Going for manual to auto D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin_7

Reaction score
Ok, I'm buying a campervan soon & have been thinking about going from my 2012 st manual to an Auto.
I originally got the manual because of the reports of terrible fuel economy from auto owners, but it seems most are getting better now.
My mates friend has a 2013 & get similar economy to me (about 8.5-9l/100)..
Any ideas on what has been changed to achieve this?

Secondly will I be disappointed in regards to performance on & off-road if I go auto.

I'm also considering a ranger because they apparently have better gearing & awesome highway mileage figures.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The newer autos can lock their torque converters in more gears. The old ones like mine can only do it in drive above 75km/h - that helps narrow the gap. The gap is there because with an unlocked TC, some engine RPM is wasted in the slippage.

If you're going 550 you might not like the reaction of the box in 4LO.

The Ranger might suit too. It has more torque down low, I've heard - might be what you're looking for. I'm not sure how they tow - I know mine hauls the new 2.5T van nicely, and mine's got 3 more candles on its birthday cake than yours has.

What I can say from towing a car trailer about 250-3000 is the revese gearing is a pain in the ass, not to bad in low tho. Off road no complaints as 1st gear is bloody low. Up hills 4&5 are crusing gears so it starts to really lag getting up but leave it in 3rd you'll be right.
Personal with a 2012 i really wouldnt waste cash buying a new car as there are many people on her that tow daily with a Manual.

If you're still thinking of selling for an auto talk to OLD.Tony he tows a massive van with his AUto D40

Thanks for the replies, your advise has been very helpful.
A couple of mates have bought autos & keep pissing in my ear about how much better they are for towing & offroad.
Whether or not this them trying justify their choice im not sure.
Ill probably only be towing upto 1300kgs & most of the offroad stuff I do is on sand which I believe manual is probably more suited to.

Id love the power of the v6 engine, but the premium you pay between st & stx for that engine is a fair lump of coin.

So what your technique for hill starts when carrying a loaded trailer.
When I had my boat, id give it a few extra revs, ride the clutch out & feed on a little more power...but itd want to stall more than if I just let the clutch out with no accelerator.
Maybe I gotta try it with more revs.

Stick to the manual

I'm towing a 20ft full height van.
Just switched before christmas from an auto Pajero (had chip-it & DPF delete with manual TC switch) to a 2013 ST manual. Difference is beyond comparison.
Stick to the manual if I were you.
Main difference is that you drive proactively rather than reactively, makes more sense to change gears before you "really" need to rather than after you needed to.
Having said that I haven't experienced the auto in the Navs but there cant be that much difference in drivability between the auto box in the Navs and the Pajeros.

Last edited:
They were recommending the autos for heavy towing because the manuals had dual mass flywheels (the newer models like yours should all be single mass now). DMFs don't dissipate heat quickly, and the raised temps burn clutches a lot sooner than they should. DMFs do make the ride smoother by removing some of the lashing in a running engine, but if you're towing they're not the best.

That's why we bought an auto - apart from the fact that I prefer automatics with my steady march towards the world of zimmers, incontinence and making new friends every day.

I like a little clarity too.

ha ha ^^^
I wasnt aware that they had single mass flywheels now, ive been trying not to ride the clutch at all fearing the DMF would make me fry the clutch

Also happy to hear that they they have changed to single now, have the 2013 st and been worried about the issues with the clutch.

Someone with an early 2013 had reported it was a SMF. Would pay to check I suppose.

I was just now curious and googled it lol.

One post stated from mid 2012 they had changed there clutches to heavy duty, which I'm guessing SMF. Then again could be wrong, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

I guess if it doesnt & it lets go, we should be getting SMF's put in by Nissan under warranty

Latest posts

Back