RH low beam works but not Hi-beam

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeymagic77

Reaction score
Hello all

my beams don't work properly..i check and replaced bulbs still doesn't work..when i turn on the high beam.. RH turns off but LH works fine..i also replaced the 15a fuses in cabin

anyone ever experienced it? i suspect its an earthing issue but i cant see where its earthed..

:tazzy:

It's the switch. Pull out the stalk unit, pop the plastic off the back, clean the contacts gently and reshape the fingers a little bit so they touch well but only when they're on. It might take a few goes.

There should be 3 wires running up to the globe. One of these will be earth, one low beam and one high beam.

Grab a multimeter.

Remove this plug from the back of the LH headlight (so you can see how it's supposed to work). Test resistance from each pin to the vehicle body - one will be 0 ohms, that's the earth. The same pin in the RH headlight will be earth as well. Now, just for completeness, change the multimeter to Volts (0-50V range if your multimeter isn't an autoranging unit) and put the black lead into the earth pin. Now test the other two pins with low beam and high beam - now you'll know which pins are for what.

Now go test the other headlight. You'll know immediately whether it's an earth problem or there's a fault in the high beam wire. I'm guessing it's a high beam relay problem, or a broken wire - which does happen - but until you've done the diagnostics you won't know for sure.

Also a better long term solution is to install relays for the headlights, that's something the d21 missed out on, and the switch isn't really up to the task of full current after 20+ years.

Oh, the switch carries full current? Damn. Probably will be the stalk for sure - and yes, go the relays!

Pin 30 to battery (use a 20A fuse). Pin 85 to the high beam wire from the car. Pin 86 to the headlight high beam wire. Pin 87 to earth.

thanks for all the replies guys really appreciate it..

i dont know how to wire relays i might break something.. but ill attempt to take off the stalk now and give it a shot now ill try and take pics... what for? i dunno so i look technical lol

cheers :D

It's a simple job, try out all your local auto elecs, one of them will do it for $50 or less.

thank you so much for all your suggestions..

i got the hi beams working! :D now my baby spotlights work too haha yayyy! ill hit up a auto elecy alittle later..

Latest posts

Back