Camping heating

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Burner

Reaction score
Hi, so you've got the awning stretched out, the tent up and your feeling the chill, you can't light a fire because of where you are but you could use a little warmth.

What do people do in this situation, gas / electric / diesel heating. I'm interested in some ideas.

Cheers.

Hi, so you've got the awning stretched out, the tent up and your feeling the chill, you can't light a fire because of where you are but you could use a little warmth. What do people do in this situation, gas / electric / diesel heating. I'm interested in some ideas. Cheers.

Just wrap yourself in more blankets
And a beanie!!!!!

Geoff

"GO THE NAV V6's"

Jokes aside you can now get 12volt electric blankets but they do draw a fair bit of current ,if you have the battery capacity and the means to recharge it that may suit the other options are more suited to vans ect.
John

You don't heat a tent, you just sleep in it. Here's what I used to do (motorcycling around the place, sometimes in the snow).

Put a thin space blanket UNDER the air mattress. Put a woolen blanket OVER the air mattress, then your sleeping bag(s) and then a decently backed thermal blanket (it's like silver on one side and made of rip-stop). Don't wear a balaklava, the moisture from your nose will freeze the balaklava to your moustache (personal experience). Beanies are almost vital, as are woolen socks and open-fingered woolen gloves.

If you're feeling really dainty, you can get "pocket warmers" (Rays Outdoors, BCF etc will sell these) and put those in the bed. I did see a 12V heated jacket just earlier today but I can't remember where it was.

If you're hiking, snow-rated boots are great (don't wear them in autumn/spring, it's like you're walking around in a bucket of water - personal experience again).

As for heating a tent: don't. Just use the tent to sleep in. Because of the small air volume, you're compromising your health using any fuel-based heater, and electric heaters are usually crap. I have a 12V ceramic heater and it's garbage. 150W (over 10A) and it couldn't heat enough to be noticed with your hand right in front of it. And yes, I did turn it on.

^ That's one way to do it. The other is to buy a really good mat e.g. exped downmat, and team it up with a bomber sleeping bag - must be down & must have a comfort rating of -5 or better. Also buy a 4 season tent and put a ground sheet under it. If you're still cold then layer up the wool thermals. This all costs a fortune but it works - I've spent nights at -10 comfortably while out hiking in Tassie so qld will be easy.

Hi, thanks for the responses, I won't be heating the tent, I was intersted in some options when sitting under the awning outside, I do have a small patio heater that I take away when I'm in the caravan and I use my old Tangi in the annex (what's a Tangi you ask) but this trip we will be camping it rather than vanning and the patio heater takes up a lot of room, I was looking at some of the butane powered heaters made by Coleman but things like that can be real hit and miss.

Cheers.

I seen 4wd action advertise a Waeco/dometic heater/ cooker. It was a spirit based canister and was put inside a brazier type thing and emitted heat..it was very compact and looked the goods and I was all keen on getting one for fraser island in winter, But the price scared me off.

I seen 4wd action advertise a Waeco/dometic heater/ cooker. It was a spirit based canister and was put inside a brazier type thing and emitted heat..it was very compact and looked the goods and I was all keen on getting one for fraser island in winter, But the price scared me off.
How much do they sell for mate?, sounds good.
John

Hey John, It was around the $250/$300 mark. Its called the waeco Origo 5100.
It was on the 4wd action fraser island dvd. I thought it would be good to sit the camp oven on and also give some heat when required. But for that price I bought a webber babyQ for roasting without a fire, and if its cold I will sit on that and drink rum.......

^ That's a great idea, I would have drawn air in the bottom one and pumped it out the top. I am currently using something like that in my house where I've got the vent opening sitting over the slow combustion heater and the duct aimed at the bedrooms - for 2.4W of power @ 12V I've got wonderful heat distribution.

It's a novel idea and there's a few people that have Ozpigs and the like to cook on, they could adapt those and get similar results.

For those that are interested ... 2.4W @ 12V will last for around 3 days on a halfway decent jump starter pack. It will go for a week on one of those big ones.

Latest posts

Back