ZD30T turbo and intercooler upgrades

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trazz

Reaction score
Hi i was just wonderin if anyone has done any turbo and intercooler upgrades on there ZD30T's?

I've been told to put a VNT turbo (off the patrol ZD30) on with a water air barrel

Any tips or hints would be handy pics if any ones done it

Thanks

Dont bother with the GU turbo, its controlled by the computer so its a bit of dicking aroung.

My Nav is intercooled. Speaking of which Ill grab some pics in a minute.

Dave.

trouble with VNT is they are prone to seizing. yes you can convert them to boost control.
personally i would look at the latest generation VNT as they are a lot more efficient, someting like produce 10% more boost for 30% less backpressure (roughly).

found a bit on it thats more accurate....

"Third Generation VNT™

This new “platform” spawned several high performance innovations – a new vane shape, a new generation turbine wheel and better controllability – all combining to deliver 130% of second generation VNT™ boos levels at just 90% of back pressure."

so ~30% more boost with 10% less backpressure.

its on garrets website under vnt turbo's. no idea if they make one that would suit this motor.

i would go front mount. more than a few threads with pics on them.

there are some very good water/air IC's around (check out ARE) but those barrels are cheap and not all that good. main thing with water/air is reliability. a leaking cooler will ruin your day really quick.

A frount mount wouldnt work very good.
(With little air flow when 4wheel driving) Reason for water cooling

true but then engine fan helps a bit there and egt's don't seam to get all that high.
the problem with water IC is while its theoretically efficient its not as good as normal IC at road speeds. you have to get a very good water IC to come close to a normal IC. use a cheap shitty design and you will be a mile out.

Wuldnt it be better for tuning and alround water cooler having a min change in temps
when working hard or even just crusing

tuning would be a bit better, but don't forget you still have to get rid of the heat to the ambient air.

how would you go about that
water/air you still transfer het via a radiator which you would mount up front. at least gettign the water pipes up there is a LOT easier than a front mount IC.

however to get rid of the heat you still need airflow, so it would have to have a fan of some sort.

Hey boys,

These intercooler kits look like they could be a nice bit of kit!

D22 Navara Top Mount Intercooler Kit w/ Bonnet Scoop from Cross Country 4x4.

-> D22 Navara Top Mount Intercooler | Products | Cross Country 4x4 <-

-brocky

i don't know how great it is having an IC over the top of a hot turbo and alternator. not to bad if you had a decent fan on it but heatsoak will be real bad.

Latest posts

Back