Raw suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
I'm looking at upgrading my suspension on my D22 and found this.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/suspension/nissan/navara/d22.html

Haven't heard much about Raw set ups. It seems Like a good price.

What are your thoughts?
Mate I've just bought that kit from them, it's sitting on my garage floor right now... Will install it in the next couple weeks. I too hadn't heard much about them, especially on this forum. Guys on here have found a few brands and setups that have been found to work well and most people asking about suspension tend to go with a known option, which is fair enough.
I was curious though about this kit for the price, especially since it includes heavy duty torsion bars (which I'll need for the bullbar, winch and spotties going on soon). So I did a fair bit of googling and on a bunch of other forums I've found people giving them a pretty good wrap. Sure there's the usual few people saying they're a heap of junk (as I've found even when researching popular brands) but i'd say at least 80-90% recommend them.
They've got a typical 2 year (or 150,000k) warranty so if anything goes wrong they'll go back but I was happy to give them a go in the end.
This might not help you now though as I'm not sure how long that price will run for and I won't be fitting them for a few weeks to be able to give first hand feed back.

Powerdown, who make these parts, make quite a lot of truck shockies and have been around for years. I have the constant load springs in the rear of mine and they seem ok to me for now. Brought the rear up around 3 inches from what it was with the saggy stock springs. Didn't bother changing the torsion bars as my stock ones are fine. Replaced shockies with a different brand before fitting the springs so I may give their shockies a go when these ones die...

Thanks guys.
I'm on stock springs and shocks at the moment so I'm assuming anything would be better than that.
For that price I thing I might give it a go.

Thanks guys.
I'm on stock springs and shocks at the moment so I'm assuming anything would be better than that.
For that price I thing I might give it a go.
Yeah, I'm on stock stuff as well in a 2009 model so am keen to get these in. I have noticed just by looking at the raw shocks compared to the stockers that the raw ones look a bit meatier which is good and the springs look well put together the only thing they don't give you is new front pins for the springs. I've read that some people have had issues with getting the old stock pins out to reuse them and have had to cut the pins and get new greasable ones.
Also the price on the website doesn't include shipping. I picked it up from the store in brendale QLD but they still charged a small shipping fee to get it to their store cause they order each kit in from powerdown as needed, they don't keep stock as far as I could tell. Still at just under $900 total its still a great price.

Hey guys, I'm on raw shocks and leafs at the moment. Cost me $700 and I installed them myself. So far so good. Only been in for a couple thousand ks though. Can't see to much going wrong with them. I also purchased greasable pins and shackles and poly bushings for $200. All off ebay

Yeah, I'm on stock stuff as well in a 2009 model so am keen to get these in. I have noticed just by looking at the raw shocks compared to the stockers that the raw ones look a bit meatier which is good and the springs look well put together the only thing they don't give you is new front pins for the springs. I've read that some people have had issues with getting the old stock pins out to reuse them and have had to cut the pins and get new greasable ones.
Also the price on the website doesn't include shipping. I picked it up from the store in brendale QLD but they still charged a small shipping fee to get it to their store cause they order each kit in from powerdown as needed, they don't keep stock as far as I could tell. Still at just under $900 total its still a great price.
You can get greasable front eye pins. I wouldn't recommend fitting poly bushes without greasable pins as you need to keep them greased. I didn't have any trouble getting the old ones out of mine. Had to use a sledgy on the spanner though lol. Mine's a 2010 with about 65k km on it. Took about 2 hours all up changing the springs over.

You can get greasable front eye pins. I wouldn't recommend fitting poly bushes without greasable pins as you need to keep them greased. I didn't have any trouble getting the old ones out of mine. Had to use a sledgy on the spanner though lol. Mine's a 2010 with about 65k km on it. Took about 2 hours all up changing the springs over.
About greasable pins, just wondering how they keep the bushes greased up. In the bush kit for the front eyes there are crush tubes in there which I assume are installed into the bushes and then the pin slides through that. If you pump grease into the pin once installed all it would do is coat the surface between the pin and the crush tube and would not get any on the bush... Or do you not use the crush tube? I noticed the greasable shackles that come with the kit don't come with crush tubes, nor does the bush kit for the shackles so the re greasing up of the shackles makes more sense to me.
Also, have always wondered is it only the inner surface that needs re greasing over time? Cause it seems greasable shackles and pins only would allow new grease to get to the inner part of the bush not the outside surfaces... Maybe I'm not understanding how the bushes in shackles and pins work/move in relation to the springs...

