egr sluggish

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glynny82

Reaction score
Hello all. New to this forum. I recently took off the egr pipe to clean out soot. Since I have put the pipe back on the vehicle has been a bit sluggish. Any suggestions as to what this problem maybe? TIA

My guess is its now working and its been blocked for so long you were use to the extra pep it gave the engine..get a blank and cap off those filthy gasses!!

Thanks for the welcome and replies.
To be honest there wasn't much soot in there to begin with. Only slight dust. Mechanic thinks it maybe a turbo issue. But its only been happening since I took off the pipe and put it back on. Im wondering if its something I may have done wrong.

Engine noise is the same. Just seems to lack the power it had. the turbo seems less and doesnt seem to kick in as much so struggles a bit with hills.

It might be a coincidence that the turbo has failed (or is failing) at the same time, but the exhaust pressure is what drives the turbo and the EGR opening affects the exhaust pressure. Swilling exhaust fumes in the intake manifold affects it too, which is the more common issue.

If you can take your EGR pipe off, make a blanking plate for the exhaust side of the tube out of 1mm stainless or better. You can make one for the intake manifold side as well, to ensure no boost leaks (which might also be your problem).

D22s have different turbos to D40s - which model is yours? D22s use a wastegate, D40s use variable vanes. The D40s can be upset by a poorly sealing vac hose.

Mine is the d40. 2.5 diesel auto.
Ill try out a blanking plate and see how that goes. Also ill check all hoses for any leaks. Thanks for the advice mate. Appreciate it.

Before you pull it apart, idle the engine and look under the gold round thing sitting on top of the turbo. There should be a 10mm-thick arm that moves up and down about 3-4mm almost randomly. If that's doing it, the turbo control is probably working normally so you can probably not bother with the hoses.

If that's not happening, start with the hoses first.

Ok so i just took a look and there was an eroded hose that was pretty much not doing anything. I cut it back and put it back onto the nipple on top of the round part on top of the turbo. Ill see how it goes when I finish work, hopefully that will be it.

Latest posts

Back