2003 ZD30 cranks but won't start - no glow plug or engine lights displayed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantatts

Reaction score
Hey guys, jumped in the Navara the other day & tried to start - no good. Engine cranks, but won't start.

What I've checked:
Fuel leaving fuel filter, primer getting hard after 2-4 pumps, charged battery to ensure correct starting voltage, engine bay/block earthing, all fuses have been metered & replaced if old, relays have been removed & tested for switching, I have metered 2 of the 4 glow plugs that were easy to access (4ohms), checked oil level, tried starting with fuel cap open, removed battery terminals for several hours to reset Ecu.

What is happening:
Only the battery & oil pressure lights appear on the dash, voltage is not reaching the glow plugs after the relay. The relay tests out fine when voltage is applied to it.

I'm running out of ideas. Is there an oil pressure switch which holds the ignition system out that could be faulty?
Or is the ecu cactus? Or something more nasty like the fuel injector pump? I would expect to see my engine warning light flash some codes or something..
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm up in cairns, and it's almost time for water sports, I need to be able to tow & go camping!

I had a similar problem recently with cranking and no start but I don't think I had any lights on the dash. I had blown a fusible link when I shorted my turbo on the alternator trying to fit my dump pipe

Update: all lights are on the dash now... It's doing strange things hey.. I could wiggle the key in the ignition in the on position & every now & then the engine light & glow plug light would come on?

Anyways, they are are on solid today. Glow plug light comes on, but I have 0 voltage to the glow plug relay. What controls power to this relay on a zd30?

doesn,t the ignition switch control the power for the glow plugs. when you turn on the ignition the glows light up. i say you need a new ignition switch.

Does anyone have the diagram for the ignition switch to the glow plug relay then? If I can bridge it out to test, then I can confirm the barrel is the actual problem 👍🏼

As far as I was aware, the ecu controlled the glow plugs as it lets them stay on until the coolant gets to a certain temperature...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back