Boost Gauge Auber Instruments, overboost?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Okay guys,

I recently installed a boost gauge from Auber instruments seen here http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_26&products_id=226

coupled with their 3 bar MAP sensor for diesel engine
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_23&products_id=201

I have it all hooked up and running with the settings set as the instructions state http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Auber 303 Manual.pdf and http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Auber 303 Installation Guide.pdf

With the instrument zero'd so it reads 0 at idle/engine off. Now with my stock turbo my boost pressure is shooting all the way up to 20psi peak. This seems really high as most people quote stock ZD30 is like 14-16psi and there is supposed to be a boost cut at 18psi.

So either my gauge is working incorrectly (or incorrect pressure transducer but it has the look and all the correct markings of an Auber 303 sensor) or my vehicle is somehow overboosting. How can I make an accurate diagnosis as to what the problem actually is. The car is a 2004 ZD30 D22 and it runs absolutely fine. I have Rumpigs ECU remap running, and going back to the stock ecu made no difference in boost levels, it just took the car back to it's natural gutless state haha.

I had planned to run a NXS Manual Boost controller to up my boost from stock, however when installed at its initial setting it took my boost peaks up to 23psi.

I am so lost, can anyone provide any insight?

Cheers,
Shorty

Where have you put the sender? I'm guessing it gets screwed into a section of the piping?

Sensor is tee'd inline with hose for the map sensor. I haven't checked the rpm for max boost id say 3.5-4k. I took off the wastegate today and moves freely however the spring is super stiff. Like I couldn't move it on the car. Had remove it and I could get it to move pulling it apart with my hands. There so no way I could retract the waste gate to it's limit though, too hard. I am not sure what tension a wastegate usually has, and if anything an 11 year old waste gate spring should be slacker and easier to move than a new one

you checked voltage setting and also PuL and PuH?

also check its the correct sensor.

Yeah I set the pul and puh values so that my gauge reads zero. Had to adjust the values by 12.2 cos it was reading -12.2 when I first put it in. The sensor has auber 303 sticker on it and the picture on the setup guide has a picture which resembled the sensor. It had a little rubber grommet thing on the end of the sensor which I had to remove to for the 6mm VAC hose over

Springs do have a fair bit of tension, you should have to stretch the arm 3-5mm to get it on the wastegate.

I don't have to stretch it at all. From its neutral position bolted to the turbo I can just move the wastegate part on the back of the turbo/dump pipe to line up with the wastegate actuator

the specs can be found in the manual and you can check it easy with a vaccum pump whether it works corrently or not

I've had similar issues using a ball and seat boost controller (similar to Dawes valve). I thought the waste gate actuator operated with pressure rather than vacuum? I've tried setting the spring resistance in the controller from about 10psi through to 18psi in stages and doesn't seem to change peak boost. VDO 15psi gauge dial goes all way round until it hits the back of the zero pin. Maybe 18psi. Actuator set up so peak boost is around 13psi when the controller is not in. Turbo still spools up at the same time around 1200 rpm. Peak boost/over boost varies on throttle position and the amount of weight in the tray, if I've got the trailer on with a bit of weight it peaks sooner maybe around 2800 rpm.

I am not using an manual boost controller at the moment, this so stock boost. What controls stock boost levels? The wastegate actuator and the map sensor? Should I try finding someone who I can do a swap with to see if there is any difference when I use someone else's?

Do you have an ecutalk cable? Might be useful to check what boost levels the ecu is seeing, to at least verify the accuracy of your Auber gauge.

Yeah I don't have one. Guess I'll have to dish out the coin for it haha do you just need to buy the cable then plug into a laptop?

The only thing that is weird with the auber gauge is in the instructions it says that the newest model has brown power wire, blue signal wire and yellow with green stripe ground wire. And older version has red power wire, signal wire is green and black ground wire. In my map sensor I have a red power wire and a black ground wire then I have a yellow wire, I just assumed this was the signal wire. But maybe I could have an incorrect wire seeing as the wire colours don't match?

I just had a look at their other pressure transducers and the configuration and look of the actual transducer seems unique to the auber-303 transducer and it looks what mine looks like. The wire colouring may be just a grammatical error.

Latest posts

Back