D22 3.0 front mount cooler for $500!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah it is. I insulated all the pipes today.
I just got some hot water/steam pipe insulation.
Got it from Bunnings, $3.50 p/m. Looks factory now!
Everything Is black and looks the part. Made virtually no
Difference to the noise what so ever though.
Slightly muffled but is still loud. Of well :)

My northside one arrived today, it wasn't $500 but it looks like a top notch job, better than anything I'd come up with. If its easy enough to fit ill be happy I spent the extra coin. If you confident with doing you own, I say save the coin and do your own, good work on finder other ways :)

I had a look at what a few other guys had done in here first. Then had a Long look at the available space and where I might put the pipes. I then just kept going through what was available Off eBay until I found a universal kit that I thought would work. I ended up with a couple of pipes left over and I had to cut a couple as well. No big deal though. It's all pretty sweet now and looks like its meant to be there!

considering I am a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanic/car related is this job going to be something I could do properly without screwing sh*t up?

Nice thread mate, im pretty keen on puttin a front mount on my nav, although i dont want to cut a hole in the bullbar support so might have to try find a way that i can work around that.

Bart

It realy is an easy job to do. Just make sure your prepaired and have everything you need before you start. I'd love to give anyone a hand. I work away though, i'm FIFO, and i'm currently halfway through house renovations so chances are i'll be pretty well booked out! sorry :(

nice job on the install, i beleive i recently ordered similar intercooler, it was the upgrade for the xr6 intercooler, they claimed it gave the xr6 a 20kw gain over the standed, so i assumed it would work well in the nav, was going to do pipe work my self but after speaking to the local performance exhaust shop who are going to be doing my exhaurst upgrade, they will also do the intercooler pipe work for $200-$500 depending how much work involved.
so once my snorkle and intercooler arrive i will do it all at the same time. post some pics aswell. but definetly i nice install on your behalf.

nice job on the install, i beleive i recently ordered similar intercooler, it was the upgrade for the xr6 intercooler, they claimed it gave the xr6 a 20kw gain over the standed, so i assumed it would work well in the nav, was going to do pipe work my self but after speaking to the local performance exhaust shop who are going to be doing my exhaurst upgrade, they will also do the intercooler pipe work for $200-$500 depending how much work involved.
so once my snorkle and intercooler arrive i will do it all at the same time. post some pics aswell. but definetly i nice install on your behalf.

gees, where are you located? $500 sounds a lot better than what i was quoted!

jest_r said:

Thanks mate! I don't think I would have done anything differently to do it again. Maybe thicker pipe. The walls on what I used were only like 1-1.5mm thick. Would be nice to have 2-2.5mm think. Only reason is that I think it would make it a bit quieter. The turbo noise is very noticeable inside the cab when driving. Not so bad outside and I'm used to it now anyway. The exhaust isn't very much louder at all. 3" dump pipe, straight through cat and straight through muffler. The difference us in the speed the turbo spools up. It's poles apart from standard! It's instant! Don't notice anymore power (doesn't feel to take off harder or anything) but it just doesn't slow down on hills. At all. Much flatter torque curve I imagine. Egt sensor in, gauge to go in next week end as well as boost gauge. Then the boost controller, give it a bit more (prob set it at 17-18 psi, I'll have a play with that) then the module! More fuel than! That will give a noticeable result!

Thanks mate! I don't think I would have done anything differently to do it again. Maybe thicker pipe. The walls on what I used were only like 1-1.5mm thick. Would be nice to have 2-2.5mm think. Only reason is that I think it would make it a bit quieter. The turbo noise is very noticeable inside the cab when driving. Not so bad outside and I'm used to it now anyway. The exhaust isn't very much louder at all. 3" dump pipe, straight through cat and straight through muffler. The difference us in the speed the turbo spools up. It's poles apart from standard! It's instant! Don't notice anymore power (doesn't feel to take off harder or anything) but it just doesn't slow down on hills. At all. Much flatter torque curve I imagine. Egt sensor in, gauge to go in next week end as well as boost gauge. Then the boost controller, give it a bit more (prob set it at 17-18 psi, I'll have a play with that) then the module! More fuel than! That will give a noticeable result!

im intrested to see where you used the mounts to mount the intercooler on the front, seems im going to have to do some fabricating to get it where it needs to be, already had to cut off center support of the grill as intercooler is too tall to fit under, going to be a very tight squeeze getting the bottom pipe around the bull bar support. as soon as i get this on i can send it to exhaust shop to do the pipe work and new exhaust, buy the time i get it back my new chipit chip should have arrived with manual boost controller, chipit seems to think i we will be able to extract out some decent power with all the mods.

gees, where are you located? $500 sounds a lot better than what i was quoted!

im located about 40mins north of brisbane. local performance exhaust shop quoted over the phone, 200-$500 depending on the difficulty, im guessing by looking at it that it will be towards the $500 mark.

My northside one arrived today, it wasn't $500 but it looks like a top notch job, better than anything I'd come up with. If its easy enough to fit ill be happy I spent the extra coin. If you confident with doing you own, I say save the coin and do your own, good work on finder other ways :)

Hey mate. How did you go with the northside intercooler. Fit up ok? Have you got any photos of the install you could post? Interested in what needs drilling/cutting.

Cheers Pete

Peteyen86 said:
Hey mate. How did you go with the northside intercooler. Fit up ok? Have you got any photos of the install you could post? Interested in what needs drilling/cutting.

Cheers Pete

Hey mate, there are a few pics in my build section. Intercooler fits perfect and was breezy to fit. Would've been smoother had my mate not had my holesaw set, but tin snips and a file made easy work of the panel hole.

Attachments

• image-3816706459.jpg
    image-3816706459.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 254

Latest posts

Back