Outback trip tyre selection

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
OK guys here goes. I have a set of stock tyres on my 2013 D22, Bridgestone Dueller 693 A/T that have only done 10K. They're in great nick and I'm not overly keen to have to trade them as I won't get any $$$ back. Problem is, I'm planning a Simmo Desert trip, going to Mildura, Flinders Ranges, Oodnadatta, Mt Dare, Simmo, Birdsville, Innaminka, Bourke, Dubbo and back home. My dilemma is, I don't think the Duellers will cope, even though they've only done 10K. I'm on a tight budget and have been thinking to replace them with BFG's or Maxxis A/T's or something like it. I'm kinda thinking at the moment perhaps I should hold on to my stocks and get a set of muddies instead just for the trip. I can get Maxxis MT Bighorns for $250 each which is $100 cheaper than the BFG's. Added benefit is that I keep my stock, so when I get back I can swap over again and run them out for another year or so. Might get some steelies and throw the muddies on so I can swap at will. Biggest question, it's a 5000km trip with 600km of sand but also rough rocky terrain on the way in and out. That's why I'm thinking the muddies, although they're not ideal in sand I thought they'd cope still. What I'm after is some advice from those that've been there done that and constructive criticism is welcome.

the tyres fitted from factory are soft and will not last, guaranteed
my opinion.....bfg at's all the way, great tyre in the sand, and mud, and tar

cheers

Thanks Moderator, can you do me a favour and place this in the D22 forum? I made a mistake. Cheers.

the tyres you have will do the job . just make sure you let them down in the sand and take your time . and thats from some one who "has been there done that". you say you are on a tight budget i would be using my money to make sure i was properly prepared for the trip. carnt think why you would be wanting muddies out there. which road are you planning to cross the desert on .

I"went some where once and did something", I think :questionmark:
I wouldn't suggest anyone take std factory fitted rubber on a trip across the desert, the sidewalls are too soft for any real durability for a start
its just ridiculous to suggest otherwise

Mate if your on a budget look at hankook dynapros. Cheaper then big name brand but seem to be a good tyre from what ive heard

Sparra im guessing that comment was for me, but old mate did ask for advice from people who had been there done that, so i thort i would let him no of my experience out there on those tyres. not just an opinion. my factory fitted 693s had about 30,000 ks the second time i was there on them . i didnt say thay were the best tyres for the job ,but they did the job for me both times . no punctures. ive seen Mickey Thompson and other big name tyres including bfg,s with sticks and rocks through their sidewalls out there .

Mate if your on a budget look at hankook dynapros. Cheaper then big name brand but seem to be a good tyre from what ive heard

Agree with the Dynapro option, I've had them on for 12months after Maxxis A/Ts and found them as good in the snow and mud as BFG A/T.
Nice square edge and open tread, I went 265/75.

They are. I run a set on my truck and I'm very happy with them. There is the light duty and the L/T version. Of course the L/T is the one to get. For that type of trip I would avoid the Muddies if you can. It's a big trip. Muddies will increase your fuel consumption. Generally are noisier than most A/T's. How much mud do expect to run into on a trip like that? There are few A/T's around including the Hankook AT-M that are reasonably aggressive for a an A/T and perform not to bad in the Mud.

the tyres you have will do the job . just make sure you let them down in the sand and take your time . and thats from some one who "has been there done that". you say you are on a tight budget i would be using my money to make sure i was properly prepared for the trip. carnt think why you would be wanting muddies out there. which road are you planning to cross the desert on .

+1

I'm know very little about tyres, but I've been everywhere the OP asks about (except Dubbo lol!) & with absolutely no offence meant to anyone else that has replied, have to agree with bert.

I'm acutely aware that others have done much more outback travel than I have, but I've also taken a D22 from Windorah to Birdsville, down the Birdsville Track to Marree, the Gibb River Road, across Fitzroy crossing, the Jim Jim Road, the Warri Gate Road, the Dowling Track, the Mereenie Loop, the Old Ghan road, Chambers Pillar, Finke, Mt. Dare, Dalhousie, Oodnadatta Track, Lake Eyre, Strz Track, Painted Desert, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, Lambert's Centre, Gawler Ranges, Brachina Gorge, Glass Gorge, Parachilna Gorge, Warraweena, Moralana..............I'm sure I've forgotten a few lol!

We run stock tyres & have had 2 punctures in that time; the 1st was on the bitumen at Timber Creek NT after driving the Gibb River Road, due to smashed glass on the road. The 2nd was a sharp stone that pierced the tread as we drove into Birdsville; both were fixed by a plug from a "Bushranger" tyre repair kit in less than a minute - We have never had a side wall damaged - ever.

