D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14.46LPHK is not all that good but there might be two things influencing it. First, if it's a King Cab it's actually not to bad - there should be a software update (that we have never found the internal reference for) that fixes it. Otherwise, if it's driven heavily - it could do it easily. It's 2T+ of genuine brick!

You could try a Liqui Moly injector clean.

Old Tony, what is this software update for the King Cabs you speak of? I have one, and it doesnt had bad fuel economy (I think mid 11's generally) and I drive it medium to hard. But any gains are great - plus it may address the 4Lo surge in 4th gear that the KC have....

please give me more details....

I think the big factor here is the tyer size when i had stock tyers i was getting 9.2/100L getting 720 to the tank then i up it to 32's and it went up to 10/100L dropped to about 680 to a tank now with 33's 10.8/ 100L and maxing out on 600 lol so big difference then stock

Sure, but if those figures come from your odometer on the dash, then you are driving more kms than it indicates because the circumference of the tyres are bigger. Once you change tyre size, you really need a GPS odo to check your fuel consumption.

Sure, but if those figures come from your odometer on the dash, then you are driving more kms than it indicates because the circumference of the tyres are bigger. Once you change tyre size, you really need a GPS odo to check your fuel consumption.
Woud my EDS (engine digital scan ) that plugs into my ecu be accurate even of my tyer size

Nope. The ecu gets its speed reading from the abs sensors. So, as mentioned above, because the bigger tyres travel further each revolution than the factory size, you are actually doing more km than the ecu and dash realise. As above, you need a gps that logs trip distance, or work out what % bigger the new tyres are over the factory ones and adjust your calculations to suit. Obviously if you are trying to use the dash l/100km economy read out, it will not be correct.

Old Tony, what is this software update for the King Cabs you speak of? I have one, and it doesnt had bad fuel economy (I think mid 11's generally) and I drive it medium to hard. But any gains are great - plus it may address the 4Lo surge in 4th gear that the KC have....

please give me more details....

If you have a KC that's getting 11's then the update has either been applied already, or wasn't needed. There were a bunch of people here with KCs that were getting 16s-18s and one who at best - driving to church - could only manage to get it down to 14s.

The software update hasn't been identified, it's been mentioned a few times but we don't know the TSB number so we can't say "ask for this!!" which is a shame, because there are a number of people who have KCs that can't stray too far from a bowser.

Woud my EDS (engine digital scan ) that plugs into my ecu be accurate even of my tyer size

As Bods said, your scan tool just displays the same information that the ECU is sending to the dash, but it's worth checking if it has any settings to adjust your tyre size increase percentage maybe, this would be a useful feature to correct for larger tyres.

What you can do to work it out is calculate the difference in circumference between the old and new tyres, convert that to a percentage, then multiply the kms on your dash by that percentage.

If you give us the size of your old and new tyres we can do that for you...

If you have a KC that's getting 11's then the update has either been applied already, or wasn't needed. There were a bunch of people here with KCs that were getting 16s-18s and one who at best - driving to church - could only manage to get it down to 14s.

The software update hasn't been identified, it's been mentioned a few times but we don't know the TSB number so we can't say "ask for this!!" which is a shame, because there are a number of people who have KCs that can't stray too far from a bowser.

alas, I have always seen people quoting the 10's and below and have wondered if it was my driving style or my vehicle.... it is probably my driving.

Im roughly getting about 9.3/9.4l per 100km on a 2012 st 6spd manual just round town im averaging 650-720km per tank no towing and everything is stock engine wise

176,000 km update.

Ute is as per my signature

still sitting on 8.12 lts per 100, this is measured into the tank, with corrected KM for tyre size, thw speedo reading is 4% low when checked with GPS.

I have been getting this since the tyre change at 135,000 km, cant quite get 1000 km per tank with current driving, I have on trips, but not day to day driving.

HI all ,
I keep reading about this software update for King cabs , but can't find any info about it at all . Don't try Nissan cause they don't give a rats arse once they got your cash . How can we find out what version of software is on the ECU so maybe we can compare what different people are running and pin point the update that way . Will a scan guage tell us or do we need access to a consult machine .
Greg

For my 2008 D40 Dual Cab Auto;

Indicated 54,741km 6974.9 litres equates to 12.8L/100km
Using my phone GPS, speedo 118km = 110km/h GPS, so 0.9322 correction, so overall I'm getting 11.9km/l with nothing to ECU etc...

Not as good as "modern" dual cabs, but I'll take it.

For my 2008 D40 Dual Cab Auto;

Indicated 54,741km 6974.9 litres equates to 12.8L/100km
Using my phone GPS, speedo 118km = 110km/h GPS, so 0.9322 correction, so overall I'm getting 11.9km/l with nothing to ECU etc...

Not as good as "modern" dual cabs, but I'll take it.

So, wouldn't it actually be worse?
Like 12.8L/93.22km or 13.73L/100km :confused3:

Just filled up after running through as much of a tank as I dare. Not very economical driving got me 769.6km. Filled up 77L at the pump into an 80L tank!
10L/100km as worked out on odometer. Not sure if odometer is accurate as my speedo is out. 120km/hr speedo= 110km/hr GPS. Just for info, I pulled into servo 58 odometer kms after low fuel light came on. I had 3 litres left in the tank going off my 77L refill. I have gotten 800kms before 'driving miss daisy'

Latest posts

Back