Annoying boost issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGD22

Reaction score
Alright, so as the title suggests i have a boost issue, most common symptom is that the boost fluctuates between 10 and 15 psi when going at 2500rpm pretty rapidly aswell, sometimes the boost will hold at just 10 for a couple seconds then instant 15 psi and you can feel it. My guess is turbo is f'ed but just got a job and saving for something else, so if its no biggy i might leave it. Engine is zd30 have done swirl mod and egr block, Vacuum lines are pretty new aswell. Please help guys!

Also i have tried looking for this problem on the forum but cant seem to find anything in the search.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I looked for boost leak before but couldn't find anything, i installed an egt probe on the egr port, couldnit be not sealing properly?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Any strange noises?

Is the hose to the pressure sensor ok, not kinked, blocked, cracked or anything? Is the sensor plug seated alright? Could be worth trying a bit of contact cleaner. A bit of a long shot. I didn't plug mine back in properly once after doing a bit of work on it, struggled to reach 10psi then it would come good occasionally. It was making intermittent contact, plugged it back in properly and all good lol.

If it is a cactus turbo causing this, the impeller is probably hitting the housing causing the fluctuations. If so, it's not a good to drive it. If those little fins decide to break, they are going to go straight into the intake/motor.

It might be worth taking the front off the turbo and having a look, move the impeller around and check how much play there is.

Ill have to check to the sensor hose tomorrow, it has a a boost t so ill just bypass it to test it and see if the connections ok.

I checked the turbo play when i pulled the manifold off to install the pyro sensor on the egr port and it seemed ok, the thing is i didnt have the problem before that.

Sounds more like the neutral position switch, have you tried unplugging that to see if it helps? Also, try holding the gear stick over to the left and see if it stops it happening. Apparently that can indicate a failing switch...

http://imgur.com/a/IKWV3av heres a link to me wingling my turbo, is it too much play? I checked the air sensor and its connected well.

Was driving home from bunnings and tried moving grlear stick to the left and didnt notice the issue, might have to try buying a new switch

The best way to try the neutral position switch is to disconnect it. I disconnected mine years ago after it played up, not worth the trouble of replacing it IMO as I never use the heat/high idle switch anyway.

Good suggestion from bods. Now that you say it's only happening in 3rd and 4th, that's exactly the symptoms of a crook np switch.

Had a quick look, it appears to be the 2nd switch starting from front and moving back, one closest to and slightly in front where gearshift goes through to the cabin.

If you disconnect it your problem will probably go away.

http://imgur.com/a/IKWV3av heres a link to me wingling my turbo, is it too much play? I checked the air sensor and its connected well.

It's difficult to tell without doing the wobbling, looks about normal though, they all wobble a bit. Only one I have seen that was cactus, the only thing stopping it moving was when it was up against the housing. It was also making a bit of a screech at times during use.

It's more than likely the np switch.

Good news! Np switch was the suspect, appreciate letting me know where it was Horatius, it was making me frustrated since its been happening for about two months. Lucky the heater in mine has shit itself aswell otherwise its no use to me

Good to hear mate. It's common for the np switch to go in these, bods nailed it. The heat switch is something you're unlikely to need in Qld anyway lol.

Latest posts

Back