Timing Chain Failures and Oil Filters

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Oil Filter Choices Have You Made?

• I've never had a timing chain fail

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • My timing chain has failed, only ever had genuine oil filters

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My timing chain has failed, used aftermarket oil filters

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters
the front timing cover needs to come out which is the front plate on the engine with the "Nissan" logo on it, should be straight forward job to do.

Well, had my timing chain replaced at 195,000km.. Best unit available, apparantly. Better than OEM parts.. Apparantly..

40,000km later AND... It needs a new timing chain.. YAY!!

Quality Fully Synthetic 5w Oils - EVERYTIME.. Quality Filters.. EVERYTIME.. 10K Oil changes and flushes...

Not happy - but at least it did not lunch an engine and it was caught before hand.

What was the condition of the tensioners?

Tensioners had totally sh!t themselves... These where apparently Better than OEM Quality.. One tensioner completely failed and the chain was left slopping around - hence the noise and the reason why i tray backed it into the get looked at..

The workshop that installed it did it correctly - big WA engine builders with YEARS and YEARS of experience... No fault on install found by the new workshop (just to keep any bias out of it)..

Kit is "only" covered by 12 month warranty.. And they would only supply a new kit, and not the labour required (no thanks). I could go to Consumer Protection and argue that it did not last the "lifetime" it was supposed to, however I am sure it would take MONTHS AND MONTHS and in the end, I would still lose out..

The kit was, as BODS has correctly stated, and Engines Australia Kit..

New kit is a tried, proved and well used replacement - that this workshop, and others, have had ZERO issues with..

Hurts doing 1 Timing Chain, now two is really soul destroying.. Silver lining is it was done before it let go and lunched the engine...

Last edited:
I was surprised when I striped my 2006 d40 stx with 200000km on it to replace the chains that there was very little wear.
I contemplated putting it back together but already had the yd25.com kit so did it for pice of mind
Only symptoms mine had to make me want to do the chains was cold start rattle.
I use Ryco filter and penrite hpr diesel 5/30 synthetic.

timing chain fuel pump chain

In NZ they have the d22 2000 to 2004 with the yd25 non common rail which has duplex fuel pump chain. We stock the same chain. People call form NZ with these early yd25 engines asking about the chains. We direct them to our web page for instructions how to check out the chain. Thus far our self or our distributor in nz have not supplied a single chain for the 2000 to 2004 yd25 engine. We have developed a fail safe component for the top genuine tensionor. It prevents the plunger retreating into the tensionor body from the new chain tensionor plunger position. If anyone needs assistance feel free to call 0424034935

I was surprised when I striped my 2006 d40 stx with 200000km on it to replace the chains that there was very little wear.
I contemplated putting it back together but already had the yd25.com kit so did it for pice of mind
Only symptoms mine had to make me want to do the chains was cold start rattle.
I use Ryco filter and penrite hpr diesel 5/30 synthetic.

The low turbo 2005 and some 2006 models do get exceptional life form the chains. Some up to 300000kms. in saying that dont take it for granted you have one of the good ones. Do the chain check on yd25.com.au web site or if you are local Brisbane
we do the pico scope check for free.

I'm looking to see if there's a trend with timing chain failures - are they related to oil filter choice?

If you have had a timing chain fail on you, this poll is for you!

Comments/extra discussion is welcome.
Ryco oil filters have definitely shortened my navs life. Initially I thought it was injector rattle. I'd changed the oil to several different brands grades, semi synthetic fully synthetic with no change! Brought a genuine man filter and instantly sounded completely different!
I didn't change the oil only the filter. The ute had just been going and yet the filter was empty... the z89.
Instantly the duplex chain that could always be heard was silent.
I assume the z89 bypass pressure isn't correct not allowing the oil jets in the oil pump housing to spray the chain as designed!!

Mines 2005 Pathfinder YD25 model and never done chain and no hint of rattle, I use ryco filters, penrite oil and moreys oil stabilzer every 5k the vehicle has now done over 407,000k and i have owned the car from new, these engines do not like shitty oil.

Mines 2005 Pathfinder YD25 model and never done chain and no hint of rattle, I use ryco filters, penrite oil and moreys oil stabilzer every 5k the vehicle has now done over 407,000k and i have owned the car from new, these engines do not like shitty oil.
Your vehicle is an early version most likely fitted a duplex chain.

Your vehicle is an early version most likely fitted a duplex chain.
When i took delivery of the vehicle the dealer did say it was one of the very first to land in Aus and i do note it has a few differences with other models like two factory fuel filters, different EGR, bigger radiator and air box ...........but i have been religious with oil changes every 5k from new, I have read articles where the Nissan CEO was on the take from about 2006 i think and started to slash costs by cutting corners and holding parts suppliers to ransom while he was lining his pocket with Renault

When i took delivery of the vehicle the dealer did say it was one of the very first to land in Aus and i do note it has a few differences with other models like two factory fuel filters, different EGR, bigger radiator and air box ...........but i have been religious with oil changes every 5k from new, I have read articles where the Nissan CEO was on the take from about 2006 i think and started to slash costs by cutting corners and holding parts suppliers to ransom while he was lining his pocket with Renault
To be honest I'm certain that you have over serviced your vehicle. Gone are the days of 3000mile service intervals. Most new vehicles are in the 10-15000 mile range or 6-12 months. Your early model vehicle most likely has the duplex chain and they are well known for achieving high km without the excessive servicing.
Its a fact the z89a has a different bypass pressure to OEM and in my vehicle the difference can be heard.

To be honest I'm certain that you have over serviced your vehicle. Gone are the days of 3000mile service intervals. Most new vehicles are in the 10-15000 mile range or 6-12 months. Your early model vehicle most likely has the duplex chain and they are well known for achieving high km without the excessive servicing.
Its a fact the z89a has a different bypass pressure to OEM and in my vehicle the difference can be heard.

Apparently timing chains are all the same on all Yd25s, I believe the problem occurred when Nissan tried to pump out more KW from the same engine in the later models, the only thing that was changed was the inlet outlet ports, otherwise engine is exactly the same, these engines do not like old oil, every 5k for oil and every 10k for oil and filter.

Last edited:
I am going to pipe in on this one.

"To be honest I'm certain that you have over serviced your vehicle. Gone are the days of 3000mile service intervals. Most new vehicles are in the 10-15000 mile range or 6-12 months. Your early model vehicle most likely has the duplex chain and they are well known for achieving high km without the excessive servicing."

Most new vehicles have those ridiculous service intervals of 10 to 15000 km to make them more appealing to consumers as it reduces service costs, this is nothing more than a sales pitch.

I have spent half a life time doing engine oil analysis monitoring and working a wide range of diesel machinery and vehicles. At 5000 km or 250 hours the engine oil has reached saturation point for safely neutralizing and or holding combustion by-products. At this point the oil should be drained and the oil filters replaced.

Will the oil keep lubricating after 5000 km, of course it will, it will keep lubricating until the oil pump can no longer pick it up . However those by-products it was designed to hold will begin to have adverse wear implications, deposits will adhere to internal surfaces and acids forming will start to attack parts, then the end result is accelerated wear.

In other words the cost of 5000 km service intervals is extremely cheap insurance.

Latest posts

Back