Rising economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wozzah

Reaction score
On labour weekend towed the van on a 600k round trip using 10.6 l/100 k. Just got back from a 700k trip to the same area 16.7 l/100k. And the engine light came on when we got home. Any ideas what the problem might be? Oh it's a v6 stx. Thanks Wozzah

hey wozzah

has the light cleared or is it still on
when was it serviced last
did it seem sluggish

That's a dramatic increase in fuel consumption. If it weren't heading for a service I'd ask what the code was behind the CEL, but if Nissan are going to see it, there's not a lot of point. Could be a bunch of things that increase consumption - air filter, failing turbo actuator (or turbo), intercooler damage - there's a long list of possibilities. A starting point would be the code behind the CEL, and observations about smoke while accelerating, idle manners, throttle response and drive smoothness.

What size van and tare?,16lph at highway speed for a 2tonne van would be normal how you managed to get it into the 10's towing a van is surprising most get around that unladen.

Given the CEL I'd suggest Nissan can pay attention to it. Ordinarily they'd tell you to suck it up where poor economy is concerned, but with the CEL present they'll fix that and hopefully whatever is bringing the CEL on is what's causing your poor economy.

If not - and the CEL is gone, service done and you're still getting poor economy, we'll start talking about what might be.

I know the V6 TD is an awesome engine, develops its torque nice and low (the lower the peak torque, the better the economy on the highway). However, reports from others towing on the heavy side (on flat-ish terrain, admittedly) are that they're getting 12-13LPHK. 16s are a little high, unless you're talking mountainous regions, lots of small hills with winding corners or the Great Ocean Road which I'm only ever going to do one more time in my life since it's little more than a bloody car park during summer!

Latest posts

Back