Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Cracked piston ZD30 engine - 2004 Navara D22 STR 3.0 litre Diesel
  #1  
Old 08-10-2019, 03:04 PM
ByabarraNavara ByabarraNavara is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Byabarra
Posts: 8
Default Cracked piston ZD30 engine - 2004 Navara D22 STR 3.0 litre Diesel

Hi, my 2004 D22 STR 3 litre Di ZD30 motor with 332000Kms blew a piston last week. I've received quotes up to $7000 for a full engine rebuild plus clutch worse case scenario. This is too much money and as a struggling farmer during drought times this money could be better spent on fixing fences, water, and keeping our livestock alive. So what is the thing to do? We had the turbo replaced in 2018 because it died. the year before that the injector pump. The injectors were rebuilt in 2017. The radiator was taken out and cleaned in 2019 to keep the temps down. The EGR pipe cracked and was replaced in 2018. The flexi exhaust pipe was replaced in 2018. The inner and outer boots were replaced in 2018. Now we discovered the front wheel bearings are cactus. How much more do you throw at a ZD30 motor when they seem to be notorious for failing at almost every level of the engine? But we've sunk so much money into it we'd get nothing for a trade-in, $500 from the wrecker who'd make a lot of money on parts wrecking it. What is the cost of an engine rebuild and how kms will they go for after that? What's involved in a rebuild? Can I do it myself? What tools do I need? What about a rebuilt motor or a low kms 2nd hand engine? The Navara Zd30 seems to be a black hole for money. What is a better, more reliable, durable and robust 4x4? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, ByabarraNavara
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM
tweak'e's Avatar
tweak'e tweak'e is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,564
Garage
Default

at 300,000km's+ that sounds typical for any decent make.
turbo's need rebuilds, the rest are fairly typical wear items. i've replaced wheel bearings at far lower km's.
the egr pipe unfortunately seams to be a issue with them, however i've seen many other brands with the same failure. a cast to stainless steel tube weld is hard to make it not crack sensitive.
its an old 4wd thats done a lot of km's, its to be expected. all 4wd's at that age and mileage become black holes for money.


what did you replace the turbo with? was the original rebuilt?
if an aftermarket replacement i wonder if its a bit small which can cause piston failure.
__________________
D22 ZD30 egr+butterfly mod, 2" lift extra leaf springs, enk-tek dump pipe, 2.5" exhaust.
D23 no mods.......yet.
single cab workhorse, to muddy to clean
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:37 PM
KevinE KevinE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 385
Default

^^ +1

1. Fourteen years & 300K+ out of a turbo is pretty good IMO.
2. Same with the injectors & pump - 13 years is pretty good IMO.
3. I have a younger car of a different name brand, with half those K's & the radiator is already due for a clean out.
4. EGR pipe & exhaust are normal wear & tear.
5. Your split boots almost certainly contributed to the wheel bearing failures. They should be closely monitored & replaced as necessary, regardless of which 4x4 you drive.
6. Well maintained ZD30's in D22's don't fail very often. You're either unlucky, or the servicing wasn't kept up at some stage.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-10-2019, 05:52 AM
Horatius Horatius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aus
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByabarraNavara View Post
Hi, my 2004 D22 STR 3 litre Di ZD30 motor with 332000Kms blew a piston last week. I've received quotes up to $7000 for a full engine rebuild plus clutch worse case scenario. This is too much money and as a struggling farmer during drought times this money could be better spent on fixing fences, water, and keeping our livestock alive. So what is the thing to do? We had the turbo replaced in 2018 because it died. the year before that the injector pump. The injectors were rebuilt in 2017. The radiator was taken out and cleaned in 2019 to keep the temps down. The EGR pipe cracked and was replaced in 2018. The flexi exhaust pipe was replaced in 2018. The inner and outer boots were replaced in 2018. Now we discovered the front wheel bearings are cactus. How much more do you throw at a ZD30 motor when they seem to be notorious for failing at almost every level of the engine? But we've sunk so much money into it we'd get nothing for a trade-in, $500 from the wrecker who'd make a lot of money on parts wrecking it. What is the cost of an engine rebuild and how kms will they go for after that? What's involved in a rebuild? Can I do it myself? What tools do I need? What about a rebuilt motor or a low kms 2nd hand engine? The Navara Zd30 seems to be a black hole for money. What is a better, more reliable, durable and robust 4x4? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, ByabarraNavara
Lot of this is just normal wear and tear. Though even then, it doesn't seem "typical" for a well maintained D22 and the engines aren't notorious for failing (unless they are in a Patrol).

Things like wheel bearings should be repacked and replaced at certain intervals. If you have got that many kms out of a set, you've done quite well. Rubber boots being changed at this many km's isn't that bad either. Fuel quality and how often the filters are changed makes a difference to longevity.

As to the underlined, that could be the source of your current problems. None of these little diesel engines fare well if they get too hot. If that's happening, there is something very wrong (unless you're towing up a steep hill on a 44 deg. day).

It's not worth getting radiators cleaned, you can buy a brand new quality aftermarket radiator for about the same price as having one cleaned. It would be worth looking at the water pump too and and there can be other problems if it's getting too hot. Every time they clean the scale/build up out of these alloy radiators they aren't going to be as clean as a new one and (assuming it's done properly to begin with) there's always a chance of pinholes/leaks. If the factory gauge indicates overheating that's not good as they seem more a "cracked head/engine failure" indicator anyway.

Obviously none of this helps with your predicament, but there's no cheap way out of it.