That's just our experience, others may have had different experiences.

( I could bore you to tears with pictures, but...............)

Hi all, I very much appreciate everyone's comments, although I am still a little uncertain what to do, or whether I should really do ANYTHING!? The rub is, it's a new-ish car, 2013, done 10K, 4 off-road trips. THe trip to the Simmo is definite using the stops I've noted in the original post. I have no real concern in getting to the start of the Flinders Ranges from Sydney and getting across the Simmo itself. My concern surrounds the roughness of the rocky roads leading into the Simmo from Oodnadatta and out from Birdsville to Innaminka. Past that to Bourke and Dubbo should be fine. It's a big decision, I'm keen not to have to fork out another set at $1200-odd considering the stock set is still so new. There seems to be a fair bit of conflict between the moderator and those that 'been there done that'. Still undecided. One thing I'm definitely doing in the next week or 2 is a replacement of all shocks to Toughdogs. I know that'll help. So, any more people want to comment? What's the ply-rating of the Dueler? The treads look great, it's the sidewall strength that concerns me somewhat. And by the way, I'm planning on taking 2 spares. Cheers.

My 2c is that stocks will be fine provided you drive easy and adjust pressure when needed. We always back off when the surface gets ruff. Too many peeps just keep hannering on.

FWIW, the cousin jus drives a holden ute from the farm in that area on stock tyres and hasn't had any trouble. His 2c on wet stuff is that no one is going anywhere no matter what tyre they have. Before we have the D22, we pushed a 92 Mazda van into similar areas in NW NSW wihout any problems.

I'd be more worried about having alloy rims, if you need to patch the tyre. I picked up a screw(slow leak) on a state forest road and had to go to the big country town to get the wall patched as the local guy at destination only had the single tyre iron device and was worried about crackng the alloy.

Any sort of light truck tyre for my 2c. LTs have a heavier side-wall and handle the rough roads better than passenger tyres.

Hi all, I very much appreciate everyone's comments, although I am still a little uncertain what to do, or whether I should really do ANYTHING!? The rub is, it's a new-ish car, 2013, done 10K, 4 off-road trips. THe trip to the Simmo is definite using the stops I've noted in the original post. I have no real concern in getting to the start of the Flinders Ranges from Sydney and getting across the Simmo itself. My concern surrounds the roughness of the rocky roads leading into the Simmo from Oodnadatta and out from Birdsville to Innaminka. Past that to Bourke and Dubbo should be fine. It's a big decision, I'm keen not to have to fork out another set at $1200-odd considering the stock set is still so new. There seems to be a fair bit of conflict between the moderator and those that 'been there done that'. Still undecided. One thing I'm definitely doing in the next week or 2 is a replacement of all shocks to Toughdogs. I know that'll help. So, any more people want to comment? What's the ply-rating of the Dueler? The treads look great, it's the sidewall strength that concerns me somewhat. And by the way, I'm planning on taking 2 spares. Cheers.

Sorry for the late reply; The road up from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie is a tad rough, but not too bad really. The roads on the Birdsville side are considerably better. Not sure which way you're going to Bourke from Innamincka, but the roads down to Cameron Corner are all different - The main roads are wide, well graded dirt roads, but ROCKY. The Bore track is a great drive & the road via Epsilon is even better IMO! (a tad sandy in places) both are more narrow (& more challenging) & you are less likely to strike other travellers than the Strzlecki track . Going the other way via Thargo, you'll have 50 something K's of VERY rough dirt going out from Innamincka, then it's all bitumen developmental road once you hit the Qld border (the Noccundra pub is very well worth the detour on this route!). You can head down to Bourke via Hungerford through either Thargo, or Eulo, rather than the bitumen via Charleville, or go down via Charleville & Cunnamulla on the tar, it's up to you. I'd choose going down via Eulo if it was me. You can camp at the back of the Eulo pub (sensational meals!) for $5 per person per night, hot showers & toilets, but no power. On the Dowling track down to Bourke, Ford's Bridge has a pub & public toilets, nothing else.

IMO the biggest thing to get you through OK is to is drop your tyre pressures & drive to the conditions! I run 20 PSI in the front & 26 PSI in the rear on ALL dirt roads. I carry a compressor & a tyre plug kit as well as spare tyres.

I plugged a tyre in Birdsville in May & drove down the Birdsville track with my camper trailer in tow & that tyre on the car - it's still there now & has been towing my work trailer around ever since.

Have a great time & enjoy your trip! :)

Latest posts

Back