Blown Engine (gasket)?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustPez

Reaction score
Hey fellas need thoughts got an 07 D40 with 225,000 on the clock. Was on my way up to Double Island for the weekend but I've died on the highway. Was speeding up from 100-110 engine lost some power felt wierd, pulled over and as i slowed down I could feel a piston/crankshaft? noticeably dont know how you describe it but like its out of sync. when I stopped smoke came out the right hand side of the bonnet. Hadn't heard any noise from the timing chain prior to this either. Any thoughts on what could have happened and how much this might cost to fix? Just waiting for a tow truck now. . Great startto the holidays.

Smoke means something's let go, but it might just be a coolant hose, or the fuel pump or fuel return is leaking. Fuel pump leak would generate what LOOKS like smoke given the pressure the fuel is under but SHOULD throw an error code, but would also explain the loss of power.

Mechanic is best positioned to advise you at the moment, since you can't inspect the car.

Cheers Tony
Went and spoke to him today we had a look at it. Radiator was still full as was the oil but somethings definitely off interally. Timing chain is also fine by the sounds of it. Won't really know what's up until he opens it up but its not lookin good I'd say.

Spoke to the mechanic today apparently the Injector on cylinder 2 was blown out of its seating and cylinder 3 nearly did the same. He's fixed that problem but is suspicious that there may be a deeper problem that will cause it to happen again down the track. Not sure if anyone else has had the same issue, i'll take off my EGR blanking plate as I heard it can lead to higher combustion temps to hopefully lower any stress on the engine but apart from that I have no ideas.

Does not the EGR Blank LOWER combustion temps as it is a more full burn? I thought I read having the EGR Promotes HIGHER Combustion Temps and thus burns off the unwanted NOx - so by that logic removing it will again bring back higher temps...

You're probably right, any ideas on what could cause the Injectors to pop out of their seating? I had just fueled up about 3km's prior so perhaps it was bad fuel and would be worth calling the Servo to see if they had a bad batch?

Unblocking the EGR is unlikely to make any difference, I would absolutely suspect bad fuel, it's almost a no-brainer if your problem occurred soon after filling up. I would drain the fuel tank completely into a drum, leave it to settle for a bit then have a look, refuel with new clean fuel.

Does not the EGR Blank LOWER combustion temps as it is a more full burn? I thought I read having the EGR Promotes HIGHER Combustion Temps and thus burns off the unwanted NOx - so by that logic removing it will again bring back higher temps...

EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". Basically, exhaust is pumped back into the intake.

The goal is to replace some of the oxygen (air) in the combustion chamber with exhaust gas. Exhaust gas is effectively inert - it won't burn and it won't promote burning.

Because PART of your combustion chamber gas has been replaced by this inert, non-reactive gas, the combustion that takes place is never (and cannot be) complete. Because not ALL of the injected fuel was burned, temperatures don't rise as high as they could have. Because NOx is only produced at high temps, and now the combustion temp is being restrained, NOx production is reduced.

as Kernels said, it could be bad fuel. Last delivery to the site the tanker driver may have dropped in ULP instead of DL. Suggest you pull some fuel out of the tank and smell it. You can smell ULP in DL fairly distinctly.If so go back to the Service station and lodge a claim. The Suppliers will be obliged to pay for your repairs if the drivers has mixed the fuel.

Back