Go Back   The Navara Forum > D40 > D40 Electrical

Sports bar LED brake light install.
Old 30-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Sports bar LED brake light install.

G'day guys , i have picked up a black sports bar off a new D40 st-x 550 and wanting to wire the LED brake light to my 08 st-x . Does anybody know the easiest / safest way of doing this ??
Sponsored Links

Old 30-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:

I would think you could just run a wire back from the tail light wire loom under the side gunnel of the tray, so its up out of the way and out of sight.

Old 30-07-2012, 12:18 PM
banned

^ What he said, wouldn't get much easier than that.

Old 30-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

I installed a Hi Level brake light into my non Nissan sports bar and ran the lines from the trailer connector cable. That way I wasnt messing with the factory wiring. From there along the chassis rail to up behind the fuel filler cap. There is a small gap under the top rolled edge of the tub so you can virtually hide the wiring outa harms way.Make sure to use a waterproof type connector so if you ever want to take the bar off for whatever reason you can without having to cut anything
100% Engineered 100% Legal !
Custom paint
Glasurit Pure Black with 5%Blue Pearl

My 4x2 towed 8 tonnes of Bandag Bullet and Cost Nissan a fortune under warranty!!!
" we are on right side of car and opposite side to right is wrong therefore you drive on wrong side lol"
Edit/Delete Message

Old 31-07-2012, 12:55 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Keen to see this done, i wouldn't mind doing it myself. If only i knew which wires were which from the trailer connector. Im guessing a test light would tell me?

Old 31-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

My Mood:
Garage

I actually pulled out the tail light and followed the wires down lol. I had it all apart for something else so it was easier then trying to meter it. Plus I had the wiring diagram for the trailer hitch connector .My Hi Level break light is actually from a F350 Supercab so it had white LED's for courtesy lights so I wired those to reverse. That was not so easy as the trailer connector doesnt have reverse so had to find the loop in the harness adaptor and connect to that.
4 years on and still working so must have got it right lol
100% Engineered 100% Legal !
Custom paint
Glasurit Pure Black with 5%Blue Pearl

My 4x2 towed 8 tonnes of Bandag Bullet and Cost Nissan a fortune under warranty!!!
" we are on right side of car and opposite side to right is wrong therefore you drive on wrong side lol"
Edit/Delete Message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Got it done today, just ran the wires back to the tail light loom where it connects into the back of the light. The wiring sits behind the left side of the tub liner out of sight.. All good so far.

Stx550 sports bar on ST - wiring
Old 28-01-2020, 09:34 AM

Default Stx550 sports bar on ST - wiring

Hi guys, almost a decade later I bought the stx550 bar with the brake light . Now it came with a long harness and plugs that plugged perfectly into the rear left tail light.

Issue is I have an ARB tub liner and if I can avoid removing would be great , I canít seem to find a way to bring the wire from the left side of the bar to the taillight. Running on inside of tub isnít an option as at one point it will have to get into the body/rear tail light (no provision)...

Is there a drainage plug under the tub liner (I canít see any indication of one under the tub...) is my only option going through the tub liner?

Thanks

Old 28-01-2020, 10:17 AM

Having just removed a Black sports bar from my NP300 and the brake light cable, the cable ran under the inside lip and down under the tank in the L/H corner where its bolted , Where there was a plug ,to connect mine .
but you could follow the chassis all the way to the rear wiring harness that runs across the back behind the bumper , there is a hole where you can excess the rear tail light ,

Old 02-02-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber.2 View Post
Having just removed a Black sports bar from my NP300 and the brake light cable, the cable ran under the inside lip and down under the tank in the L/H corner where its bolted , Where there was a plug ,to connect mine .
but you could follow the chassis all the way to the rear wiring harness that runs across the back behind the bumper , there is a hole where you can excess the rear tail light ,
Thanks Amber. I wonder if itís be the same for the d40. Iím just waiting for the weather to cool down to start