2009 STX D40 Alternator problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathaniel

Reaction score
So the other day my alternator seized in my 2009 stx d40 and completely decimated the pully keyway and as a result a peice of steel punctured my radiator. After patching my radiator and replacing the alternator, when i started the vehicle instantly the new alternator began making a rough sound and was sparking and emitting a white smoke with an obvious smell. Thinking that the new alternator was faulty i removed it and sent it back and installed another new alternator, but this one had the exact same problem. It seems as if the alternator is overloading and not releasing charge into the system. Perhaps checking the volts from the alternator comparing with the battery output might be getting warmer to find out what is going on. I am by no means savy with electrical systems so i am clueless to why this is happening, i just want my vehicle back on the road as i dont havr another one. Any ideas... ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've never heard of this before. The alternators in the 2009 D40s were a complete unit - alternator + regulator. Just bolt it in, plug it in and off it goes.

I would check that the leads were put on the alternator correctly. It isn't easy to make a mistake there but still worth checking. The battery MUST be in correctly (positive on vehicle right hand side, negative near radiator) because your ECU should not like the reverse polarity (although I've never tried putting the battery in backwards to find out). Might be worth checking that as well.

Latest posts

Back