Engine fault code P1272

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwayne

Reaction score
i recently had a rear locker put in and on my first trip down the beach whilst blasting up a hill i found my car had went into limp mode. i didnt know if it was a mistake made on the install of the locker or if it was just a coincidence. however i turned the car on and off and each time the car returned to normal but when boosting up a big sandy hill it went back into limp mode again. using my scangauge i checked and the code was P1272. I cleared the code and headed home. just wanted some advice or tips on what the problem is and maybe any fixes?

According to scanguage P1272 is a generic powertrain code for
P1272 Cylinder #2 High To Low Side Open

There is a few responses to a Google search for such an error which may give you some indication of what scangauge was reporting until someone else comes along who can probably explain it better than me.(which isn't very well so there is not much to live up too).

p1272 is fuel pump. most likely fuel pressure sensor. (assuming you reading nissan codes, otherwise refer to your code readers manual)

thanks guys. looks like i may be takin her to the shop. due for a service anyway, cheers

p1272
fuel rail pressure sensor
in a nut shell you were giveing it some and the fuel pressure spiked in the rail above the safe zone so the computer said open the flood gates and get the fuel out (at the back of the rail is the presure release valve) and at the same time the computer said lets go to safe mode to save any further damage
give the earth beside the ecu a clean it is the main earth for all the fuel stuff when you clean it spread the little legs and check its not starting to rot out behind the solider were you cant see it
and carry out a fuel relearn
and your problems should go away unless you have a more sinister problem

you cant just buy the sensor either you have to buy a whole rail and 4 times new injector pipes
but defintly look at the earth
and do the relearn and you should be fine

Last edited:
According to my D40 Manuel, P1272 means the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail is open and is venting fuel back to the tank (refer page 1234 of 1340 in EC.pdf).

There could be a number of things causing the problem:

1) Harness or connectors (Fuel pump circuit is open or shorted.)
2) Fuel pump
3) Fuel rail pressure sensor
4) Air mixed with fuel
5) Lack of fuel

If you're going up a really steep and rough hill, I suppose it's possible for air to get into the fuel pickup - although you'd have to be shaken violently, almost as bad as the main street of Dungog NSW (that's the Nationally approved teeth self-extraction road).

I'd guess that it isn't 1) because it resets after shutting the car down. I hope you've got warranty if it's 2). Cause 3) shouldn't cost too much to repair.

Have you run out of fuel recently?

nope definitely not run out of fuel. i have just had a locker and compressor installed. im not sure if they have hooked up any switches or anything requiring them to use the earth ralphn talked about. maybe they moved something im not sure. the car is still under warranty. i also run a "morepower" chip. not sure if this could be adding to the problem. it just seems odd that it was the first timre out after having the diff lock and compressor installed that this happened...

Some of those chips increase fuel rail pressure in order to make more fuel squirt in for the same duration of nozzle opening.

That could be the culprit too. I'd bet Nissan would point straight at it and hand you the keys back. Might be an idea to remove it, try replicating the problem and if it goes away, have a chat to the chip maker.

Another vote for the chip being the culprit. What have you got it set on? Try winding it back 1 position.

i have had the chip for over 6 months now though and not had a problem. i will take it out before going to nissan. thats definitely a good idea. the chip isnt adjustable, its just a plug in and away you go job. i might give the bloke a ring tomorrow. thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated

Latest posts

Back