About greasable pins, just wondering how they keep the bushes greased up. In the bush kit for the front eyes there are crush tubes in there which I assume are installed into the bushes and then the pin slides through that. If you pump grease into the pin once installed all it would do is coat the surface between the pin and the crush tube and would not get any on the bush... Or do you not use the crush tube? I noticed the greasable shackles that come with the kit don't come with crush tubes, nor does the bush kit for the shackles so the re greasing up of the shackles makes more sense to me.
Also, have always wondered is it only the inner surface that needs re greasing over time? Cause it seems greasable shackles and pins only would allow new grease to get to the inner part of the bush not the outside surfaces... Maybe I'm not understanding how the bushes in shackles and pins work/move in relation to the springs...

You are correct with the crush tubes, however you also need to lubricate the edges of the bush that sit in the eye of the spring. Greasable pins let you do this. With the shackle end, the inner part where the shackle pin runs through and the edges of the bush between the spring and shackle are the only parts that move, so they require lubrication too. Filling grease through the pin forces it out the edges too

Installed the raw kit today. I didn't do the torsion bars because I ran out of time. The original pins came out easy and I was able to reuse them. Got about 35-40mm in the rear. I was expecting a little more. Original shocks were done and wouldn't even rebound when compressed. Rides heaps better now. Pretty happy for the money. Will do the torsion bars when I get time.

Sounds about right probably. How many k's does it have on it? Mine came up probably at least 3 inches from where it was in the rear, but it is a 2010 with about 65k km on when I did the springs and a good 300ish kg in the tub. I also went with the constant load springs which from memory are a 5 leaf...

Sounds about right height wise without carrying a lot of weight. What measurement have you got from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the guard?

Driver side 770mm.
Passenger 760mm.
That was just after I installed them. I'm thinking they will settle a little.

Installed the raw kit today. I didn't do the torsion bars because I ran out of time. The original pins came out easy and I was able to reuse them. Got about 35-40mm in the rear. I was expecting a little more. Original shocks were done and wouldn't even rebound when compressed. Rides heaps better now. Pretty happy for the money. Will do the torsion bars when I get time.
I'm installing my kit next weekend, so i'll report back and let you know what lift I get in the back. I also went the medium load as I only carry about 80kg in the tub full time and then only goes up to about 150kg when camping... I was hoping it would go up by about 50mm but we'll see how we go after hearing how yours only went 35-40mm.

It really depends how sagged the old ones are. His only being a 2012 model, especially not carrying much weight will not have sagged a lot. I will measure mine this arvo. This is a pic of the clearance that I took a couple of weeks ago. Tub weight hasn't changed, but I will throw the tape measure on today just to see what they have settled to.
I should also add, that's with 265/75 tyres...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1436585638229.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1436585638229.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 254
Measured them tonight, 765mm left and right bottom of rim to bottom of guard. That's with 3/4 tank of fuel plus 300ish kg at least in the tub.

I have measured again this morning and over the weekend the rear has settled to 765mm left and right bottom of rim to bottom of guard.
I haven't had any weight in it yet but hopefully it stays were it is. I will be disappointed if it gets much lower.

Just installed my kit today. I am also concerned about the height I got in the back... Seems to be sitting at 750-755 from bottom of rim to bottom of guard, so I didn't even get what you guys have gotten out of yours... The kit was advertised as 50mm lift but I only got 35mm higher than my sagged stock leaves which only makes it about 20mm bigger than a stock one... People on here with other springs seem to get about 770-780mm... Will see how they go over the next few weeks though. The ride from the new shocks though is great. My stock ones also had no rebound left...

Latest posts

Back