A 2nd/h engine won't be cheap (seem to be around $5 thou), and you won't really know what condition it is in. Then you have the cost of getting someone to swap the ancillaries over and install it.

Unless you are very good with tools and have plenty of spare time, wouldn't bother rebuilding it yourself either. It will be cheaper, but perhaps not that much cheaper and there's an awful lot of work to do this. Rebuilt engines can be alright, but never last the way originals do.

When original parts start going any time after 300,000kms, that's not really that bad for any vehicle. The cost of repairs might be worth more than the vehicle itself in this instance, so it might be better to cut your losses rather than fixing it.

Last edited by Horatius; 11-10-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-10-2019, 12:53 PM
ben85's Avatar
ben85 ben85 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,248
Default

For someone in the trade who can diy everything its worth fixing, to pay someone else... how much can you buy another vehicle the same for? I think it will cost more to repair than replace.
__________________
2002 D22 Navara ZD30 Lifted and Locked on 33's.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Boogieboots's Avatar
Boogieboots Boogieboots is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Byford WA
Posts: 274
My Mood:
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben85 View Post
For someone in the trade who can diy everything its worth fixing, to pay someone else... how much can you buy another vehicle the same for? I think it will cost more to repair than replace.
Indeed but how reliable will a 7k car be? The engine will be the most expensive part and rebuilt should give a ton more ks. However at this point inj pump is getting old too...🤔
__________________
2005 d22 Dual Cab ZD30, 280k and counting....
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Horatius Horatius is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Aus
Posts: 185
Default

They have a reasonably new injector pump, turbo and rebuilt injectors on the old one. So 7 thou for a rebuild (with clutch) sounds reasonable. That depends on the quality of the rebuild though. Probably the cheapest way out of it but still seems a lot of money to throw at something that age.
Reply With Quote

Zd30 Turbo rebuild
  #8  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 PM
ByabarraNavara ByabarraNavara is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Byabarra
Posts: 8
Default Zd30 Turbo rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
what did you replace the turbo with? was the original rebuilt?
if an aftermarket replacement i wonder if its a bit small which can cause piston failure.
G'day and thanks for your reply. The rebuilt turbo was not from our car. It was a genuine Navara rebuilt by a shop that specialises in turbo rebuilds based in Coffs Harbour. So I'm assuming it was the right size. I'll check with the mechanic on Monday.

At 332,000 KMs, if we go for an engine rebuild what else is likely to go wrong with a 4x4 of this age? When the mechanic replaced the injector pump it was a rebuild he did at his workshop at Wauchope NSW. Same for injectors. That's his specialty. He also took the fuel tank out and cleaned and cleaned all the fuel lines.

I read many ZD30 diesel owners put in EGR blanking plates, oil catch cans, exhaust temperature sensors and turbo timers. This seems to be a lot of after market extras as insurance or for failures. Is this worth it? Are there other low cost mods that we can do to help indicate impending problems and preserve the rebuilt engine?
Reply With Quote

Injector Pump Rebuild
  #9  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 PM
ByabarraNavara ByabarraNavara is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Byabarra
Posts: 8
Default Injector Pump Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieboots View Post
Indeed but how reliable will a 7k car be? The engine will be the most expensive part and rebuilt should give a ton more ks. However at this point inj pump is getting old too...🤔
G'day and thanks for your question. The injector pump was a rebuild it wouldn't have done more than 5,000kms.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 12-10-2019, 12:41 AM
tweak'e's Avatar
tweak'e tweak'e is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,564
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByabarraNavara View Post
G'day and thanks for your reply. The rebuilt turbo was not from our car. It was a genuine Navara rebuilt by a shop that specialises in turbo rebuilds based in Coffs Harbour. So I'm assuming it was the right size. I'll check with the mechanic on Monday.

At 332,000 KMs, if we go for an engine rebuild what else is likely to go wrong with a 4x4 of this age? When the mechanic replaced the injector pump it was a rebuild he did at his workshop at Wauchope NSW. Same for injectors. That's his specialty. He also took the fuel tank out and cleaned and cleaned all the fuel lines.

I read many ZD30 diesel owners put in EGR blanking plates, oil catch cans, exhaust temperature sensors and turbo timers. This seems to be a lot of after market extras as insurance or for failures. Is this worth it? Are there other low cost mods that we can do to help indicate impending problems and preserve the rebuilt engine?
a genuine turbo rebuilt is fine. its just bearing replacement, so the sizing will be fine.
tho i find blown pistons to be interesting. we cracked the head on one of ours due to broken water pipe and engine overheating.
what can cause blown pistons is poor injectors. the local injection shop here told me they will not rebuild them. they have done it, had issues, put new injectors in and issues where fixed. they only replace with new ones now.

i would take injectors to another crowd to be checked.
there is no point rebuilding if your not why why the pistons failed. eg if its was due to poor injectors then the rebuilt engine will not last long.

to fix or replace?
thats down to your budget and when you have planned to replace the ute. save the 7k and buy a new or low km 2nd hand ute.


what else can go wrong? everything. we just snapped a suspension bolt last week and its only done 250k. we do have one thats over 350k with no mods what so ever. however its clutch is bad. tho it doesn't get much use these days.

its often a case of an evil you know is better than one you do not. however newer utes come with better safety, better economy etc. need to weigh up that option to.
__________________
D22 ZD30 egr+butterfly mod, 2" lift extra leaf springs, enk-tek dump pipe, 2.5" exhaust.
D23 no mods.......yet.
single cab workhorse, to muddy to clean
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
zd30 engine rebuild

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
| Home | Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Today's Posts | Search | New Posts |