fuel cap loose can make them throw a code.

Not sure if the diesels do something similar via a vac pump?

diesel don't fume like petrols do. so no evap system. usually just a valve on the tank breather line.

also they are not OBD, they use nissan consult. need to check the reader will work with it.

Sorry if this sounds silly.

Was long range tank new? How clean was it? It can really be hard to see dust and so on and it doesn't take much to bring the engine light on this way, have seen it happen.

i cleaned tank b4 fitting but it did it from new .someone suggested it may b suckin air or split hose or pipe but used same hose and have put hose clamps on fittings . wen i had this problem b4 i put standard back in no problems got me lost will look at water trap tomorrow

you only need a bit if wire to connect the right obd terminals and you can read the flashes. plenty of threads with the instructions.

the other thing i forget,
how full is the tank ?
they may have screwed up and left the fuel pot out.
or have swing doors on the fuel pot that swing to far and block the fuel intake pipe.

hi tweake checked fuel pot all good no restrictions there

i cleaned tank b4 fitting but it did it from new .someone suggested it may b suckin air or split hose or pipe but used same hose and have put hose clamps on fittings . wen i had this problem b4 i put standard back in no problems got me lost will look at water trap tomorrow

Fair enough, unlikely to be the problem if it happened from new. See what codes it's throwing.

I damaged a tank offroad once and it started weeping. Instead of welding it I put in a s/h tank. Looked like new but I gave it a clean before installation. It did what you describe. Took it out and cleaned it again. Same thing. Looking at the codes was no help because it threw just about every code there was lol.

From memory (was a while ago) and blowing things out with compressed air I found a bit of rubbish in the intake thingy (lol) and pipes that are in the tank. With a clean cotton cloth also I found it was little bit discolored when when I wiped it, no matter what I did, although it looked clean. Not a lot, but must have been enough rubbish in it to cause restriction.

Was a bit of a process to clean it properly, but after I did (and then changed the filter) it was all good. Had a similar thing happen once after getting a bad batch of fuel, only it was far more obvious.

Does the fuel system hold pressure? How many pumps does it take at the bleeder pump before it's solid? Nothing kinked, or anything like that?

hi tweake checked fuel pot all good no restrictions there

can you take a pic of whats in the tank ?
also pay to grab a tape measure and check the depth of the tank compared to the depth of the fuel pipes.

does the tank use its own internal fuel pipes or do you fit the nissan fuel pipes and level sensors to the tank ?

When I put a long range tank in mine I had to use the original sender/pickup assembly from the factory tank. If the tank is not the correct height the pickup tube may be getting closed off on the bottom of the tank as tweake described. Not sure what year your d22 in, but my 2010 had a little green plastic spring loaded thing on the end of the pickup tube that sits right on the bottom of the tank. If that is pushed too far closed it may be restricting fuel to the lift pump.

Sent from my 5042G using Tapatalk

can you take a pic of whats in the tank ?
also pay to grab a tape measure and check the depth of the tank compared to the depth of the fuel pipes.

does the tank use its own internal fuel pipes or do you fit the nissan fuel pipes and level sensors to the tank ?

i have discovered that the stn tank for the d22 diesel has plastic pipes running on the inside of the tank with wat looks like sensors that r attached to top of the tank the long range tank does not. i have a sneaky feelin this is the problem do u have any idea wat theses pipes and sensors may b thanks i cant find any info on the internet

When I put a long range tank in mine I had to use the original sender/pickup assembly from the factory tank. If the tank is not the correct height the pickup tube may be getting closed off on the bottom of the tank as tweake described. Not sure what year your d22 in, but my 2010 had a little green plastic spring loaded thing on the end of the pickup tube that sits right on the bottom of the tank. If that is pushed too far closed it may be restricting fuel to the lift pump.

Sent from my 5042G using Tapatalk

have checked fuel pick up all ok have 2006 model and also has little green plastic thingy at the bottom it has quite a large opening so blockage wont b a problem wat r the pipes and looks like sensors running along the inside top of the original tank any ideas

Fair enough, unlikely to be the problem if it happened from new. See what codes it's throwing.

I damaged a tank offroad once and it started weeping. Instead of welding it I put in a s/h tank. Looked like new but I gave it a clean before installation. It did what you describe. Took it out and cleaned it again. Same thing. Looking at the codes was no help because it threw just about every code there was lol.

From memory (was a while ago) and blowing things out with compressed air I found a bit of rubbish in the intake thingy (lol) and pipes that are in the tank. With a clean cotton cloth also I found it was little bit discolored when when I wiped it, no matter what I did, although it looked clean. Not a lot, but must have been enough rubbish in it to cause restriction.

Was a bit of a process to clean it properly, but after I did (and then changed the filter) it was all good. Had a similar thing happen once after getting a bad batch of fuel, only it was far more obvious.

Does the fuel system hold pressure? How many pumps does it take at the bleeder pump before it's solid? Nothing kinked, or anything like that?

yeah fuel system good new filter if i put original tank back in ni problems i just cant work it out bloody car got a mind of its own

have checked fuel pick up all ok have 2006 model and also has little green plastic thingy at the bottom it has quite a large opening so blockage wont b a problem wat r the pipes and looks like sensors running along the inside top of the original tank any ideas

Sorry mate, can't say I noticed any lines inside my factory tank. I still have it at home so will have a look inside it and see... I fitted my long range myself and didn't have any issues....

Last edited:
Yes, think I know the lines you speak of. Black polythene looking pipes running inside the tank. Will see if I can find more about them as I'm not sure what they do either.

ps. After a quick look it seems to be something to do with fuel return system? At any rate the internal piping joins to the small pipe at the top of the tank itself, the one on it's own (only way to really know would be to follow that pipe and see where it goes). Mine originally had a small inline filter on it. Guessing it was an original Nissan thing, there is a bracket on the side of the tank itself for the filter to clip onto (I left mine off). The "sensor" inside of the tank could be a check valve or something? Can't find anything in the manual about it.

the line with the small "filter" is the breather line. the "filter" is a valve.
possible the breather line connects to a line in the tank to reduce the chance of fuel going out the breather line when the tank is full.

Latest posts

Back