So many series...What's the difference..?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDSnet

Reaction score
Hi Experts,

I'm a current '98 V6 Rodeo owner. I got it cheap about 6 years ago and it's served it's purpose. Now I need to upgrade and the Navaras look the goods. But I'm a bit stuck on the differences between the series, specifically the D22 vs D40 and the ST-R vs ST-X.

I'm not a big four wheel driver, but I like getting on the beach when I can. So I don't need a hardcore rock climber, just something that will hold it's own in the sand and deal with some fairly basic tracks like at Moreton and Fraser. I also tow a Jayco camper from time to time, that's around 1,700 kgs I think.

Apart from that it'll be on road mostly, and I need to put child restraints in the back.

I've got $15k to spend and it looks like there's anything from 06's through to 2010's dropping into that price bracket, with under 200,000 k's.

So in terms of the series, what should I be looking at..? Does it matter..? Are there any particular series or years to avoid..?

Also, I heard through a mate who heard through a mate (sounds reliable already), that they need a timing belt every 80,000 k's. I can't seem to find much to back that up other than a Brisbane company selling after market timing belt kits for Navaras. Not many of the ads I've looked at mention having had the timing belt done, so I'm a bit skeptical about that piece of advice. Can you guys tell me if there's any truth in it..?

Sorry for the bombardment, I'm just trying to get educated as quickly as I can, and finding this forum seems like I've struck gold.

Thanks to anyone who can be bothered answering, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Kindest regards,
Jack

str is a d22 stx st and rx are d40's. d22 is a good 4x4 but is a bit rougher riding than the d40. it has manual select 4x4 with freewheeling hubs. the d22 doesnt have much room in the rear. the d40 is a larger 4x4 and more room in the rear. some d40's come with child restraint anchoring points. as stock vehicles the d22 has more ground clearance than the d40. both would handle moreton or fraser ok. they have a timing chain not belt and the earlier models have been known to snap. just gotta keep an ear open for the rattle . theres plenty of info on here about both if you just search the forum

d40 also has more horsepower which would be handy for towing the jayco. if the kids are older then d40 definitely the extra room is a plus. sit in the back of both and you will soon feel the difference. very happy with my d22 but i don't have to carry extra people over long distances.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info.

I've found a 2010 D40 ST that I think I'm going to buy. I'm inspecting tomorrow. It's got 145,000 k's on it and has only done road work, around Brisbane. Besides the usual things, is there anything specific I should be looking out for..?

@nuckin futs - When you say "the earlier models" had a timing chain issue, does 2010 fall into that category in your opinion..?

Thanks again.

if your getting a manual d40, make sure the clutch works properly. most modern day manual 4wd's of different brands use dual mass flywheels to smoothen the drive train out. they are a know weak link, and are commonly swapped out for the normal single mass flywheel. but, not every vehicle suffers, same as the timing chain issue mentioned earlier.

If you are planning on towing the auto is best as the manual's clutch has been known to fail when towing heavy loads .

Thanks again everyone.

Should the clutch issue put me off manuals entirely..? I don't tow often. Maybe once or twice a year, and for maybe a week or two at a time. I mean the price I'm getting is pretty bloody good. Is it the kind of thing that might be an issue at some point or can we say with some certainty that at some point in the near future the clutch will cost me a couple of grand to replace..? Not looking for a crystal ball just wondering how bad the clutches are..?

Further to that, are we also saying that the autos don't have any problems of their own..? Meaning if I find some extra money now for an auto, I avoid a fairly major issue with the manuals, and I'm also not getting some other known issue with the auto..?

With regards to the restraints, can they not be installed fairly simply..? I mean from what I understand the model I'm looking at came out of Spain, but regardless, can't the anchor points be installed fairly easily..?

Last edited:
Im probably the least knowledgeable poster so far, but I wouldn't be put off buying a manual at all as long as you keep in mind that extensive heavy towing could have an impact on clutch and flywheel - I dare say just keep an eye out for something that looks well maintained at the right price.

The clutch could cost you a couple of grand, the previous owner may have even done it if it needed doing, if it has service history that should help. As for the restraints they are easy to fit, however by law you need to have them fitted and mod plated DCA "Duel cab anchorage". Also your Jayco camper probably is much less than 1.7t, so it's not exactly heavy towing.

Really no need for me to post, it's all been said!

The 2010 ST was a Thai build and very few of their timing chains had any trouble at all (so those that did were more likely manufacturing faults than a design problem).

Manual models can suffer from failing clutches due to the DMF being unable to shed heat - and that is the key. Don't ride the clutch and you can haul 3T without too much drama. Steep hill starts WILL bother it because the gearing in first is so tall. 1.7T is a worry up the Alpine Way if you have to stop on an incline. The trick is DON'T stop on steep inclines, and if you MUST (eg roadworks), ride the clutch JUST enough to get the vehicle going and then pop it out all the way and let the torque take the speed higher.

Okay thanks again everyone.

As pointed out 1,700 kgs was an over estimation on my part - It's actually around 1,300 so lighter than first thought. That said I'll definitely keep in mind the advice about hill starts.

Based on what I've learned here and on my own in the last 24 hours I think ideally I'm looking for an auto 2010 D40 ST-X, the problem is budget. I can get most of that but the auto transmission is just out of reach I think.

Also I wasn't aware of the DCA certification, so thanks for that advice. I'll definitely keep in mind that it would best if the anchor points are already there.

Thanks again everyone who contributed so far, I've learned a lot.

Latest posts

Back