egr valve question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kd0603

Reaction score
Now bear with me ,1st diesel and being given info from everyone from my brother to the primeminister of i know everything land
when talking to guys they all say 2.5cr your egr will fk you over at some point soon, ive heard of blanking plates and such and egr filters
then a mate asked a stupid question , do they make cleaner likeinjection cleaner or carby cleaner that will take thebuild up off the pipework and egr valve ?
wynns seem to make something but i dont know if its the right stuff,
was thinking instead of blanking the valve ,i could chuck some of the additive down the girls neck every second oil change instead as a preventative measure
what do you guys think🍺🍺🍻🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

there is some stuff around but its not something you can just easily do each oil change etc.

the only simple way to clean out egr and manifolds is to install water injection system.

^ and to add to the misery, if your car's been running with no catch can (or a full one!) and getting full blasts of sooty EGR, chances are your intake manifold looks worse than a smoker's lungs. You really don't want that coming loose and entering a cylinder so blasting it out while the engine is idling over isn't the best solution. Some of the guys here have removed their intake manifold (check this thread out for example) and cleaned it.

As for the EGR question - some countries don't even use EGR. EGR is an emission control measure, designed to dampen the combustion temperatures to prevent (reduce) the formation of nitrogen oxides (NOx where x = 1, 2, 3 or 4 and N20). N20 and NOx are produced at higher combustion temperatures and are only partially removed by a catalytic converter, so engineers decided to remove the pesky compounds by preventing them from forming. It has the downside of reducing engine power (marginally), increasing fuel consumption (marginally) and increasing visible (soot) particulate emissions (noticeably).

Blocking it will NOT harm your car. You WILL contribute more to the production of NO, NO2, NO3, NO4 and N20. N20 is the greenhouse gas, the others help to produce ozone (another greenhouse gas) through photochemical reactions in the atmosphere.

If you're caught with a blocked EGR valve in Australia the fine is something like $13K (probably more these days, I haven't checked if they changed the penalty units or the price of each unit). The chances of getting caught are really slim - an EPA officer would need to test the output of your exhaust in midrange operation (EGR is closed at idle and full throttle) and measure the NOx output and compare it to a table of output for your engine at the specific temperature your engine is at. Not going to happen.

Latest posts

Back